Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thoughts from anyone owned BMW 5 series or Mercedes Benz E class and Tesla model 3

Options
  • 06-02-2024 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭

Hi,

If anyone has owned a BMW 5 series or MB E Class and a Telsa model 3; what are you thoughts, which do you prefer & why?

I'm looking 2018/19/20, want very nice interior (which each has in their own way)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

3 different cars.

Can you clarify what version of each?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The Model 3 is a segment below the E Klasse and 5er

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

I'm currently in the market for a second car, likely an EV, and a Model 3 is the obvious choice in California where I now live.

I'd been in them before, and looking back I was maybe a bit distracted by the novelty of it all, but I got into a Taxi the other day and I was seriously put off. Terribly harsh ride, loud, sparse interior and poor material qualities. In terms of overall ownership, the best fast charging network, price point, and infotainment do all come into play, but it really isn't somewhere I could sit every day for my commute.

All tech aside, when doing a commute daily, I want quiet cabin, comfortable seats and simple ergonomic controls. I've owned a W212 E-Class and F30 3-Series and both easily beat the Model 3 in all of those areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭frank730

If you live in California you should ask on us Internet forums , their standard versions normally have higher spec than here due to market competition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

A Tesla and BMW 5 series are not comparable at all - the 5 would be vastly superior especially for interior quality etc

• Advertisement

You would think that……..But..

Ive a 2020 Model 3 here that the interior hasn’t work in the slightest compared to a 2019 G30 5 series which has trim peeling and worn steering wheel.

I think BMW’s “premium” status is long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Really boils down to whether you want an EV or not, then the choice is very simple between taking Tesla or taking one of the Germans. That's your first thing to figure out, should be straightforward enough decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

It really depends on your definition of quality too. By almost any measure, Toyota quality far exceeds Mercedes, but I know where I'd prefer to sit for (potentially) hours every day.

As for the Model 3, I find the seats very hard and plasticky, and that I slide around them way too easily, but I've no doubt that they would last a very long time compared to something softer which would be subject to more fatigue IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Maybe it's subjective but I couldn't sit in any Tesla for longer than 30 seconds they're all nasty - cheap plastic interior.

Sit in a new g60 and IMO it's a massive step up from the Tesla. Although i do agree BMW are going backwards - the g60 interior has a lot of cost cutting measures compared to the g30.

My favourite interior is still Porsche - definitely a step up again from BMW.

I've no doubt a G60 should feel better than a Tesla that's near half its price. I was in the i5 and the 520i in Duffy's. They are a step backwards and full of plastic now. But that's the way the world is going, less rare earth materials, less leather, fake leather etc

• Advertisement

Of course, completely depends on the person. I've done round country trips in a Tesla, BMW and Mercedes. Not much between them to be honest. Other the the massive price increase on the German cars. In fact, the Tesla was a lot more focused considering it was a Performance Model.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭User1998

Having experienced all of these cars, I would put the interior of a Tesla Model 3 higher than a C Class or 3 series, but not as luxurious as an E Class or 5 series. That being said I’d still have a Tesla any day of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Core6

I have an E Class estate and a Tesla Model 3.

The E Class is definitely a significant step above the Model 3 in terms of quality feel even though the E Class is almost 12 year old.

That isn't a fair comparison though as the E Class Estate starts at nearly €86,000 new now compared to less than half that for a Model 3 new.

We prefer driving the Model 3 primarily for the tech but also for the way it drives.

A major consideration in favour of the Model 3 (or any EV) is the running costs which are dramatically lower than the E Class (or any ICE car).

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Woodie40

The Tesla is not comparable with BMW or Mercedes, the Tesla has a cheap harsh interior and the newer version with the tacky Tesla sign on the back is even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭GPoint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭sh81722

Yep.

Right. So the new interior is an improvement on the tactile front but a model 3/Y is not trying to be a premium vehicle. And how can you call T E S L A lettering tacky and in the same sentence say that BMW's design choices like the lit grille on 7 is somehow not tacky. One of them is easy to remove if you don't like it. And in general I think many, if not most, of the new cars are getting very tacky with all the weird design additions that serve no purpose. Simplicity is where it's all at as far as I am concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

After considerable consideration, I'm going for a......Tesla model 3, 2021 with low mileage.

Why? Many people say it's more fun to drive, the immediate acceleration is fantastic for overtaking etc., lower running & maintenance cost, the large screen. And for the same money I'd be looking at a 2019 BMW 5 series with much higher mileage.

If I don't like it after X time, I'll go for a BMW probably.

You’ll be dismissed by the German fanboys soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

We'll have to buy a BMW as the 2nd household car and then am covered.... 😂

• Advertisement
Advertisement