Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs being surrendered

Options
  • 05-02-2024 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

I see in the news again 400 dogs given up since Christmas, you would think at this stage with all the warnings given that people would cop on and think it through about getting a dog .I know some situations change that's different but the majority seem to be just folk realising that a dog requires care and attention .

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

That's 400+ dogs in one rescue shelter!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It's beyond bizzare.

It's consumerism gone mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

That makes me feel ill. Sometimes I think dogs are just bought for insta pics.

The more you give a dog the more you get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,634 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Succesive governments indulging scumbags in the Puppy Farm industry has alot to do with this too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭bigroad

Yea selfish idiots or just a bit dim in the head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Yup.

Was gonna say some people are pigs, but not gonna insult other animals by comparing them to some humans...

What kind of people are able to abandon dogs, puppies especially... Never understood that. Dog is for life and dog does the same for us. Sad is there's is so many people able to fook up that relationship.

Post edited by xhomelezz on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I think a lot of dogs are abandoned when people realise the cost of keeping a dog, and a lot of the puppy farm dogs are inbred which in turn leads to increased health problems and hefty vet bills

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You can blame terribly bad parenting for the majority of it and unrealistic expectations for the remainder.

An absolute joke in this day and age that people either cannot say no to kids and/or have no appreciation for whatis involved in owning a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Family Pets should be neutered by law.

breeders should be licenced after passing a strenuous testing procedure.

Any breeding without a licence should carry massive fines.

Dog licence should be supplied by law by the breeder and all dogs should be on a register.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That would take enforcement. We don't really do enforcement in this country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Yeah Right

The elephant in the room that nobody ever mentions is that plenty of these are 'failed' gambling dogs. Lurchers and greyhounds form an extraordinary amount of the dogs for adoption in pretty much any shelter. <People who breed them> are great at dumping those that are too slow or otherwise unsuitable. Better than using them as bait dogs for blooding the fighting dogs, I suppose.

Mod edit: post edited to remove racial comment. Do not use this forum to vent on such matters.

Thanks,

DBB

Post edited by DBB on

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Terrier2023

You can spot an inbred puppy farmed dog they are very nervous bitey and afraid of everything. I come across them regularly in a boarding kennel and they have good homes but the dogs just cant hack it and eventually they are surrendered as they are not like the happy ones on Tik ToK.

The media in general have a lot to answer for. for instance when Game of Thrones was at its peak huskys malmute all those wolf like dogs were bought tin huge numbers. When one of the kardashians got an italian greyhound they went through the roof and they are very delicate sensitive dogs. So i think those who crave attention should not show the world which dog they have they should keep that a secret so as to help all dogs but unfortunately its the dogs people want to know about not the narcissist who bought him..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Just talking about celebrities and their dogs, it's also worth pointing out the ones who act responsibly and take a rescue dog, despite obviously having the means to get a designer puppy or a pure breed.

Of course because they are decent responsible people, despite being famous, we probably don't hear as much about that happening. One I know of is through an Irish guy I follow on twitter, Niall Harbison, who started out feeding street dogs in Thailand. I won't put a link as I don't know if that's allowed but he's on twitter and instagram.

Anyway, they sometimes have to rescue street dogs if they're too young/too old/too soft to go back to the streets, and not long ago, one of the families who adopted one of their dogs was Liam Gallagher from Oasis - he just applied same as anyone, didn't pull any strings or anything.

Someone else, who's less well-known in Ireland is a former BBC broadcaster, Rory Cellan-Jones, who posts about how they've been dealing with the young dog they adopted from Romania who has terrible anxiety issues. They didn't give up on her though, they've worked with her and brought in a dog trainer and have made amazing progress. His posts are on twitter too, Sophie from Romania, if anyone's interested.

(Not entirely sure it would encourage people to adopt from Romania TBH, as not everyone has the means to put into working with a dog with deep-seated issues, but it's important to realise what having a dog means. And it might encourage people to adopt closer to home, where you can get to know the dog beforehand.)

Advertisement