Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King Charles has cancer

Options
  • 05-02-2024 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭

So the BBC have just read statement from Buckingham Palace that Charlie has got cancer, hopefully not too serious and he makes a full recovery soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

King???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Sounds like he had prostate cancer that’s gone elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Only 18 months into the job, and after waiting 60 odd years to inherit it, King Charles of England has received a diagnosis of prostate cancer, following recent surgical treatment.

And so, with the Elizabethan era still not cold behind us, what future for the monarchy in Britain and of the United Kingdom itself?

Any serious progression of this illness would surely add to the great instability in Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭thegame983

I'm sure this thread will be nothing but respectful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,547 ✭✭✭✭briany

I wonder if they're announcing this because it's actually reasonably serious and will take Charles out of public life for a while, whereby his absence would surely be noticed, or is it that it's minor enough, but they don't want to have that thing of a tabloid breaking the story first?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Like anyone else with cancer I hope he pulls through, luckily he will have the advantage of the best possible cancer care plan available to him unlike most of his "subjects".

The daily mail is going to go into overdrive, hey I suppose at least it will take their focus away from attacking immigrants and trans people for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

Will he hand over the Crown?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I wish the King a full and speedy recovery.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Can't say I like either the King or the monarchy but joking about someone who's just announced that they have cancer is absolutely disgusting.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Ah that's tough wish him well he waited so long to be king and then this hits him.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Hopefully caught in good time.

Wish him a speedy and good recovery

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

Harry's in the air on his way back, sounds advanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

On a personal level I'm sure many including myself have had family members ill and die from this awful disease, so I wish him well. Even though I don't know him from Adam I have to say I admire his openness about it. That's in contrast to the hush hush about the Princess of Wales illness, although it's her right to keep it private too I suppose.

My spidey feeling is that ok, KC is ill with cancer, but it will sure take the focus off the P.O.W. now. Her illness could be just as serious.

Arise King Harry maybe if there is a slew of abdications.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Cancers a bitch. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I think Charles is a solid sort and a force for good as King and he has many years ahead. He's always been good on NI and Ireland and I wouldn't be surprised if he steadily guided Sunak in their meetings.

Hoping he has a full recovery for himself and because our neighbours need stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Cancer doesn’t pass any family by. Wishing him the best for his upcoming treatment.

Both my parents survived cancer and humour often was the tonic we all needed when the going was tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Unless somebody assassinates Williams 3 kids Harry is out of the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

They stated he doesn’t have prostate cancer. A form of cancer but didn’t disclose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

If William passes the buck due to his children then Harry has to get it due to ages of the kids.

William surely hates Harry enough to take it on the chin though. Arise King Pegger the I.

I'll bet Nostradamus is laughing from beyond the grave all the same.

• Advertisement

It's cancer

Yeah I thought people would have at least thought about their words before hitting reply but yeah I probably should have known better.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,674 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I do understand the mixture of schadenfreude, because the monarchy is a corrupt and thieving institution, "ha karma" etc. but also cancer is a sonofabitch and effects everyone rich and poor. I've lost my own family members to cancer and it's awful, they were taken too soon, salt of the earth people, so in this summation I feel there is a sensitive line to broach when it comes to the topic at hand. Try and remember your peers may have lost a loved one to cancer and not see Charles' diagnosis as something to poke fun at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

British media in hyperdrive.

Ok it's cancel but these days it's not a death sentence.

Depending on what it is he could bounce back expeditiously.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,674 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It still accounts for 1 in 6 deaths worldwide. Nearly 10 million deaths in 2020 alone.

And there were 18.1 million total cases worldwide in 2020:

Saying it's not a death sentence is respectfully, splitting a semantic hair between 'having a chance' and not having any at all. Having a less than 45% chance of survival is emotionally devastating.

Prostate cancer has a high rate of survival, 98 to 99%+, but it depends on being caught early.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Get Real

If William did for some (unlikely) reason pass the buck, it'd be his son, prince George would be king. Harry has nothing to do with it/isn't in the line of succession.

So the young fella George would be king and a regent appointed on his behalf until he turned 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I think it's fairly obvious to most what operation she had, why though is the mystery. No young woman wants that personal information out in the public domain. I reckon she will talk about it herself when the times right for her

I wish Charles the best, he loves Ireland and wants to visit every county

I doubt King Charles is reading this thread and having a right giggle at all of the cracking "jokes" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,434 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

We all have our sacred cows. Cancer is clearly one of yours. Religious belief for others. I know some people and they'd freak out if you made a joke about kids.

Once you start clutching pearls about one thing then you really have no legs to stand on to be making jokes about anything else. I mean, why is your sacred cow more important than anyone else's?

When my aunt was dying of cancer we'd laugh at absolutely everything. It was the one thing she had to look forward to in her final days. We just tried to take nothing seriously at that point and just laughed as much as we could as a family. Only way to get through it.

I would imagine it’s likely prostate cancer found on pathology, and maybe a PET scan revealed it had spread a bit outside the capsule, considering prostate cancer is very common. On the other hand it’s possible another pelvic cancer was detected during hospitalisation, eg bladder, lymphoma, bone, the type his mother had, bowel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

He could do well, at his age and with the type of cancer it is, he is unlikely to die from it.

Advertisement