Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproofing plywood for outdoors

Options
  • 05-02-2024 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭

Folks, I want to make a plywood waterwheel as a test for hydro on a small river.

Obviously it will only be a temporary thing but what could I treat the plywood with to get the longest out of it.

maybe something like this ??

https://www.owatrol.ie/product/h4-wood/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Marine plywood and then coat it with epoxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,265 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

OSB with epoxy.

Sounds like a great idea, hope you take lots of photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Mmmm

Would a few coats of yacht varnish give osb decent protection. EPOXY might run a bit too much money.

plan is 1.5 meter diameter to the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Assuming this isn't going to be permanent then to get the best out of your plywood then you need to seal the ends. Anything that soaks in will help and that owtrol product will do a decent job at that. However having used a lot of owtrol based products after soaking the end grain and painting the surface with it I suggest you do a coat all over with a 50:50 owtrol:paint mix.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Epoxy sourced via ebay isn't likely to cost much more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Le shovelle

Tricoya mdf is worth looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yacht varnish has better UV resistance than epoxy, is prob cheaper and safer but will require at least three coats .

Epoxy can probably be done in one and might have better resistance to abrasion. I think I'd trust epoxy more in this application particularly if you have joints or fixings - you can fine tune the thickness with thickening agent and gloop it all over. I get mine from the local marine supplies place. Protect your skin, epoxy can trigger really bad skin reactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Have ordered from easy composites a few times, very reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If its only temporary, I would probably just use melamine or something and seal the open ends with some cheap varnish.

Either that or try to find some cheap, used polycarbonate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Or maybe some composite decking boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Search out Marty T on youtube. He uses an old washing machine for free electricity.

Advertisement