Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why has Waterford City falling so behind the other 4 Cities Dublin Cork Limerick Galway ?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭invara

IMHO our politics has gotten us to this situation.

Waterford's regional level offering is artificially being held back- acute healthcare, higher education, airport, M24, and the South Wexford-Ardkeen bridge. All of these should have been delivered in the past decade-plus, and we should have moved on to the next generation of priorities. These 'fair-share' investments would unlock IDA-FDI jobs, and support private investment (such as the original plan for the NQ). Politics is about luck (the full university was lost at cabinet by one vote in the dying days of Martin Cullen's time). So, we are now unlucky to be looking at 3 Cork SC boyos in cabinet pulling for Cork; before that, we were unlucky with the poverty-stricken pincer of Howlin-Hogan, unlucky that JD burnt out (although it is an open question if he would have been the milking cow). As a result, Waterford has not delivered for Wexford, Kilkenny, and South Tipp in the way Limerick delivers for Clare.

The hopeful part is that once these issues are unblocked, the place will roar back into line with national averages. Halting the brain drain with a full spectrum university offering will add 15-20k people to Waterford, young bright energetic people, this will lure in FDI (~ 11,325 missing, high paid, IDA-supported jobs across the region), airport/health/roads, etc all then fall into place. That has been the plan since at least 2000.

So, the agenda is very clear. It is now too late for the Government to spend in Waterford and affect the election cycle. The last three elections (2011/16/20) all threw out or reduced the votes of incumbents who did not deliver. I expect this trend to continue, with fewer FF, FG, Lab, and Greens next time out, but vote management might see seats held. Running more than one candidate for FF and FG is high risk, but if they are serious parties of Government they need at least two in each constituency to get more than 40 seats nationally! Those with hard oppositional positioning will do well (Verona Murphy, Matt Shanahan, Michael Lowry, John McGuinness, and Mattie McGrath), SF is now caught in the middle of the road having moved from hard opposition to serious people of government. With SF no longer the full-throated kick'em where it hurts opposition, expect Soc Dems, independents, and anyone else to be given a whirl.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Drove through Limerick City yesterday on the way to Walsh Park. Major difference in the level of development taking place in the two cities. Opera project in the limerick city centre plus very significant developments on the Bloodmill Road close the Northern trust roundabout, a lot of house building etc etc. If a poster has the time they could do worse than look uo the Limerick Chamber homepage and explore the list of current and pending projects in the Mid-west. very informative imo. I think that the formation of Limerick 2030 has been a great boost to Limerick. Does Waterford have a similar plan.

on Limerick Chamber page under 'Strategic Development Pipeline'

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

As the OP has framed this about the 5 cities, then its pertinent to discuss this topic in the context of the National Planning Framework - Ireland 2040 which has put such emphasis on encouraging the growth of Waterford, along with Cork, Limerick & Galway as potential counter-weights to the decades-long runaway growth of the Greater Dublin Region.

The problem is successive governments have paid lip-service to the aims of the NPF, as occurred with its predecessor the National Spatial Strategy. If every government departmental investment decision had to be informed by the NPF, that would go a long way to preventing the pork-belly politics that has ensured Dublin continues to get way beyond its fair share of state investment. Cork, Limerick & Galway, as well as having proper stand-alone Universities for 170-odd years (Cork & Galway), 50+ for Limerick, have also had fairly continuous Government Cabinet representation to ensure they have received investment commensurate with their regional remits, unlike Waterford.

Follow the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭azimuth17

They tell you that you will be equally treated then allow politics to have its way. NPF, a Plan..? In my ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

I understand the feeling of Waterford falling behind. But to my mind the narrative is not of falling behind but of resilience. When you consider the level of government support the other cities get compared to Waterford. To maintain a strongly growing population and the international recognition Waterford has gotten in recent years I find incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Thank you for putting discrimination in context. Never give up. Never give in!

I mentioned previously how Limerick is attempting to make rapid progress after decades of stagnation if not worse!!!! Indeed Limerick city had become a by-word for negativity. I think that the article below from today's Limerick Leader is an example of recent changes\development. Posted, not to annoy but maybe to prompt somebody.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/upload/2024_02_28/305907494-LTTOperasitewithminister_2mp4.mp4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭914

"Within walking distance of here there is 25000 students", the key difference

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Lord Baron Lane 8

Waterford City needs what Limerick City got in this post who is in Government in Waterford City ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement