Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Broadband Providers. - Router Change

Options
  • 03-02-2024 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi, I am currently with Virgin Media for Wifi Broadband and I have been for years. Due to the extortionate price now, I am looking to move to Sky or Eir in the next few weeks.

I have one issue, once I change my Wifi, my security and alarm system will cause an issue due to the wifi changing, and I will need an engineer to resolve this.

Can I log into the the new router (assuming it's a sky router) and assign the VM SSID and password so the alarm system will recognise the new router. Is it this simple or am I overlooking something? Do I need to change the IP?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Yes, you should be able to change the SSID and pssowrd to match the old VM one. Regarding changing IP address, it may not be necessary to change the IP address if the security system isn't set to a static IP address but it might need a power cycle to connect to the new router.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DrSeuss

Yeah, I am hoping the Alarm isn’t set to hold a static IP.

The main issue is the alarm as I don’t have access with the engineer code to connect the new wifi router, but it would be nice to not have to reconnect all existing devices in the house.

out of curiosity? Could this be tested by changing the current SSID and Password and changing it back? this would check if everything reconnects?

thanks pizzahead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Changing SSID and back should not have negative effect on restore for re-connection.

Changing LAN IP range temporarily should not have negative effect either - most you'd need to do is restart devices to get new/restore IP.

Check your current router DHCP range + run network scan - it might indicate if IP's set statically on certain devices if they show outside DHCP range or not in sequence (DHCP issue addresses from smallest first)

Also note - if you have static IP assignment on any devices, you would need to match new router to old router including router LAN address as this will have effect on "Default Gateway" and "DNS" entries.

Router IP 192.168.0.1 vs 192.168.0.254 vs 192.168.1.1, etc

Advertisement