Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 520d msport opinions please

Options
  • 01-02-2024 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi All

I’m looking at a 2019 bmw 520 MSport G30 and I’m wondering what the general opinion is on them? Any owners out there and what are your experiences? My gut feeling and from reading various reviews is that there’s no real concerns and they’re reliable but I’ve got burned in the past (Mazda 6 with that awful 2.2 ltr diesel engine and those dpf issues) and threw money after money on it so I don’t want to get burned again!!!! Thanks in advance everyone.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭snowcat

Would not own one. Common as muck with lots of dodgy looking characters in white ones with tacky m performance bits bolted on. Tractor engine. Usually shod in Chinese tyres as the guys who buy 3 or 4 year old ones cant afford maintainance and are buying for the badge. Usually sold by N7 motors or Munster trade sales with those dodgy number plates advertising the fact you are a cheap skate. Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

The F10 has unfortunately been colonised by a demographic that do the car no justice. Its the equivalent of a second hand Canada Goose Jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭McGrath5

The G30 is still new enough and expensive enough to keep the Ali express brigade away.

OP, they’re nice cars. Find one with a full main dealer service history though. Expensive enough cars to fix when they go wrong, no harm to keep a decent 4 figure sum set aside for repairs and maintenance.

Post edited by McGrath5 on

• Advertisement

Sorry G30. Same points apply. New I5 out now too which quickly make it past fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tillerman08

With the depreciation value in electric cars these days a brand new 2024 I5 will probably be more affordable for the Canada Goose jacket brigade than a 10 year old 520 next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Do you need the space?

I'm probably biased, although I have owned a 5 in the past, but the 3 series is a far better drive IMO.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

Why not get something that is practical and stylish + powerful. A 530d touring

• Advertisement

Im not sure about that. Looking at 3 year old Taycans Audi gts etc. I dont see any stunning value. The usual 50% depreciation in 3 years. Similiar to a M5. Might buy new. The new I5 M60 is a dog according to Harry's Garage. Had to know what to get for a runaround. Want an electric for family duties and have a significant budget for an ICE for weekend duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tillerman08

Driving an estate at the moment - went to look at a v90 estate and my head was turned in the forecourt - 5 series G30 is a nice looking car - had a spin, was impressed and was wondering if any owners on here and what their thoughts were- thanks for the replies 👍

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Have had every version going back to the E39 (30d). The 2019 G30 we currently still have has been faultless. No issues to write home about but no big thrills to write home about either. Interior quality is typical bmw, it wears quickly, particularly the steering wheels, which is quite common.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

With ev price falling off a cliff,it is inevitable that ice cars will drop substantially soon also,a market correction as the last few years were distorted,, make an offer you don't think will be accepted and move away if not accepted, plenty more options, that said as the diesel 5 series are no longer available new so they might hold value above the average going forward,or the government might raise taxes on them to make them unsustainable,a lottery really...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I've a family member who sells BMWs and goes through a number of 530s, both saloon and estate, but he currently has the newest 3 series estate and similar to above, says it is very nice when compared to the 5 series, a very nice wrap around display.

Interesting comments re the electric models, he had a VW ID5 traded in at the start of last year, it was near new as the seller was going back on the road and needed a non electric motor. At the time he said he could have sold it 10 times over based on the interest, whereas now he has some IXs that have taken a lot longer to sell. Seems the love affair with electric was a little hyped.

“Interesting comments re the electric models, he had a VW ID5 traded in at the start of last year, it was near new as the seller was going back on the road and needed a non electric motor. At the time he said he could have sold it 10 times over based on the interest, whereas now he has some IXs that have taken a lot longer to sell. Seems the love affair with electric was a little hyped”

In the EV world, the IX and the ID5 would be niche cars. ID5 was €70-€75k at the start of the year and €50k at end due to price cuts so your friend may have took it in at the wrong time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭goochy

if you are not doing big mileages or long motorway trips - what about a lexus ES300h ?

distinctive styling and as they are rare - extra prestige

it might be too old man / conservative for you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

What a load of nonsense. With the above logic you wouldn't by any Audis either. G30 5 is one of the best five series yet. For superior to the F10 that preceded it, and by all accounts a better car in. many ways than the new 5 series. I think in time it will be regarded much like we do the E39 now. Get one with a full service history, with all the warranty work carried out and you'll have a one of the best driving cars on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

How many km's a year do you drive? and what short of driving? long or short hops?

got a link to the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Have one and I love it. Only downside is they're going through a mass recall of the EGR Cooler right now so you may get one that needs a replacement soon.

Ours has been recalled twice so far. First was to test the cooler and determine if it needed to be replaced. The second was to add software to advance warn you of higher than safe temps in the EGR system. 2019 G30.

Advertisement