Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being added to an insurance policy for a cheaper quote

Options
  • 31-01-2024 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

One of the guys i work with has been learning to drive for the past few months and has a provisional licence. He is also looking at buying a car and was told that his quote would be 500 euro cheaper if he adds a fully licensed driver on the policy. He is a foreign national with no family locally so he approached me and asked if could add me to his policy. We live about 30 minutes drive from one another so ill never be in the car with him.

My gut reaction is no but what are the implications if I was to be added to his policy?

Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Well for one if he speeds and gets points he could try and say it was you driving, even as far as to let it go to court. Or if there was a hit and run. I wouldn't be doing it unless it's a trusted family member of friend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Grand to do with someone very trusted but with some, essentially, randomer? Not in a million years.

Cui bono?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

So he as a provisional license holder wants to add you a full license holder as a named driver and will get ~€500 off? That doesn't make sense, everyone would be just naming random people on their insurance to get money off.

Sounds like they want you to get the insurance and get them as a named driver, you might think you are doing them a turn but it could end up biting you in the arse, off the top of my head, you would be libel for any excess in the event of a claim, you will have to appear in court in the event of a case

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭munsterfan2

Did it for one of the kids, his quote on his own was 1700, added me as a named driver and it dropped to 850. Seems bizarre, like saying a bottle of coke is 3 quid but if you buy it with a mars bar you can have both for 1.

Somebody's risk model somewhere must have shown that new drivers who have older people as named drivers on their policy are lower risk

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭shane b

The insurance policy will be in his name and anyone extra will be a named driver.

I've seen the quote. It's 2300 in his name only but 1800 for him and a fully licensed driver, be it male or female.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

It's pretty common. Why it works like that, I don't know, but it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭User1998

Adding an experienced driver to a learner drivers policy still usually results in a decrease. The learner isn’t expecting OP to take out a policy and add him as a named driver.

To be honest OP I don’t think there are any possible negative impacts for you. The other comments about the learner trying to frame you for any speeding incidents is completely false. They can try frame anyone but they won’t get anywhere without their signature and driver number

The only thing I’d worry about is you do someone a favour like this and before you know it they’ll be asking for favours all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭gipi

The theory is that 2 names on the policy suggests 2 drivers - the learner isn't the sole driver of the car, so the risk is reduced by having a fully qualified driver insured.

It happens with older drivers too - my bf gets a cheaper quote by including me as a named driver on his policy (he's older than me).

Just on the driver number. To be added as a named driver, the person would have to supply a copy of their license, front and back for the policy to be valid. the driver number would be included as part of the included documentation would it not?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

You learn something new every day, thanks all for opening my eyes, something I'll definitely consider when the children are looking at getting cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

If there ever was a claim on the policy, both main and named drivers will have to declare that for any motor insurance policy the next 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭JVince

Rubbish. Absolute and utter rubbish.

The question asked is if "you" have had a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

The posts have been "if"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

5 years after a claim an insurance company will require details of any accident a person is involved in whether at fault or not..Some generous cos say 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

Ignore at your peril. Read the policy fine print. 'whether at fault or not'

If found out that you had not declared, policy will be void

When it comes to legalities, do take the advice from random strangers on the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

As a named driver it is not his policy that a claim would be made on. OP would not have to declare any claims unless they were actually driving the car at the time of the claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Maybe ask if you can talk to his insurance company to ask them because some people here are guessing about things to be honest

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Not something I'd do

Nothing in it except risk of some sort or other

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Isn't this called fronting in the UK? Clamping down on it over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Not sure it's fronting as such

Anything like this is risky

Reason being you're named on the policy to reduce the premium and not going to be driving the car

My assumption is that insurance knows what they're doing so this is likely to cost you someway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

No, fronting would be the OP taking out the policy and the friend/owner of the car being a named driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭GSBellew

You need the full sentence for context, not a few words you are trying to use to frame something into something it is not.

OP here. Thanks for all the advice and opinions. Ive decided to turn the person down on the proposal.

In order to validate the policy, the insurance company need a copy of my license which would have my name, address, date of birth etc on it. While i have no issue with the insurance company having the info, i would have to give him photos or scanned images of my license to upload as proof.

I could ask him to delete the details as soon as he uploads them but I just dont feel comfotable handing that info to a person i dont know that awfully well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Insurance forum mods?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭littlevillage

A friend in need.... is a friend that'll keep coming back to you... if you help him out the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ThreeGreens

Probably not a huge risk involved in it for you. But the obvious question is why doesn't he ask whoever will be the licenced driver who accompanies him when he's driving.

If he's going to ignore the requirement to be accompanied by a fully licenced driver while he's driving, do you really want to be facilitating him?

OP here, sorry forgot there was insurance forum. Should have posted this there

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Never mind the quote, have you read the terms and conditions of the policy and in particular the requirements to be a named party on the contract. I'd be very surprised if you can just pick some random individual of the street, stick them on your policy and presto get a big discount.

• Advertisement

I already have my wife on my policy to avail of that discount😉

Advertisement