Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July provision/ correcting exams in summer

Options
  • 31-01-2024 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I have been teaching for three years now and want to either correct exams or do July provision in the summer. Just wondering what the pros and cons to both are.

Also I am not being paid for the summer due to it being a casual contract but can I go on social welfare while doing either of these as I know that they pay later in the year?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

I’ve no experience with July provision, but I have marked exams.

You need to go off social welfare for the 26 days from the conference, your appointment letter will be clear about what those dates are.

I haven’t done junior cycle for a few years, but when I did, it was around €2000 for the 4 weeks work. That will depend on how far you are from athlone, but the pay has gone up since the pandemic.

It’s full on for the 4 weeks, but it is great CPD and gives you a good insight into how to maximise marks in your subject. If you are disciplined you will be able to do it in 6 hours a day (not consecutive, for me anyway!)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

July provision requires an expertise in SEN. If you have no proper experience working with children with complex needs, it will be quite challenging.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Mark LC OL if you can. Higher pay than JC but easier to mark than HL. I wrote to the SEC one year and got a full list of how much they pay for every subject. If yours has two papers then you'll get paid more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Have you thought of the summer programmes? I'd prefer it to either of the above, usually for 2 weeks and very open to whatever you might like to do. Paid at normal, full time wages too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭smallgarden

What do you mean by the summer programmes?

• Advertisement

The Deparement pay for DEIS and other schools to run two week camps at come point in the summer to help with kids who have complex needs or educational disadvantage. They are great and staffing can be tricky. Are you in an urban area? Should be lots of options if you are!

Info from last year, I assume its running this year, they usually announce at the start of May!

Advertisement