Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Corolla Estate or Superb ... pros and cons

Options
  • 31-01-2024 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

I've the fortunate opportunity to import a car to Ireland as I will be returning to the country after the summer, so looking to buy the first newish car in my life (always drove bangernomics up to now).

Basic priorities: reliable, big/practical family car (lugging stuff), nice for long runs (don't drive a lot in a given year these days, but what driving I do tends to be longer motorway trips for work or holidays), ideally given I'll spend a bit more than previously, I'd like the car to look and feel nice/fresh. Budgeting £15-20k. (for reference, driving a 2004 Audi A6 1.9TDI with 195k miles for 8 years now (I like it), drove Saab 93s before that, and punto before that)

I started out with Skoda Superb in mind. I've looked at a few: saw a lovely one yesterday: 2000 (August), 1.5 TSI, DSG, hatchback, SE L trim (full leather etc.,), 15k miles, 1 owner, Skoda approved garage. Main thing I don't like about it is that it has very low-profile tyres/big rims (they're official Skoda rims, just I prefer more practical alloys: more robust and cheaper tyres). 1 yr warranty (though I don't expect to be able to use that when I get to ROI)

However, I dropped into a Toyota garage yesterday also and part of me now wonders if a Corolla Estate might be the right choice. They actually tend dearer than the Superb in fact. I test drove a 2.0l version, though that specific car is out of budget. Looks like I'd find an approved Toyota used Estate in-budget, but more likely it'd be 50k miles and might or might not get the 2.0l (it'd still be 2000 reg, leather, etc.,). What draws me to the Toyota is: reliability (reputation/reality?), warranty might actually work in Ireland (dealer thought it would, online docs look encouraging, I've emailed Toyota in Ireland), in conversations greater sense of dealer/manufacturer standing behind car, 2.0l CVT nice to drive (though harder to find). On downside: it's smaller/less practical, aesthetically it feels like a jumble inside, outside not as nice to look at, I suspect less prestige overall, quite possible I end up spending a bit more (e.g. £21k). Also, I don't have one "ready to buy", I'd have to do more viewings. (Skoda I could phone today and pay deposit)

Any thoughts? How reliable are Skodas generally? (If I buy Skoda for 2k less than equiv Corolla, that's £2k in the warchest for any future repair)

(FWIW, My plan is to buy and keep this car for quite a while)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Birka

Presume you mean 2020, not 2000?

Superb & Corolla are not really in the same class in terms of space and quality feel of interior. The Superb has soft suspension which can be uncontrolled on poorer roads. Corolla has a surprisingly decent ride and handling quality. Corolla Estate gives a bit more rear legroom and boot space over the hatch. The Superb is cavernous, especially the estate but you are unlikely to need all that space on a daily basis. Superb estate can be a pain to find street parking for sometimes as it's quite long.

Skoda can be a bit flaky with infotainment systems, SOS systems etc. Mechanically ok but low profile tyres will be noisy on many of our roads. 19" wheels, if that's what's fitted, are noted for being very noisy over on the Briskoda forum. Toyota new and secondhand prices are very strong here so you would benefit from importing over buying locally. It should also be eligible for Toyota's Relax warranty which'll cover you for up to 10 years from new. Terms & Conditions are here - I can't see anything excluding imports.

Corolla is likely to have lower lifetime ownership costs including depreciation. Superb might be a nicer place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

Yes, 2020, and you're right on the wheels (already noticed noise on test drive)

Here's a likely Toyota (not test driven yet)

And here's the Superb (which I drove yesterday)

Toyota really feels less classy

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭kaahooters

pretty sure a camry would be closer to the superb, or an octavia closer to the corolla. personaly, i would nevr have thought a superb was classy, but, my opinion.

the toyota should be more reliable, and hold value better.

Camrys are like Hens teeth in UK, and the boot is less practical than Estate. Superb not much dearer than octavia, but just more generous

hence my pairing (you're absolutely right on the segmentation). Re price, though,, they match

Fair point on "classy". All relative, I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Sounds like you have already talked yourself into the Superb @acronym Chilli 🙂

The Superb is a great car (my SIL has one, in estate form also) but it is a long machine to handle and park. Plenty of space if you need it and her reason for buying it was that she has 3 children so it is regularly filled with shopping, sports kits and so on. The Corolla, although in a different segment, will also have a decent amount of space. In Ireland, it would probably be the easier one to sell as they are sought after but quite difficult to find. In my mind, reliability for the Toyota would be better and I have found that the dealer network is also a touch above that of Skoda. I have also found the build quality on a Toyota to be a little better than Skoda but that may be a subjective thing.

• Advertisement

Not quite there yet!

I'm on way now to look at that Toyota, and I may ring up afyerwards about a Camry a bit further away... there are only 12 of them in the entire toyota dealer network (vs 1200 Corollas of various types), though of course all have 2.5l and most have high end trim.

I preferred talking to the one UK toyota dealership I visited than the two Skoda dealers (all OK, matter of degree).

Skoda bits look decent and fairly elegant, but look a little fragile. Corolla looks to me like it's all jumbled up, but feels like it'll last a bit more.

Appreciate the help, folks. I've never actually spent more than €1200 on a car before!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

As a Superb owner I'm biased, but would definitely rate it higher the a Corolla. Feels more substantial, comfortable and refined. Ergonomics is spot on too compared to the usual Toyota scattergun approach to buttons. Not everyone gets on with the seats and as you say road noise might be an issue on those large wheels.

The Corolla may prove more reliable long term but we have two Superbs in the family, with no major issues on either with 300k between them. It's such a capable car I have no desire to change it after 7 years of ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭djan

The Superb is a substantial class above in space, refinement, premium quality and overall ride (can get adaptive suspension also). I'd go for a fully specced (L&K) one which are near impossible to find in Ireland and if wheels are a concern, just change them to a size that suits for little to no cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

The superb is a substantial class above in space for sure but in every other facet? Skoda is not the premium brand of VAG and a middle spec Superb is no more refined nor has premium quality than a Corolla having been in both.

Im a big fan of the Superb for what it does btw, cheap family car motoring with bundles of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Check the prices here, https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-superb-amb-1-5tsi-150hp-call-cormac-on-0861/35716576

23950 euro , no leather seats, but there is not much difference in price once you convert it.

I would try to get max value, something that you could drive here for 2 years and sell and loose nothing, I was doing that before brexit.

I like plug in hybrids, so here is 2, https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-3-series-m-sport-330e-estate-292bhp-high-spec/36139812 37000 euro

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202401085357296?sort=price-asc&twcs=true&advertising-location=at_cars&body-type=Estate&co2-emissions-cars=TO_75&fuel-type=Petrol%20Plug-in%20Hybrid&include-delivery-option=on&make=BMW&model=3%20Series&postcode=bt808wd&year-from=2021&fromsra

26,174 euro.

I am sure there is other cars like that. I am envious, best of luck.

I used to get them at auction, if you want a guy pm me, I used him 3 times. you could knock a 1000 pounds off dealer prices by using him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭djan

While it's all a matter of opinion but having been in both there's no comparison. Much less cheap plastics in the Superb and general materials used throughout when opting for high spec models really shows the difference. With the same wheels, Superb would have more planted ride with the longer wheelbase and especially the adaptive dampers are excellent.

OP really has to test drive both to see but I will give it to the corolla, while quite small especially in rear seats it does have a great reliable drivetrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Its a simple one for me, both are very much in the same bucket of economy car ownership with much more premium offers in their segments, neither skoda or toyota are renowned for their interiors and quality features. So identical from that regards, only difference being size and in that scenario they are two very different cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭monseiur

You're in a once off fortunate position in not having to pay import duties like VRT VAT etc. so make the most of it and up your budget a little and get yourself an estate Audi A4 or A6 for comfort, class and reliability - almost all are high spec in UK. Forget the Toyota

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Get a Merc. E class, but C class estate is still very nice and roomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Casati

If you’re able to avoid VRT upon importation, then it makes sense to buy a desirable car in Ireland that suffers from high VRT here - which will protect you from deprecation. Rather than a Superb Id be thinking something like a four wheel drive Kodiaq or if you want something smaller maybe a Golf GTI. Toyotas are expensive used in England and generally have low VRT so not ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Couldn't agree there, Corolla has a far cheaper feel about the interior. Even Toyota's premium marque, Lexus, generally lack a premium feeling about the interior these days. particularly in what they see as their competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭blackbox

Superb for the extra space and comfort.

Corolla estate for everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I drove a Skoda superb estate for 5 years. Beautiful car to drive. Comfortable and loads (did I say loads?) of space.

Never found it to be overly noisy. Drove on Michelin cross climates.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yep, there’s serious weight saving and cost saving employed. It’s still gonna be a reliable car but when you see headliner made of cardboard and stuff like that there’s no comparison with the Superb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭pah

Superb, but as an estate IMO. Bought a BMW touring recently but if I hadn't I would have gone for something like this.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202401275970379?sort=relevance&aggregatedTrim=Laurin%20%26%20Klement&body-type=Estate&fuel-type=Petrol&make=Skoda&model=Superb&postcode=KT19%209AS&price-from=17000&price-to=25000&transmission=Automatic&advertising-location=at_cars&fromsra

There are a few diesel options too, closer to your location and budget, based on postcode for the one you viewed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

If you are considering buying a keeper, this looks a no-brainer by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Casati

That would be a super car to buy and bring without paying vrt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Imagine sitting at the lights in your Corolla and that pulls up along side. Would you ever forgive yourself?

So, thought it would be polite to finish the story and update on what I've bought (deposit is down).

I couldn't get Corolla to stack up: too expensive in UK, and only about the same price in Ireland. Not easy to find great examples either (lot of mid & lower-spec trim, no leather, etc.,).

But I took another look at the Camry. They sell in UK for the same money as Corolla estates, while in Ireland the Camry has a price premium over the Corolla. What I found then was a June-2020 Excel spec Camry, silver, full main dealer Toyota service history since new, was a garage demonstrator for first few months, then private ownership since then. 37k miles on the clock. MOT and service due in June so dealer will do both now for me. I enjoyed the test-drive, and the fuel economy is pretty good (2.5l hybrid, 218bhp)

The warranty offer was part of the deal. It's still under the original 5 year manufacturer's warranty, plus would anyway have 12 months as a Toyota approved used car. I also got confirmation from Toyota Ireland that the Toyota Relax cover will apply to this car also once it's imported.

So not an exciting choice, perhaps, and some great options in the thread here that I just didn't get to fully explore, but as things stand I'm very happy with my choice, for what that's worth!

Advertisement