Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the white bread in Ireland so dire?

Options
  • 30-01-2024 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

Of all the countries in Europe. Ireland (save for the UK) must have the worst white bread in Europe.

Go to even a tiny mountain top village in Portugal, Spain or Italy - you will be able to find a tiny little bakery which makes rollicking good white loaves and rolls.

Go to a German or Austrian backeri - you will also have the pleasure of freshly made bread.

Go to France - you will find flavoursome baguettes that can be eaten almost plain.

Go to Ireland - Well your main option is supermarket bread - which has all the taste of eating A4 paper. Or, you could buy an equally tasteless "Cuisine de France" brand baguette in a convenience store. (Although top marks for SuperValu and Dunnes for making bread that actually has some taste)

Anyone explain this - why is fresh and tasty white bread almost impossible to find in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Luna84

I think it's your taste buds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Because we are not willing to pay people enough to make a living baking that kind of bread.

And we are all so super busy and important now that we value people who can make fart videos on tiktok higher than those who can bake bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

French baker in my town. Gorgeous bread every day except Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Stopped buying it from stores here just bake a few loafs ourselves every week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

After living here for 18 years, I wasn't brave enough to start the thread like this one OP 😁

Most of the time I make my own bread. Might not be the healthiest, but taste much better than anything from supermarkets here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Every puff of wind and there's a rush on Brennan's, the blandest, most tasteless industrial bread going. Many people here have never graduated beyond the bland bread their Mammies bought.

"Cuisine De France"(sic.) frozen industrial bread is an insult to proper French bread.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You're not exactly making a fair comparison. If you go to a supermarket in France e.g. E. Leclerc, the bread in general is crap when you compare it to what you'll get in a small boulangerie. Same with a lot of supermarket bread around Europe. What you're doing is complaining about mass-produced stuff made here and comparing it to true artisan stuff made elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

French and Italian supermarket bread's even worse than here. And, believe it or not, there are bakery shops here too that sell decent White bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Can't beat an oul grinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Lots of great bakeries in Ireland selling top class bread. My own Supevalu has a decent in-house bakery that’s better than the equivalent in a CooP etc. They also sell Bretzel Bakery sliced sourdough.

• Advertisement

In saying ours is bad has anyone tried the American equivalent sliced breads that after a month sitting in a press is still edible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I think yiu are are gong to the wrong shops....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭phormium

Very true! I visited US for first time nearly 40 yrs ago, the same sliced pan was still 'fresh' in the relatives house when we were leaving 2 weeks later, I used to call it the everlasting bread!

Plenty of good bread here if you buy from a good bakery, supermarket stuff is cheap for a reason and unfortunately most people can't or won't pay for dearer stuff. Buy a second hand breadmaker and off you go! It's considerably more expensive than buying supermarket bread but cheaper than good bakery bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Where are you based Jetsonx? There's loads of good bakeries popping up all over Dublin, Russell Street bakery is the best I've tried so far. Bread 41 is good and so is Bread Naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If you read the list of ingredients on, say, a lot of white pans, you could be forgiven for thinking all the bakeries are just using the same industrial scale bread mix. All this sh!te has bloody soy in it!.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Allinall

You can buy a sliced pan in Spain and it will still be as “fresh” after a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There are still some independent bakeries around the country making the traditional white pan.

Get one of those fresh and make a "hang sandwich" with it or cut a slice and put jam on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Tasty white bread is very easy to find in Ireland and anybody who says otherwise is talking out of there ars*.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭JVince

I think Lidl did a version here. It didn't sell

They still do the same "brand" as burger buns. Usually 2-3 weeks of shelf life.

In Spain, a sliced pan would have few uses, hence it needs 2 weeks shelf life (preservatives).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Allinall

Why do you think your main option here is supermarket bread?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The self loathing of some Irish people on here is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Wrong shops OP. As pp said a supermarket with a bakery is a good shout. SV, M+S, and Lidl are very good. There are some artisan bakeries around but not widely. I'm not a bread snob and love a doorstep of Batch loaf with ham, cheese and brown sauce just like the rest of them.

We make white and brown soda bread, and that has to be eaten quick or it goes like a rock, but it's gorgeous just out of the oven with real butter. We do buy mass produced stuff too. Faves are from Aldi, their Brown Bloomer is good for toast and for sandwiches, nice and thick bread. We have to live a little!

In Spain I did notice that the bread would last you through a siege, but it's ok. The crustless sliced pans there are great. Often wondered why we never see crustless bread here, they are great for la di da POSH sambos cut into triangles, therefore - sigh... I have to cut the bloody crusts off for Afternoon Tea cucumber sandwiches. It's a hard life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Not really, but I guess it depends what we grew up on.

Any sliced bread here I tried is disaster imo, but again as other poster pointed out, it depends on taste buds we have.

arán artisan bakery in Kilkenny city has some of the best bread I've had here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

The likes of Brennan's and Pat the Baker came in with their cheap rubbish that stayed "fresh" for days and undercut the real bakers every town and village had. By the time we had money to afford real bread again all we were left with was the manufactured rubbish. Some local bakeries are making a small comeback but in general the bread business has been destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Murt2024

There’s plenty of places where you can good quality freshly baked bread. Maybe do a bit of research OP. No one is forcing you to buy Brennans. The bread in the states is horrific. You can taste the chemicals keeping it fresh in mass produced bread there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

In the 1950s or thereabout, the UK had to develop a bread that could be made with soft British flour because they were bust and could not afford Canadian hard wheat needed for decent bread. So they got the British Baking Industries Research Association based in Chorleywood to develop a bread that could be made to be cheap and that used the soft wheat.

Well, they produced the very loaf that the OP despises. It is made with loads of yeast and is massively pounded making it get hot. Anyway, it is disgusting - it goes mouldy before it gets stale - but it is cheap to make because it uses cheap ingredients.

Edit: Typos fixed.

Post edited by Sam Russell on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

If you think bread is bad here (imho it isn’t) try American bread….holy crap!

doesn’t go off after two weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

He said the bread is dire, not the people, read the thread title and the posts.

Advertisement