Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-PAYE income and payment of tax

Options
  • 30-01-2024 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

I'm a PAYE worker taxed at the higher rate. I have the possibility this year to do some freelance work, so additional non-PAYE income. It will only be for this year. It will be about 50k if I take it on and my current understanding is this year I would register to be self-assessed, and then before October 31st next year I make a tax return, revenue then tell me I owe ~25k (approximating 50% of the 50k) and I get them paid to be all square.

I have seen that an underpayment of tax, if under 6k, can be repaid by reducing tax credits for up to 4 years. Assuming my tax bill to be ~25k, is it a non-runner/bad idea/possibility to say put away 10k so I can give a 10k lump sum payment when due, and then opt to pay the remaining 15k by reducing tax credits over a number of years? Would revenue reject that? Or would they impose significant penalties etc.? Basically, I have need for as much of that extra income as possible as soon as possible, but would be happy to repay over a number of years if an option.

Comments

Advertisement