Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sodium Valproate (Epilim) Safety update for Males

Options
  • 29-01-2024 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I have a super 14 year old Son who happens to have neuro-developmental issues (ADHD and Dyspraxia).

I have mild epilepsy and was prescribed Epilim since I was 18. To be honest I has been complacent with it during my 20s as my Epilepsy is so mild.

During my 30s I started taking it more continuously and never missed it. I noted the health warning on it for expectant mothers.

Recently I was disappointed to find out that studies have found that fathers to be who are taking Sodium Valproate (Epilim) increase the likelihood of their child having neuro-developmental issues.

I try not to think about this too much, but it has saddened me (more for my Son) that me being on Epilim could have been a contributory factor to my Son having impaired brain functioning.

If I knew this in 2009, I would have without question have given the Epilim a break (after consulting with the constultant of course) during the family planning phase at least.

Does anyone have any advice? Should I ask my consultant about this at the next consultation which I have in July 2024.

I know I can't conclusively prove this but I feel guilty if my taking Elipim has impacted on my Son's wellbeing.

Comments

Advertisement