Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei Inverter Fault Query

Options
  • 29-01-2024 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭

I got my Solar Panels installed in November and have expericed 3 occasions where the app reported errors saying "grid loss" and "faulty power collector". The inverter had tripped in the electrical board but there had been no power loss in the house as there were other items still running that would have powered off (i was at work on each occasion). Has anyone else experinced this issue on a reoccuring basis/found out what the cause was or if know installer is able to dig into further from logs if it happens randomly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭DC999

Never seen that and I've 2 Huawei inverters for 18months. I do see it correctly reporting when the grid has gone off (very rare in Dublin) - I see an alert. But when there is no grid the firemans switch auto disconnects as expected. And everything auto restarts when the grid comes back. I never had to push a trip switch back up.

I'd put it back with the installers and ask them to confirm the issue. Even if there was a grid fault, it should auto come back - which it's now. Don't let them fob you off until you get a response you're happy with. Sounds like a fault on your solar somewhere. Are you still owed the SEAI grant or still own them anything? Might give you a little more clout.

I only ever use fusionsolar.huawei.com via a browser. Not sure if that's the app you mean.

@HotSwap has an Huawei inverter. Not sure who else has.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Another Huawei here for two years and haven't come across those issues before. Everything goes and comes on grid loss as expected.

Huawei support are actually pretty good, but start with your installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Are you in the installer section of the app? Or are you seeing these errros as an end user? Can we see a screenshot?

my first port of call would be to verify that your grid settings have been correctly applied; as over voltage of the grid supply could be causing errors defending on which profile was applied and if any tweaks were made to the profile by the installer.

have you asked your installer to look at the errors? It’s likely they still have your system available in their account so should be able to check it remotely

the faulty power collector alarm is related to the connection between the inverter and the power meter / grid CT

from my experience of installing two of these systems; these rs485 connections can be finicky; I’d be concerned that it’s being run alongside some AC power cable which could be causing interference from time to time. I’d advise trying to separate the communications cable from any AC cables as much as possible. But this may not be possible if the cable is routed in ceilings etc… but it’s worth a try

Do you have a backup box in your install?

• Advertisement

When you say the inverter tripped; do you mean the circuit feeding your inverter in the consumer unit tripped off? And you had to manually reset it? Did this happen in conjunction with the “grid loss” alarm? As this would at least explain that one from the inverters perspective.

then the reason as to why the breaker tripped; well if you could send a photo it might me figure it out. It might not be a suitable breaker for the application. We will see. Send more details.

sorry for many responses. I’m thinking on the go here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Thanks for the replies. No backup box installed. I had checked home assistant app when finishing work and saw their was no generation in the afternoon so knew something was up. Then checked the fusion solar app and saw the errors mentioned above and knew based on the previous time when i got home from work the inverter switch in the consumer unit would be tripped. The last time it happened was about second week of December. The installer happened to be doing work in the area then and sent his electrician over to have a look but couldnt see anything out of the ordinary. First time it happened there was a storm in November so thought it might have just been related to that, second time their was a house in the same row of houses which got solar installed and i thought maybe it was related to that as it seemed strange it happened same day and today was the third time and for sure there were no power cuts in area. Manually resetting the switch resolved issue each time. Have emailed installer about issue, they have been fine to deal with so far and system has been working fine outside of these issues. Picture of consumer unit is attached.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Possibly could be parasitic capacitance. Really hard to pin down.

Huawei recommended a type A RCD.see here:

i believe this will solve your issue of the circuit tripping.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

That is a type A RCD (with a B curve on the MCB part of the rcbo)

But what's listed there is a 100ma RCD Vs a 30ma one.

• Advertisement

Also from SEAI guidelines:

As per the cert I attached above; Huawei specifically say that a Type A is needed; so it’s ok to not use a type B in this case.

Advertisement