Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amalgamated juvenile Teams

Options
  • 29-01-2024 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

If 2 clubs field a amalgamated team at underage level do they have to play up a division , we were always told that was the rule ......has this changed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I think it's down to your own county's rules. There's no national rule (I could stand corrected on that)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Correct that there's no national rule, and it's down to the county's Coiste na nÓg CCC to grade the amalgamated team as they see fit.

Could well be subject to county bye-laws, but I don't think it could be as simple as "must play up a division". If one of the clubs in the amalgamation was in Div. 3 by themselves last year, and the other was in Div. 4, then where would you put the amalgamated team?

Put them in Div. 2, and the Div. 4 team from last year would claim it's not right, as they'd now have to play up two divisions.

Leave them in Div. 3, and everybody else would complain that the club that was in Div. 3 already is not playing up a division at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lainers99

I think it’s always changing. I thought if you amalgamated 2 age groups you had to play up to the older age group, but this year a local Dublin club is amalgamating U13 and U14 and registering as a U13 team. It seems Dublin county board are ok with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Every county is different. There is no general rule to cover this. You would hope each county grades all teams fairly whether they are amalgamations or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭arctictree

We have some amalgamated teams here in Wicklow that enter multiple teams at the same age level. E.g. a Div 1 and a Div 4 team. There is always a big debate about whether it should be allowed or not. One of them got to the minor A final last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭crusd

Anyone born in 2010 will not be playing U13 this year anywhere. Any born in 2011 is eligible for U13s

That's an odd one to me, and wouldn't be allowed here in Wexford.

Our by-laws on such things are that an amalgamation is only allowed where the clubs demonstrate that without it, they wouldn't be able to field at that age level at all - e.g. Club A shows they only have 12 players, and Club B shows they only have 10. Between them then, they get to field one team.

If an amalgamation was granted and they suddenly said "oh, we now have 35 to 40 players between us, so we want to put in two teams", there'd be all sorts of questions asked, and chances are the amalgamation would be rescinded again.

Only possible exception would be if Club A had let's say 27 players and Club B had nine or ten, such that Club A doesn't have enough for two teams in its own right, and Club B doesn't have enough for one. But I honestly don't know, as I've never heard of it arising.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lainers99

They definitely are a combination of 2010 and 2011 players on a U13 team this year. My son is in school with the chairman’s son who plays on that team

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭NJSC1980

Knowingly fielding illegal players then. Under X means only players who turn X years old or younger in the current calendar year are eligible to play at that age grade.

Doesn’t matter if a player doesn’t turn 14 until December 31st this year, they are still overage for under 13 unless they are born in 2011 or later.

I seriously have to suspect you're getting something wrong here. Anybody born in 2010 is quite clearly overage for U13 this year, and I'm seriously struggling to think of any circumstances in which a County Board would give the green light to an U13 team (or any other underage team) that includes overage players.

Only thing I can come up with is maybe it's some sort of short-term arrangement for an invitational tournament or similar, rather than official League or Championship competition? But even then, they'd still have an advantage over other clubs who are entering genuine U13 teams.

Post edited by Uncle Pierre on

• Advertisement
Advertisement