Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Mobile Phone Package?

Options
  • 28-01-2024 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I have been putting off changing packages but absolutely HAVE to get it sorted now.

2 mobile phones. One on 3, One with Virgin Mobile

NEED to be able to use it roaming in Europe at least without too muchy hassle (so thats ruling out the likes of 48.ie)

Can anyone recommend a package please? - I'm bamboozled

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭rhinosaurious

Clear Mobile. They have a 5meg speed limit though. You could also look at GoMo although Clear Mobile's coverage will probably be slightly better.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Eir Mobile - Sim only - €9.99pm per mobile account, if you are able to bundle with eir Broadband/TV

GoMo - €14.99 per month, if you are not able to avail of Eir bundle

(Both also allow use of WiFi Calling while Roaming, which is useful if you want to avoid roaming charges outside of EU)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

First thing I would do before making any cost based decision is check that the network has good coverage where you will be spending most of your time.

The Comreg coverage map has been accurate for me in what providers I have tried at various locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Usually have the least hassle with Vodafone. Gomo either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

5mbit/s download?

That's bad like 48 is supposed to be crap for roaming which i don't need but download speed does be 50mbit/s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

Thanks all!

Clear Mobile wont work for us with having that speed.

We also cant get the Eir bundle.

Im going to look at GoMo and Vodafone for now.

bablefish - when you say wifi calling do you mean using whatsapp or am I missing something??

WiFi Calling has similarities to WhatsApp, but it is fundamentally different. It allows normal mobile calls and texts to be routed over WiFi if WiFi is available, instead of going over the mobile network towers. For example, this is useful if you are in an A-Rated building, where the insulation is blocking all mobile signals, or if you are abroad and you want to avoid roaming charges. WiFi Calling means that you can build your own indoor coverage, rather than being at the mercy of the the mobile operators. It is becoming increasingly important in Ireland, now that homes are being built and retro-fitted to high standards. Once you have WiFi calling, you don't need to concern yourself too much with the mobile operator coverage in your area - except outdoors - and mobile coverage is usually good outdoors. While WhatsApp is fine for person-to-person calling and messaging - it is not generally much use for calling hospitals doctors, banks etc, and that is where WiFi calling helps. Also, many 2-Factor authentication services use SMS text messaging, and so it is important to be able to receive normal SMS messages if you are out of coverage from a mobile mast. In Ireland, Eir (and their sub-brand GoMo) is the only operator that fully supports WiFi calling - including use when roaming and text messaging. Vodafone have a limited version, but they prohibit use while roaming, and Vodafone does not support text messaging.

Thanks a million for that indepth info - I had no clue that actually existed! It sounds brilliant!

Would you mind guiding me to how I might be able to use /set that up please? Would be brilliant even day to day.

Would it work to call foreign numbers too do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Wifi calling doesn't give you free calls or anything like that. It essentially allows you to make use of your normal allowances/etc, and your coverage is based on wifi (when connected to wifi) or the normal 3/4/5g masts if you are out and about. I had an iPhone (briefly) and now have a Samsung and both automatically enabled wifi calling without me needing to do anything. You don't notice it once it's enabled.

Note - I am with GoMo, and my coverage in Cork City and surrounding areas has largely been perfect. I was in Limerick before Christmas for work and was getting 1.1 Gbps just wandering around - which puts Clear Mobiles offering to shame.

Check the settings in your phone for - probably under WiFi or Phone settings. If you see an option for WiFi calling, enable it. Then you should get an additional icon on the top of the screen when you are connected to WiFi, which shows that WiFi Calling is also in use. Make sure to get your phone unlocked from your current operator before porting to GoMo. Even though your phone manufacturer may support WiFi Calling, it is possible that the current firmware on your phone does not support it. In that case, you may need to go to a phone shop and get the firmware updated to the latest version. Most phones have supported it for the the last 6 years or so. The best way to ensure that your phone model supports WiFi calling is to buy direct from an Eir shop, or to buy a model from a manufacturer that Eir already sell - eg Samsung, Apple, Oppo etc. When you port to GoMo, Apple will update their settings, so you will get WiFI calling automatically, even if your previous operator didn't support it. Android is a little different - it depends on the manufacturer and the firmware.

Regarding making calls to international numbers - when you use WiFi calling, your phone remains connected to your home network, no matter where in the world you are. Hence the calling plan you get stays exactly as it is if you remain at home. This means that international calls will be treated as if you made them from Ireland. You can also make calls to 1800 numbers etc, that are not usually available when you are roaming abroad. They will all work, but there is one scenario you need to watch out for - calls to EU destinations are free when roaming within the EU - but not necessarily from your home country. Hence, you could actually pay for an international call on WiFi calling that would be free if roaming. It's not a big deal, because roaming calls are free in Europe - but you just need to be aware of it, and toggle WiFi calling off in this scenario, if necessary.

• Advertisement

Thanks a MILLION for that!!!

I cant seem to get wifi calling on my phone but I'm going to pop into my local phone shop and see if I'm missing something and if its possible

If your phone is Android, it may need a firmware upgrade. If your phone manufacturer sells to Eir, the phone shop should be able to flash in the latest Eir firmware, which will also work for GoMo. You might have to pay a small fee for this, particularly if you didn't buy the phone in the shop. What make/model of phone is it? Did you get it assigned to an Operator, or SIM-free?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

It appears on the Nokia G50 we have on Voda SIM. Never actually used it though. It's a spare/backup phone. I think also on an old Motorola. Not on our Chinese phones though.

Hiya,

Its a Samsung Galaxy A34

Its actually a work phone but I pay for my own use on it.

Its Vodafone and Bill-Pay

That's great if it is Samsung - they have been very consistent in supporting WiFi calling on their handsets since the early days.

However, Vodafone's support for WiFi calling has been a bit patchy. On Vodafone's website, business customers are advised to call 1907 to check if they are supported. Perhaps the business plans don't automatically support it, or they may need to enable it for you? You might be quicker to borrow an Eir or GoMo SIM from someone and pop it in your phone to check if the feature is included in your firmware (assuming your handset isn't locked to Vodafone). Worst case, you might need to get the latest firmware flashed in a shop. However, even if the firmware is right, you may still be unable to use WiFi calling on Vodafone if your business plan doesn't support it. Also - remember that Vodafone don't allow use of WiFi calling when roaming (one of the most useful use-cases!), and they don't support text messaging over WiFi calling. You will need to get a GoMo or eir SIM to support these features.

Ah that makes sense. My husbands phone is currently Eir so I will see if his works - he also has a Samsung

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

Lyca mobile €10 per month unlimited.

Needed a sim card for one of the kids as we were going to Europe for the week. Downloaded an eSim (check if you phone is compatible) from Lyca and was online in minutes and hadn't left the PC.

Had no problem abroad streaming Netflix etc

Just did a speedtest on 4G as its iPhone 11 and not 5G although lyca supports this (have it on teenagers phone)

Getting 13mbps download and 3mbps upload and the provider was Vodafone !!

Just to note about the Lyca offer:

30 days plan: 50% OFF for first month for new customers buying SIM + Plan online. Enable Auto-Renewal at purchase and get this offer for 12 months including first month at €10/30 days. Price will revert back to standard price of €20/30 days from the 13th month onward. If your auto-renewal fails, then your offer will be cancelled and you’ll be charged the standard price of €20/30 days. The allowance will renew automatically every 30 days period.

Whereas the GoMo offer of €14.99 is for life...

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

Whereas the GoMo offer of €14.99 is for life...

Tell me about it! I had the €9.99 for life but had to let it go as the iPhones Santy got were American and eSim only !....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 williamjames219

Visit pkbundle for all type of mobile packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭xl500

I have Vodafone monthly 20euro

Bit dearer but always works wherever I go and I travel a lot

My sister and her partner have gomo and have lots of coverage problems when travelling with us and ours are perfect on Vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

Vodafone-good to know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

WiFi calling is basically just facilitated by the switch over to full, modern VoIP based core voice and networks. Eir has been way ahead on this. 3 was the big laggard on that and Vodafone seems to be deliberately hobbling features, including geo locking it to only work in Ireland so they force you to use roaming.

The mobile networks used digital circuit switching for voice, which is/was basically the same technology that was used for landline PSTN voice and ISDN, using digital telephone exchanges. When you made a call on those networks it was handled by 2G or 3G usually, while 4G and 5G were data only. That also handled SMS and MMS messaging.

As data networks got faster and more solid with 4 and 5G , they moved to VoLTE, which is VoIP. The call connects across the LTE 4G/5G data network and is processed by a system called an IMS (IP Multimedia Subsystem) which is essentially just set of servers that provide voice and messaging services.

You will notice this if your phone remains on 4G/5G when you make a call. If the network doesn’t support it, you’ll drop to 3G or 2G. Also you’ll notice the call connects instantly and your data stays up. 2G / 3G voice takes 2 or 3 seconds to connect a call and your data drops off.

Once a network is running on that kind of platform, all customer needs is an IP connection, so you can seamlessly connect them over the mobile network, or over WiFi and across the public internet. Your phone just connects to the IMS.

(Eir also hosts its landline services on the same IMS platform btw. So if you are using VoBB (voice over broadband), a classic landline (runs across a Nokia PSTN emulation system now) or you’ve a business service with SIP trunks, it’s all feeding into a common IMS platform for all of their voice services.)

Anyway, to cut a long story short, Eir has fully implemented IMS on all of it’s networks, while Vodafone has too but hobbles it for roaming and 3 have been late to the party, but seem to be there now, kind of…

Also be aware that not every handset will support WiFi calling on every network. They have to provision it.

Generally iPhones seem to be universally supported in Ireland, Samsung is also no issue. But if you take something like the Google Pixel, it only seems to work on 3 due to some deal cut between 3 and Google.

So just beware there are a few things to consider if you’re going to rely on WiFi calling at present.

Post edited by RetroEncabulator on

Advertisement