Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on buying id4

Options
  • 27-01-2024 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

So put a deposit on a kia sportage phev, but on seeing the price reduction on the vw range I decided to have a serious look at id4,went to liffey valley and had a test drive and liked it went in and discussed a pro plus ,then the trade in value of my 22 kua ceed phev estate,18k other brands including kia and cupra and toyota all in around 25.5k,so disappointed cause really seriously interested in going ev,anybody found Frank keanes giving low trade in values,going to sheehy in Naas to see if they are any better, don't mind if it's not exactly 25k but somewhere close at least would be nice,if not its another phev,the id4 is the only option I would consider fir various reasons boot bigger battery etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Id4 range being massively discounted recently wouldn't be surprising if trade in quotes have dropped too. All you can do is shop around and play them off against each other and come back to them for better offers once you have a hand to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Casati

Shop around, take nice photos of your car and phone around dealers across the country. I found a 8k difference between individual VW dealers on trade in values recently, each dealer is an individual business and your car could be worth a lot more to some dealers than to others. 18k is an insult for your car unless it has starship mileage. Check if that Cupra garage offering you 25.5k also has a VW dealership in their group.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Trade in values are usually lower from brands with no association to the brand you are trading in but there's a big gap there between different dealerships which seems odd.

The car industry is a shambles at the moment. People are being ripped off with trade in values and new cars are too expensive. You might be best sticking with Kia as that is inevitably where you will get the best value for your existing car. The ID4 is cheap at the moment but give it another year and there will be a facelift model.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

We got 33k for a 5yr old Tiguan R line with 87,000kms that they flipped for 38k in a week! Think best private we would have gotten 35k.

You could always list private and go with cash, get scrappage. Divanes in Kerry giving 4k

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭baz69

Selling private bit of a headache been there before lot of time wasters, trade on values of 25k is what I would also value car at, when i asked the f Keane salesman ,which buy the way was really nice and he was disappointed that a deal couldn't be done, basically he takes photos of car before we went on test drive in id4,he sends then to approx 13 dealers they have on their books and whoever comes back with highest bid is what they offer,obviously when I told him how far apart we were, that's when he said that's how they do it they move non vw through the trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Don't be buying an ID4 if you want a big/usable boot. It's pretty average.

Bigger battery required because of how surprisingly inefficient it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

ID4 boot is huge. It's also pretty average for efficiency for most of the year (it can do the claimed range - 500km - without too much issue unlike Tesla and others) but does take a comparatively significant hit in winter. When I had one I was averaging 15 kWh/100km in summer and 18+ in winter. IIRC my long term average over two years and 40k km was something like 17.2.

So efficency on 77kwh id4 is OK is that about right ,I need something that would do 400km whatever the weather is that daydreaming in id4 ,to give you an idea my current phev over 75000 km is 3.3 per 100km not sure what that is in kwh,I know sportage phev is safe bet with good residual, if I decide to wait and go ev in couple if years wonder if current id4 is so keenly priced and new one on the way soon ,will residual be rubbish in couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How often do you do 400km a day?

when you do it, is it 200km park for

several hours and then drive home doing another 200km?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭sk8board

There’s very few cars that will do 400km reliably in winter, and forget about it if your 400km includes motorway speeds

• Advertisement

No unfortunately its straight there and quick coffee then back ,only be twice a week other days be max 60k which my current phev just manages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭MarkN

I mean that through a good portion of the year the ID4 will achieve its claimed WLTP range of ~500km, or very close, without too much difficulty - this was my experience in two years of ownership. My experience of my Model Y RWD so far is that it is very unlikely that you will achieve the claimed ~450km barring some extreme hyper miling. This is essentially 'admitted' by Tesla who don't even bother pretending it will get the claimed mileage and instead display a full battery in-car as 418km (and even that figure is problematic as some investigative journalists revealed). From posts on the Tesla Owners group, it seems that noone ever gets the full claimed range. Based on various posts here and elsewhere, it also seems that some other marques are also unlikely to get the full claimed range.

As mentioned above, the situation changes in winter, when the VW group cars seem to have about the biggest hit to their range of most marques. Tesla performs better here, staying closer to its summer range.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

You must have a very light foot, I have 2 VW group cars that have never once hit their claimed range in almost 18 months.

The GOM didn't even have the sense of humour to give claimed range it at 100% on a hot day. It came close once, but burst out laughing when it saw me and lost about 50kms in the process.

I do seem to get good mileage generally (on fourth EV now) but my wife says I have a heavy right foot! Dunno, maybe I drive smoothly or something...

The wife has a Born. I'm not in it much but I've seen the GOM display higher than the claimed range in summer.

Advertisement