Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live in Sligo?

Options
  • 26-01-2024 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi, we don't live in Sligo and don't know it very well at all.

New jobs will cover Donegal to Galway, where is best as a base? Huge amount of time won't be spend in the house or even apartment but don't want to be too isolated.

I suspect at max we'll only spend every second weekend there.

Best location for a lot of travel really.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Spn744

Donegal and Galway are both opposite sides of Sligo! I live in Collooney personally and that would allow you to get quickly into Sligo town (10 min bypass road) and a straight road to Galway. Great local amenities and very close to the town for your main shops etc with no single roads, cheaper rent and house prices than Sligo town also. Any other questions let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Where in Galway and Donegal? They're both big counties. If you're not on the road too often then pick where you like. There's a straight road from Sligo to Galway, but it only gets good at Tuam.

The road to Donegal is alright, but it depends where you're going.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭SunnySundays

All of Galway and all of Donegal.

Both could be on the road 3/4 times a week.

It will only be for 3 year max, preferably 2.

Will check out Collonney, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Mullinabreena

Tubbercurry is about 1 hour 15 minutes to Galway city and about the same for Donegal town, traffic dependent. If you can find somewhere to rent I'd imagine it would be a bit cheaper than Sligo. Obviously not as much social outlets and shops as Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

I cover a similar territory and drive out of Sligo every day, Sligo town is your best bet, North or East Wards, that way you avoid having to deal with the by/through pass, 730 or earlier is the best time to go out, except winter on the N17 from the Ballymote turn off to Curry is a nightmare run in the dark, the undulations in the road means you keep getting beamed out of it, the N17 from just south of Charlestown to Tuam is a decent road in the mornings, N15 from Sligo to Bunduff Bridge is ok, nice road to Ballybofey from there. It can be tricky getting out on to N15 from the West of that road in the morning especially if you are turning right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Luna84

There's a straight road from Sligo to Galway, but it only gets good at Tuam.

How do you mean it only gets good at Tuam? It is a great road from Charlestown to Tuam. Unless you are talking about dual carriage way instead of single the rest of the road is.

Advertisement