Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vintage Tax / Commercial Vehicle

Options
  • 26-01-2024 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

So vintage/veteran tax (and classic insurance) is a concession to facilitate us taking our mobile museum pieces out on the road for an occasional spin/ trip to a show. The question is: if I opt for v/v tax on my N1 5 seat Utility Land Cruiser when it hits 30 does it lose its use as a commercial vehicle. Also, should insurance then change from commercial?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

vintage tax would not apply if the vehicle is being used commercially. Vintage insurance does not cover commercial use. Also worth noting that the exemption from CVRT testing at 40 years old does not apply to N1 vehicles being used commercially either.

If you are using it privately, yes you can get the vintage tax and insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dex Dexta

Thanks ELM327.

So if opting for v/v do I have to revisit the suitably qualified individual and have it reclassified (converted) M1?

Ignore that last post - I suppose it can still be a commercial vehicle but not used commercially: like a Ford D-series or Bedford TK lorry, for example.

Maybe I’m heading into the weeds with this one, but what’s the story on towing a trailer on vintage tax/ classic insurance?

Commercial policy only covers anything connected with my business (so the motorbike is down as an express courier vehicle and the old car as an advertising hoarding - magnetic sign stuck to the side).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

I tow a small trailer from time to time with one of my classics and I'm covered. I'm with AXA

• Advertisement

Good to hear - thanks.

One more thing (maybe I should get myself a little ole Peugeot rag-top😁); modified vehicle and classic insurance - some insurers consider my Land Cruiser a modified vehicle because of the “conversion” to N1 5 seat Utility (crew cab only applies to pick-ups, fire tenders and large vans, in my book), so are classic insurers likely to do the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

If you are using it commercially in connection with a business, you'd need the appropriate commercial insurance and a yearly CVRT. The tax class of it I wouldn't worry about unless you met a sticky guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

If youre having difficulty getting insurance, Id get an engineers report stating the modification to 5 seater is nothing out of the ordinary

It was some years back - during that N1 5 seat window of opportunity.

I approached Zurich directly and they refused cover. I stuck with Insure my van, having advised them of the ‘modification”, and the policy issued: from Zurich - go figure….

Advertisement