Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much due you get for renting out your house to Ukranians

Options
  • 25-01-2024 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1

How much due you get for renting out your house to Ukranians and what do I have to provide

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

All the info you need is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Isn't the government looking to change what they pay for Ukrainians accommodation? Or is this only to Hotels?

Living the life

Think it’s more the benefits they are being paid rather than accomadation payments, but it must surely only be a matter of time before the accomadation payments are also reduced. I suspect the fear would be that there would be a sudden eviction of tens of thousands of the refugees which the government would then have to house.

Yes, i would say they will rethink the accommodation payments soon.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I wonder whats going to happen when they reduce or stop the payments but the guests dont feel like leaving?

• Advertisement

Why should they be any different to any other guest in your house? Surely you are not implying that the Ukrainians would be any less law abiding?

I think you know what can and does happen when people are asked to leave where they live in Ireland and they dont feel like it. If you are not aware of that then there really is no hope for you.

But you are just following me around boards looking for an endless argument arent you :)

This came up on my accomadation feed, I hadn’t realised it was you, but your comment is no more accurate than on other threads. Rather than getting bogged down, just bear in mind, the Ukrainians house under the state scheme are not tenants, do not pay rent, will never be tenants under the scheme, have no tenancy rights, cannot gain protection from eviction from any legislation, are not covered by the RTB. So like any guest, they can be asked to leave and the property owner is within their rights to use whatever means a hotel or guest house would use if a guest refused to leave.

My guess is that you are trying to imply that the Ukrainians may cause trouble, given that they have not in other properties which have reverted back to original use after terminating the agreement with the State, I’m not sure what basis you have for implying that.

You really arent up with the the whole asking people to leave who dont want to leave scene are you? No point link dumping legislation again and again like you always do. The reality is that to remove someone who doesnt want to be removed is more than difficult in Ireland.

Actually., dont know why im even bothering explaining it to you ... just read the news or something. Everyone knows this already. You cant be the only one in the country who doesnt.

People have a right to avail of tenancy legislation to protect themselves from eviction, and even have rights associated with overholding which make it difficult to evict. I hope, but doubt you understand that Ukrainians do not have those same protections, so again, having given whatever notice is required to the State, like any guest, they can be legally removed from the house.

• Advertisement

Jesus you are hard work. You just dont get it at all do you?

Or you are just looking for arguments all the time. You are like a stalker.

You can talk to the wall now if you want to keep arguing. Im finished.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It would be advisable if you read up on tenancy legislation rather than claiming it's link dumping. But anyway:

Do not post on this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭snowcat

The poster is correct. Removing a guest can be as problematic as removing a tenant, I have heard of Airbnb 'guests' refusing to move and like everything in Ireland it is a civil matter as far as the law is concerned. When they are in a non registered commercial premises it is not straight forward too. I called the Gardai on a person who refused to leave my rental premises. He paid a tenant a few hundred euro to stay a few weeks without my knowledge. The guard informed me he had rights even though i knew nothing about it.

No it isn’t, a tenant has legal rights under the RTA which do not exist for Ukrainians housed under the State scheme. A Ukrainian cannot dispute the eviction with the RTB, there is no right to remain there if you give notice to the State. Their right to reside there is no stronger than a guest in a B&B or hotel who refuses to leave.

Trespass becomes a criminal matter once the Gardai instruct the trespasser to leave a property, the Gardai probably did not intervene in your case because you have a tenancy agreement with your tenant and the person was there by permission of your tenant which no doubt muddied the waters.

Oh god you are difficult allright, You obviously have no experience. So what do you do if your guest refuses to leave and does not engage with you or the Gardai if called? The guards wont hang around. They wont beat down the door. They will tell you its a civil matter and contact your solicitor. Rights and law are one thing enforcement is another.

Sorry, I added to my post, I’m not difficult, I’m just not saying what you want to hear.

There seems to be some insinuation that Ukrainians will cause trouble if their agreement with a home owner ends, is there some evidence of this or is it just xenophobia.

There is no xenophobia. I have multiple Ukrainian tenants who are great. I have Airbnbs and rent a rooms too, They all have the POTENTIAL to cause trouble and not leave and it is a huge headache if this happens. It is not as simple as saying they have no rights and you can remove them in 7 days etc. I have had Gardai involved and unless they engage with the Gardai you are going no where.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

Very strange that the government will pay so little to rent out your house, just €800 a month, regardless of the size of the house. If you had a 4 bed house, that would work out at €200 pm per bedroom or less than €50 per bedroom per week.

I understand that hotels and B&B’s are making around €2000 per room per week, so roughly 40 times. No wonder so few people with second empty homes are willing to rent it this way

What would you do if someone renting a room in your home refused to leave?

It is a money spinner renting to Ukrainians under the State scheme, I could be wrong but I think it is also tax free.

• Advertisement

Change the locks, put their belongings in black bags outside.

I know my friend had to do this.

Living the life

What is the difference so if the same person(s) were housed in a separate property under the Ukrainian housing scheme? They have the same rights, or lack there of.

Yes. Generally works,If they are a guest, No notice no written correspondence. Once they overstay straight in and remove everything, change locks. Make sure there is no text messages emails etc, Let them prove from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I fully agree that having no tenancy rights does not mean people (not just Ukrainians, Irish, any country) will just leave at the end of the agreed period.

I had been considering doing this with a vacant property while waiting to sort out some missing legal paperwork before selling, but now not so sure. I know most people would normally leave but th le rhetorical question is where do they go? I don't want to be going in changing locks or worse if they do not leave. That would be FUBAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I'm not sure that that would work. The neighbour of my dad took in a Ukrainian woman and her son. Without going into details, there were major issues, and she was told by the authorities that it would not be possible to re-home the Ukrainian unless the host could either find alternative accommodation or wait several months. If she just kicked the woman out, I have a strong suspicious that all sorts of issues with the authorities would come up.

Who would have imagined that taking a complete stranger into your family home could potentially be problematic. Oh well, I'm sure the Twitter social credit was worth it for a few weeks...

I’m going to call BS on that (not you, your neighbour). There is no responsibility on host families to rehouse Ukrainians, nor any onus on hosts to continue to accommodate them beyond the notice period. And there would be no issues with the authorities, the body overseeing the housing scheme are clear that there is no rental agreement and the fees paid to hosts are a gift.

This is just more indulgence in scare tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Well I did hear it from my father, so it's possible that the story grew arms and legs. However, I still don't think that getting a Ukrainian out of the house would be an easy thing to do once one lets them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭arctictree

Would the Gardai really force someone out if you asked them to? Once there is even a hint of them being a tenant (ie not just some stranger who walked in off the street), I'd say the Gardai would tell you its a civil matter and leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The guards don't force anyone out. You have a trespasser, you put them out yourself. The guards might attend in case there is a breach of the peace.

Advertisement