Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Membership Question - Islandbridge Area (Castleknock V Luttrellstown, or other?!)

Options
  • 25-01-2024 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all

First time post, apologies if not in right section !

I was hoping for some advice as me and my partner are looking for a golf course to join. We live in Islandbridge and looks as though it's going to be between Castleknock, or Luttrellstown.

Castleknock is more affordable, have played it before and enjoyed it. Haven't played Luttrellstown yet, will do so before deciding.

Is anyone a member at either of these and can shed any light on what the pros and cons are of each?

Castleknock is probably in the lead atm because their membership runs from the month you join, luttrellstown doesn't, it starts from Jan so have already missed a month.

I understand the practice facilities are better at LT, which is useful as my GF is new to golf and she'd want to practice a fair bit.

What are the practice facilities like at Castleknock, it mentions a range on the website but don't recall seeing one when i was there?

Also when i spoke with the guy as Castleknock he said there were around 900 members ish, this seems pretty high? Are there issues playing on a weekend ? In the summer i'd probably just want to go out and play on my own last minute in the evening so that might be quite difficult at Castleknock?

Also if there's any comments on social side/ atmosphere of of each that would be helpful too ?!

Thanks a lot

Lewie

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The membership rate should be pro-rata, so if Luttrellstown runs Jan-Dec you should be only playing ~11 months worth if you join now.

900ish members sounds fairly normal I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lewie1989

Thanks for the quick reply, i asked at LT if they would pro- rata but initially have said no ! I've asked if they can do anything else to make it more attractive so will see what they come back with

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Ffs

new boards

just spent 20 minutes writing a decent reply on my phone and it disappeared

I'll try again!

I was a member in Castleknock for a fair few years. I was a full time credits member and just loved round the corner so it was a second club for me. It's a decent club, definitely better than it was say 10 years ago. As a club I think it's possibly the better of the 2 although I'm not to sure about Luttrelstown as I think they are building it up nicely after the fall off they had when plans were afoot to close it down (near 20 years ago now I'd say). Having said that I don't know enough about the luttrelstown set up. Castleknock definitely doing what they can to create a good club with socials etc, but to be honest, bar nearly always empty. lots of car park golfers. in my other club, most would go in after for at least a cup of tea. in Castleknock, I found most would jut leave after golf. I also find that compared to my main club, the range of competitions were nowhere near as good or varied.

But still only comps on a Saturday and Sunday. there are opens on a Tuesday but the last time I brought guests (maybe year and half ago) was shocked an disappointed to find out the only midweek golfing day also was one of the restaurant closed days. there is a small society within the club who play competitions on Thursday mornings but I believe you have to over 60 male. so from a competition golf side, I think its poor, but I can't say if Luttrelstown is any better or even as good.

the booking system is chronogolf, which apparently is a very good system, but from a member/user point of view it is absolute dirt for booking golf. I wasn't a regular competition golfer there as I had the other club, but to be honest I probably got out most times I wanted. there is no waiting list though. you have to ring pro shop for that and they slot you in. but I was jumped on a number of times because people drop out and someone else books in before shop put me down. people book lines and still no names beside them, pet hate and very frustrating. they shouldn't be allowed, but weak system allows it.

management of club is not what it was. some of the staff you have to wonder how they are still working there. could meet them every day for a year and they still wouldn't know who you are. they be standing around like lemons. no proper leadership. the best staff all left or were shown the door for daft reasons. can't carry any credits forward at all now which is not good, used to be unlimited, then 10%... now just none!

the restaurant was why I was a member, it was local, the best food in d15 and great prices. went there a lot, so credits membership made sense. now the restaurant is crap. family got sick of going there so I left. poor food and terrible service and crazy high prices. simple things like a ham and cheese sambo you couldn't have, it had had to come with a bowl of soup and was about a tenner if I recall correctly. no chance you could just have a bowl of soup on its own either! it had to be menu items only, with no thinking outside the box. the menu nearly never changed. kids always wanting regular chips, never did them, only chunky chips and they would never listen to feedback.

the course is decent at Castleknock. not amazing, but decent and a good test. there are a few areas that are badly designed and some internel OB which is never a good thing. its a very playable course. it is definitely not as well maintained as it once was, but still kept in good condition generally. it does drain well and is playable when lots around might not be. need to get out early though as it can get very slow and it's not a course that should be slow. 3:50-4:10 should be comfortable for a 4 ball. could be 5 hours on some weekends... a joke! incidentally , its always 4 balls, never ever 3 balls.

there is a putting green beside the first tee but I don't think its great as its way to slopey with no level areas, so not ideal for practice. there is another green beside the clubhouse/10th tee which has a couple of bunkers. again, very slopey, but ok for a bit of chipping practice. that is it though. practice facilities are not great

luttrelstown has a far far superior course, like in a different league. condition always super but it did used to have issues with soft ground in winter months. I think they have done lots of work on that over the years though. the restaurant is fab food, but last couple of times I was there the service was poor

practice facilities are excellent. they have a grass range mostly in play with indoor set up for bad weather times. maybe 6 indoor bays, probably 10-12 outdoor spots. anyone can use the range, you don't have to be a member and you can get tokens in pro shop. there is also a 3 hole short game area which is only for members... 😉 it's a while since I was on it, but I think there is also an area with a green and couple of bunkers. a super putting green in front of clubhouse

I'm sure I had some more information included in my post that vanished earlier, but got most of it here I'm sure .

I live right between the 2 courses, so lash over any questions you might have

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Could've condensed all that down to.... "It's gone to sh1te." 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 chuckles1

Hermitage an option? Best course in the area by a country mile.

Probably should have added I left at end of 2022 and haven’t been round much since so it may well be a bit better now

Probably best club also. Decent short game area though no range (I may be wrong on that?)

I meant to also say that there are plans afoot which will transform the Luttrelstown course and land, along with all the land beside Hemitage into a new mini town with lots and lots of houses! It’s been a while since I seen the plans, can’t remember where but if I come across them I’ll post them up here

• Registered Users Posts: 44 chuckles1

No range, but it does have a gym now that you can pay extra for.

and you do have to use mats for some of the winter, but then they will have the best fairways around (and greens) for the majority of the year.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for your comments on this, much appreciated!

I went to Luttrellstown on Sunday to have a look around and used the driving range there. I don't think it's going to be for us. I played Knightsbook the day before which is a long course which made me question how much i'd actually enjoy the length of Luttrellstown playing 3/ 4 times a week in summer. They did get back to me and said we could do a membership from Feb to Feb which is good of them but all things considered i think it's going to be a no.

I wish castleknock was a bit cheaper, i don't think i can justify a 2k + membership, maybe if there was a range it would be more palatable but if i wanted to work on driving, shot shaping etc i'd still need to pay to use a range somewhere so i think it's also a pass.

This has led me to Elm green which is around 1100 ish. I've played 9 holes there and it's OK, not amazing but was in reasonable condition and it's closer to where i live. With the Corballis reciprocal rights (a course i do love) it seems like a better fit for us.

I am thinking i can use the extra cash saved at Castleknock to keep an eye on golf now for some good deals elsewhere or play some of the big ticket courses too, especially on the west coast. If I was a member of LT or Castleknock, would probably not be able to do this.

Hermitage seems a mystery to me and maybe a bit exclusive ? I called up and i think you need a sponsor to join and the joining fee was huge which makes it a no straight off the bat. Hopefully will get a chance to play there at some point as i am intrigued !

Thanks again everyone for the input !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Worth a look too at the boards golf society list of outings.

Here's an interesting article about what could have been another strong option..

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/did-you-know-there-used-to-be-a-golf-course-in-the-phoenix-park-1.4229915

pity it's no longer there!

haven't read you link yet

but the club is still there and just moved didn't it?

Royal Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

One great thing about Elmgreen is that the 4 loops is brilliant for making friends as you see so many people

It is also under rated

i am member so pm

Sorry I should add main reason I am member is I can’t justify extra in castleknock. There isn’t massive diff

I’ve u-turned again on this decision ! I thought about it this week and something that put me off elm green was that it might not be sociable ? There’s no where to sit after the round and have a drink ? So I started leaning back towards castleknock 😅 what are the comps like at elm green? Also Is it sociable as I assumed it’s going to be a rock up and play, leave type course ?

Interesting , always thought there was potential for a cracking golf course there !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

A few minutes further up the M50 to St Margaret's and Corrstown.

St Margaret's is a great course and has a nice clubhouse with friendly atmosphere and nice members.

A few of my friends are Corrstown members and speak highly of it. 27 holes too.

The latest in our membership quest is Castleknock is probably a no, GF won't get the value out of membership there with the joining fee so back again looking. Elm Green still a possibility.

Thanks for these 2 options but possibly too far in the traffic. I am going to do an after work run and see how long it takes, google maps is saying between 35- 55 mins. I've played 9 holes at St Margarets and thought it was a lovely course, haven't played corrstown so will have a look at that.

Thanks again

Open Comps Wednesday, Friday and Saturday

Sunday for member comps and all majors

There are benches outside and always people hanging round and very rare that i wouldnt meet/chat with 5-10 i know

I managed a team for a couple years so that plays a part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Have you considered Westmanstown? I’m not a fan of it and my choice would be Luttlestown or Corrstown. Luttlestown is a bit to expensive but that depends on what you want and usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

Op, take this with a pinch of salt as it might not suit you, but if you're heading out the N4 direction from Islandbridge towards Castleknock and Luttrelstown etc, it might be just as easy to head out the N7 direction and you'd have a good few additional options just outside the M50, the likes of Newlands (quite expensive I think), Beech Park, Slade Valley, Castlewarden and more. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Westmanstown not taking adult males at the moment. Ladies, juniors and juveniles for the time being.

Edit: quoted wrong post.

Hi All,

Thanks again for all your comments and advice, really appreciate it. Took the plunge and ended up joining St Margarets ! It's right on the limit of how far i'd be willing to travel for golf (probs about 40 mins in traffic after work) but it's a lovely course and one i'd be very happy to play every week. They offered us quite a good deal and have an intro to golf course for women which my partner was pretty keen to get involved with so worth giving it a go, if 40 mins is too long to travel then at least we'll know for next time !

Advertisement