Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power pedals - Assioma uno or discounted Garmin rally rk100

Options
  • 25-01-2024 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭

Yo.

The wife's, frankly awesome, garmin vector 2's have finally calved after 12 years of faithful operation in winter and summer. Absolutely amazing pieces of kit. Think we had to replace the pod battery doors once because they had been worn away, but the pedals themselves and bearings are still as smooth as butter.

But, unfortunately they no longer measure watts accurately or reliably so I've been on to Garmin and they no longer support the pedals or provide replacement pods, so it's time to move on.

So, my question is - out of the two options above - which is the better? A pair of Assioma Favera Uno (a)'s, provide single leg power measurement for 399 euro. Or, Garmin are offering a trade-in/trade-up 30% discount on their pedals, which means the Garmin Rally Rk100, normally 599, reduced to 420 euro on the trade in discount.

Faveras are a plug in and recharge unit. Garmin is a coin battery set up.

Has any one got either or both that can recommend them? I've heard a lot of good about the Assiomas but we've had such a good Garmin experience I'd have no problem sticking with them either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭barleyman

Recently bought 2 sets of xc100 from alltricks for my mtb and CX bikes so that i can easily swap.

was going to go for the 2 sided and realised i could get 2 sets of the single sided for the same price. Made sense to me!!

The other reason i went with Garmin is that i can easily convert them to road pedals (with additional expense) if i ever want to.

I bought the premium membership for €9.99 which among its benefits is free postage and 10% off everything in your basket for your birthday. Your birthday can effectively be any date you want but only one birthday per year so use wisely...

Pack premium | Alltricks.com

The RKs are €405 with the discount in alltricks + 9.99 for the premium membership.

So far no issues with the pedals and have done both CX and XC rides with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Have the Assiomas dual sided. Can't fault them. I stayed away from Garmin because of all the issues I read about them online, plus they were way more expensive. Battery last ages on the Assiomas, at a guess I might have to charge them twice in about 5000 km

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Have Assioma Duos here also for the last 12 months and they've been faultless. Long lasting charge and calibration takes seconds if moving between bikes. Depending on what cleats she's using you might need to check if they can be ordered as standard in Shimano fit or whether you need additional hardware. They're Keo as standard I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Nice one. Keo Assiomas ordered. I might return her vectors for a pair of rallys for myself at a later date. Though my own vector 2s are 10 years old now and going strong. Stronger than my legs! :)

Presuming single sided will be fine. On my own set I turned off the cycling dynamics stuff cos it saves battery power and anytime I've bothered to look my split is 49/51 or 50/50.

At the end of the day all you want is a number to train to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think you do have to caveat that the Garmins would be much bigger sellers - so more noise about issues can be just the volume rather than the over quality standard. But favero have a great reputation.

I see it's too late, but at similar money, I'd be going Garmin for the option of (within warranty) spd option. But that may not be a factor. (Favero have an official spd version on the way!).

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, looking forward to seeing how the Assiomas fare. When we bought our vectors they were 1200 quid a pair so it's fantastic that you can have your choice of meters nowadays for a 3rd of that.

Can't say that for much else in the bike industry. If power pedals followed the same trajectory as frames or bikes or groupsets etc then it'd 3 and a half grand now for power meters that were heavier than before 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

I have the vector 3's and can't fault them, the numbers are always accurate and riding through all sorts of Irish weather not sure how they are still going 😀. Not sure where all the bad press re Garmin vectors come from but I love them.

Also some recent dealing with Garmin in relation to an edge 1030 replacement and previous replacement of old vectors I am completely loyal to the brand.

Customer service is excellent and when issues are reported there are is no fighting for a warranty replacement. On some occasions they have provided replacements when out of warranty or offered great discounts. Fantastic company in my experience.

Absolutely. I've found them fantastic too for lots of stuff warranty and support

• Registered Users Posts: 35 abmoto

A relatively new convert to power pedals, I went with Assioma Duos. Have been faultless for the last month since I got them.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭T5180

Ive been using Assioma Favera Uno for at least 3 years , not single fault . I know of at least six others using them also and I haven`t heard of any problems .

• Advertisement

Took an age to get the damn thing working. Wouldn't transmit any data and nothing in the box or manual about how. Was nearly going to rebox and return. Had to go googling to find out you had to download an app to register and activate the pedals.

A bad start. But they're working now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Only issue I have had in 5 years was on days of near torrential rain when there is large unavoidable puddles. However once they “dry” out again the readings were within normal ranges. This has happened maybe twice over the 5 year period.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭nilhg

Not to rain on Faveros parade I have a set of Assioma duos for 4 years and they had been fairly continuously used for that time, probably in excess of 45km km. During that time I'd replaced the bearings twice once I had any inkling they were less than silky smooth, I had no issues with that, thought it was a reasonable life expectancy for so small a bearing in an exposed enough situation.

Last autumn I noticed that my power readings were off during spins, a mid spin calibration would usually sort it as long as the spin wasn't too long. Looking at the readings afterward showed that the L/R balance was drifting off with the L pedal being the one reading incorrectly.

i emailed Favero and they ran some diagnostics through the app and confirmed the L pedal to be working incorrectly, my impression was that it was the temp compensation that wasn't working but they weren't specific.

My warranty period was well out but Favero offered me a deal of €299 for a new left pedal which I could pair to my remaining right through the app and included in that price a new R pedal body so I wouldn't have one new and one worn one.

I thought this was a reasonable offer and was happy to accept, they're working perfectly now and hopefully the R will last a good while yet.

You need the app also if you go travelling with them. You put them to sleep mode so they won't be wasting battery on flight etc. and you need the app to wake them up again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭nilhg

Maybe the newer Assiomas are different but mine are woken up from sleep/travel mode by attaching the charging cable for a minute, which means yuou have to take at least one cable with you on holidays even if the pedals are fully charged

Actually now that you mention it that might have been the case and and I was mistaken. I knew it involved bringing something that you might not normally bring on a trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭vintcerf

hi @fat bloke do you still have the pods? one of mine just broke and they're nowhere to be found online.

Yo. Sorry dude. I've only just sent them away to Garmin, I decided to go aheas with the trade up thing and you have to send in the old in exchange for the new.

I reckon they were shagged anyway, they wouldn't communicate with each other at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭vintcerf

ah cheers, might do the same or go for the faveros. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

The app is not a problem unless you usually leave ypur phone at home. The issue that might catch you is you need to plug them in to activate them. Though to be fair one at a time so one plug and cable.

• Advertisement

FFs I think I jinxed myself by saying the Assiomas were hassle free. Was off the bike for a month in March due to a cough thing. Went out for a spin last Friday and the pedals wouldn't calibrate. Looks like the right hand pedal has decided to stop measuring low power numbers. At the end of my spin the power balance L/R was 91%/9% .😂

In contact with Favero support now.

Advertisement