Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Breakdown assist ?

Options
  • 24-01-2024 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭

I checked with Aviva twice on my cover and they've told me both times that my cover means I can be towed home from anywhere in the country

So what's the crack then if I breakdown 100 miles away and they send out the local guy and he says he's only bringinf me to the garage

What's people's experience in these situations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You can pick a garage yourself within a reasonable distance. You're not obliged to go the garage that owns the tow truck.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭con747

I found in the past after breaking down you can get towed up to a reasonable distance home but if over around 30 miles they would bring you to the nearest garage you nominate. It could be policy specific though.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Guys my breakdown assist allows me to be towed home from anywhere in the country

That's my query

I've checked it twice so I know where i stand in the event

So are U saying what I fear that the guy who comes out won't do it

Are you sure about the towing home from anywhere in the country? Here's what the Aviva website states. "Towing,

If you can't drive your car because of a mechanical breakdown, we'll cover the cost of towing it to the nearest repairer or your own garage - whichever is closer. If you've had an accident for which you're insured, we'll collect your car and bring it to our nearest repairer."

If our repairer can't get your car running again at the scene and you're more than 30 kilometres from home, we've got you covered. We'll pay to get you and your passengers to your intended destination or we'll give you a replacement car for up to 48 hours and transport you back to collect your own car when it's fixed or we'll cover bed and breakfast accommodation while you and your passengers are waiting for your car to be repaired (up to €35 per person, and €150 in total)" https://www.aviva.ie/claims/car-claims/breakdown-rescue/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

My cover says the same and I did also recheck .. but the one time it happened and I needed a tow the local company asked what local garage I wanted.

That wasn’t much good on a bank holiday Monday.. tow truck driver said to take it up with insurance.. I had to stay local in a B&B which insurance did pay for.

Tow truck driver taught I was taking the piss when I told him I was covered to be towed home ( cork to kildare ) …

• Advertisement

I've rang them twice and they confirmed it both times

I just wanted to know where I stand in the event

I'll ring again tomorrow and report back

I'm 100% the same but my fear is like you the guy they send out won't do it

Do not believe what a customer service agent tells you! I would find it highly unlikely you can breakdown in Wexford and get towed to Donegal as an example! The worst thing is you won't know until the recovery driver tells you he can only go so far with your car to a drop off point.

So what happened after when you rang the insurance to query this situation?

They apologised, still claimed it was the case I should have been towed home . They did organise for car to be towed home following day . I got train home and insurance company covered costs. I never heard anything about it after that they said they would contact the first company to see what happened. A different company did arrive to take car home.

• Advertisement

So they did in fact honour the contract in the end

Just the local guy wouldn't do the tow home

About the way I expected it would play out alright

Better to know where you stand anyway before it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭reggie3434

I had similar hair pull out hair experience with insurance company, broke down 80 miles from home at night with parents in the back on a Saturday

joined AA the next week, never saw need for them till then but with situation like this I couldn’t believe how useless the service from insurance companies is.

Yeah but as mentioned that was just someone at customer services they never actually acknowledged if in fact the first driver was correct or not . This was over 12 years back and the wording on paper work was vague to say the least. Also the fist driver didn’t even attempt to fix he was only driver .. and on a bank holiday no point in just towing me to a closed garage. It made me realise how easy it would be to get stranded with kids in a rural location

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

It's a tough business to make a few bob in especially in rural tourist popular areas. Insurance companies would be glad to have more people provide the service but it's only a sideline for most operators.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Advertisement