Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bryan Dobson retiring from RTE

Options
  • 24-01-2024 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭

With extreme cost cutting measures promised to the taxpayer by Bakhurst in November - expecting RTE will replace Bryan by going through their list of permanent presenters staff of "corridor wanderers" that they are already paying handsomely for doing nothing or very little.

Somehow I doubt this will happen and they will recruit externally, just like they did with Callan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sorry to lose him.

He is very good on News at One.

Getting out a bit early, I wish him all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Bryan Dobson, like a number of his generation, started on pirate radio. He was on Dublin pirates Southside Radio and Radio Nova and was indeed a newsreader then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭RINO87

Did Dobbo start news at one right when Sean O Rourke went to mornings??

To me, he still sounds "new" in that slot. Ten years is not new 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

No he moved from RTE 1 Six One tv news to Radio 1 Morning Ireland in Sept 2017

He then moved to Radio 1 News at One in Oct 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

Good ole Dobbo! I like the term "News Presenter" which is a far more appropriate term than "newsreader" as Bob Gallico said to me " in Nova we talked the news not read-the-news. "

Best of luck to Dobbo a Nova man to the end. He could be 437 years at RTE but il best remember the 5 or so years he was with Nova more fondly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

To me he seems like the.laat of the genuine newsreaders. The likes of Don Cockburn Charles Mitchell Maurice O Doherty.

Probably shows how.long since I've watched rte or its news.

Wonder is he actually retiring or just moving to a different channel.

Still wishing him all the best.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

He's presenting a straight news show, so there are basically no external options. It'll be one of the existing core news team

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Was Bryan with Nova all the way from 1981 to its ending in 1986? Did he go to any other pirate after Nova before he joined RTE in 1987?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I'll miss Dobbo 😔 he was brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I’d imagine to most people he will be far better known as a newsreader and current affairs journalist than his few years as a “jock” on some pirate radio station in the 80’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,261 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The only time I remember ever getting himself into any sort of trouble was when he admitted that he gave media training to politicians. He seems like a very shrewd and astute individual I would guess that he has something else lined up.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

He’s retiring early. Maybe another Tubridy scandal in the making. Bet he was taking stationary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,344 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What will Callan do now? Dobbo was one of his boring regular go tos

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭elperello

He was nearly always stationary doing his job and he often had a few sheets of stationery in his hand 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭monseiur

Bryan will be 64 on the 10th Feb. with 37 years service with RTE so, assuming he ''bought back'' an extra 3 years pension credits, he'll have full 40 years pensionable service + a substantial lump sum tax free. As his pension will be based on his 6 figure salary I would wager that it will be twice what us ordinary mere mortals earn. Who could blame him for jumping off a now sinking ship that has been rudderless for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭TheBMG

That’s impressive! He left Nova in 1984 so you must’ve only been about eight years old. Pirate.ie have some lovely archive footage and photos of him (from 1982) if you’re interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭bigroad

He must have been the highest paid newsreader in the World.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Read a profile of him in the SBP a few years back when he moved to MI from TV. The journalist said he was perhaps the only person in Dublin media circles who no-one had a bad word to say about. Meant to be a total gentleman and wonderful colleague.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Unlikely. The American news anchors earn millions. Dan Rather was earning 6 million a year when he retired almost 20 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭quodec

I’ll always remember his solo stint in the RTÉ studio on the afternoon of 9/11, juggling manfully and admirably as the news from the US unfolded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Did an adequate job for his renumeration but I'll never forgive him for giving Bertie Ahern such an sympathetic interview after his dodgy financial situation was exposed.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm wondering if he is retiring for health reasons. He had a very grey complexion on the Six One News this evening and is much thinner than he used to be.

ah in fairness 7 years off our mainstream TV screens you would notice a difference in looks with anyone. although you'd see him occasionally on the RTE News Now TV channel in studio.

€209k per year is a fine salary as a permanent staff member these days in media, for a mon to fri 45 minute news programme filled with reports from other journalists and a few ad breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,444 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

"...and over to the News at One with Brenda Donohue...."

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Noticed that too. The VT showed clips of him on SixOne years ago and he was carrying a lot of weight in comparison. Hopefully he just decided to trim down for health reasons. Dobbo seems an honest guy and a true journo. A great newsman who was one of the best when it came to election coverage.

... over to the News at One with Dan Hegarty 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Seen him interviewed on 6 o'clock news, said he wanted to spend time with family and friends, they all say that when something else is going on in the background. Maybe his contact was up for renewal and was been severely cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭RINO87

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He was reported a couple of years ago by RTÉ themselves to earn €209,282 a year….

So by the fact that he’s been at the job for 25+ years it’s not unreasonable to speculate that there is probably a millionaire reading the news.

that said his BBC counterparts get paid almost double that so maybe RTÉ feel they need to push the boat out to keep hold of that talent..

63, I’d be retiring too.. enjoy hopefully a great and enjoyable retirement. Always seemed very capable at what he did…. And came across as a genuine and likeable enough sort… or as much as you can come across being a serious current affairs / news broadcaster..

Advertisement