Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a loan of a friends car - should I get named as a driver on their policy?

Options
  • 24-01-2024 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭

My car is broken down at the moment and while we are assessing to get it fixed or to replace it, a friend of mine (brother in law if it matters) is offering me a loan of his car that he doesn't currently use (he is currently abroad for work)

• I have a fully comp policy on my car that covers me to drive other cars (once I have permission and its not a hire)
    • My friend's car is also insured, i think fully comp, with a couple of people as named drivers on it (Not me)

For a temporary arrangement like this, am I better of getting added as a named driver or is OK to use my own policy as coverage? It seems like my policy should be fine, but just want to check whats the done thing usually.

EDIT: Car is taxed and NCTd in case someone asks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

Read the very very small print on your policy. Most only cover other cars third party, not fully comp.

Most have a limit in terms of number of days maximum.

Many have limits in terms of engine size etc.

It would be safer to temporarily transfer your insurance to their car. There may be no cost or an admin fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

On my policy document I have the following:

"The policyholder if they have a full EU licence, may also drive, with the

permission of the owner, any private motor car that they do not own and

have not hired under a hire purchase or lease agreement subject to the

terms and conditions of the policy."

I don't see any smaller text than that in relation to it.

I don't have a problem moving my policy if thats what should be done, but is it weird to have the same car insured by multiple policies?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭XsApollo

You are allowed drive the other car, the question is what cover does your policy give in that situation.

if you are not sure then ring them and ask what cover is provided in relation to driving other cars.

no need to tell them why you are asking that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭thebiglad

You are correct in your 1st assumption - get yourself named on your friend's policy, your policy as it stands will only cover liability to other people, not damage to the car.

If they have a fee to add you, just cover the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You can't say that ('your policy .. will only cover liability to other people') for definite - OP may have fully comp. cover when driving other cars. He needs to check the schedule which he got after his last renewal.

But there may be a time limit on driving other cars, the policy may have a vague stipulation about it being a 'temporary' loan. And fully comp. cover (if it applies) may have a limit in terms of engine size (TP only if the engine is greater than xx c.c.) and there may be a monetary limit on the cover for damage to the borrowed car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,873 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How much is the loaner worth and can you cover the cost of replacing it if you crash? If you can't afford to buy it then you'll need to try to move your policy over, if you crash on the friends policy both of you will be loaded. If you can afford to buy then just use the driving other cars part of your policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Iodine1

This post is the best advice to stay legal and for peace of mind should anything go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭con747

Can you not just transfer your insurance over until you decide to either fix the car or buy a new one. Most insurance companies will give a reasonable amount of time to do that.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Thanks all, appreciate the input. His car actually has a problem with it now too that is getting fixed so I haven't done anything yet but it looks like I'll move my policy over or get added to his.

Advertisement