Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conversational groups and events, would I be welcome as someone with rusty Irish?

Options
  • 24-01-2024 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

I’m just wondering about going along to an Irish language conversation group in a bar and if I would be welcome.

My Irish is really rather rusty and while I can understand a reasonable amount, I’d be really struggling to speak it.

I just keep seeing posts from a few ppl on Twitter who complain quite loudly about beginners going to events which are conversational, as they slow down the chat or expect language lessons and they’re spaces for Irish speakers and not language learners etc,

I found I learned German and French this way and learn rapidly from listening to and participating in conversation, but I’m just feeling like maybe I’d be gate crashing and would be unwelcome as I’m not very fluent.

I’m just thinking perhaps it’s a bit over ambitious or that I’ll just irritate people if I’m stumbling along making tons of errors.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,395 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Just go, don't be afraid of what other people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iniscealtra

The whole point of these events are that new people are welcome. As long as you make an effort to speak when there people will be delighted to chat as gaeilge however rusty you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iniscealtra

If you can’t string a sentance together then maybe brush up before you go.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Yup, this is the answer. I've gone to a few different events in Limerick over the years and usually I'd be one of the more fluent speakers, but the idea is to give as many people as possible the chance to use whatever bit of Gaeilge they have in a relaxed, fun environment. Everyone will have different levels and interests and backgrounds so everyone ends up learning something new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Plenty of rusties at these things. I would say make a real effort in the meantime to work on the parts you're weak on, i.e. vocabulary or grammar. I wouldn't expect someone at a ciorcal to correct your grammar for example, as it is supposed to be a conversation group. (depends on the group, of course!)

Is there someone you can practise with outside of the ciorcals? I sometimes text a Brazilian friend in Irish. He is learning through Duolingo, but SMS is enough for him at the moment. He wouldn't feel ready to go to a ciorcal but he'll try out some phrases and pronounciations 1-1 with me.

Say you're watching a show on TG4. Someone asks a question you understand and the other person responds. Pause the show for a moment. How would you have answered that question, based on your current level of Irish? Don't spend ages over it. Mull it over in your head, practise saying it out loud, or write it out: whatever works for you. Nobody is expecting perfection at the ciorcals, but this helps to improve your recall and responsiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I've been to a few of these groups, and they are generally very welcoming, so I'd say yes, just drop in.

At the group I attend currently, I've noticed several people arrive along with very rusty Irish, and most of them are well able to converse within a month or six weeks of weekly attendance. If you are within the normal range of language ability - and you must be if you have learned French and German, you'll be fine.

The other thing is that if you went to school in Ireland you are not a beginner, you have twelve to fourteen years' learning behind you, and the chances are that you have intermediate level which just takes a little practice to resurface.

Advertisement