Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract Rearing

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭WhichWay

To be fair the beef altnerative wouldn't do 1kg/day on silage alone over winter so example was just for summer grazing March to October.

Maybe only 0.75kg/day across 12months. This would indicate a lower rate of 1.70 or 1.80 €/day as the opportunity cost. If the dairy farmer supplies the nuts and medicines and suffers any losses then the rate would reduce.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭Water John

One variable that needs to be sorted is the nuts. Poor grazing season, needs higher nut input/day. Similarly, silage quality can vary and nut input/day may be higher. The key target weights have to be met with the dairy replacement. If they vary a bit with calf to beef, it doesn't matter much.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Add to that a rotary parlour and an underpass as well as new silage slabs. I know they were locked up with TB if they still are locked up I am not sure.

No not if you are running a profitable drystock system. 5+ years ago I reckoned I needed 1.4/ day to change. You also have to factor in that its a contract. Sone dairy farmers woukd have no problem pulling a contract at short notice. Most as well want.only there stock.on the farm that means if they do not have adequate stock for you you need to do calf to store/beef with there stock.

You have significant loading on grass in the autumn say 40 weanlings and 40 incalf heifers and no spring loading 40 yearlings. Its effectively double the soring stocking rate. You will have early housing and whime in theory you think with incalf heifers leaving in December they could possibly be housed since late Sept/early October.

You should be having calves as well sonobe should balance the other

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement