Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raheny 5 mile January 2024

Options
  • 23-01-2024 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, anyone have a number for this and not able to do it? Will pay obviously 😉

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Runster

This user: healy1835 was advertising his number for sale in the training logs. Send him a PM and see if he still has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

There's 5k runners. Looking forward to it. If anyone else can't make it Sunday please throw it up here. I know a couple looking for bibs. Will pay obvs.

Post edited by Silver-Tiger on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Looking for a bib. Happy to pay. Transfers can be done easily online until Friday at 6. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fairgame

Also looking for an entry if one going

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I have a race entry going. The number has been delivered to me though. Not sure how that would work for transfer etc. In Newbridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭chrismean

Hi all,

have never done raheny (and not Living in ireland so I’ve no real life pals to pester!). How early do you need to get to raheny before the 3pm start? With a 3km warm up, and no bag to drop, would you be ok arriving an hour beforehand? Am assuming there won’t be a tonne of toilets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

You'll be fine at that. I usually arrive about an hour beforehand. There's a fantastic atmosphere about the place.

St Anne's is great for your WU, but get into the corral early and into position around 2.45 at the latest, it packs up quick and it's a tight first km.

Ah brilliant, thanks so much for the info. Hope you’ve a good race if you’re running it

Cheers, thanks a mill, I am indeed. Can't wait. It's my favourite race of the year.

Have a great race yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭winstonia

Clontarf half marathon was 14c and another bloody 14c today. Not normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

Was the course the correct distance today ? 😉

First time running. Nice course, lovely distance. My own fault for starting so far back. My watch said 8.1k

Yeh it was spot on distance wise on my watch too!

well, ignoring the weaving from being a bit far back (my own fault)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I think they could probably do with staggering the start with a few waves. 1st few miles are too packed

Probably but I think it adds a bit of buzz and challenge to the race. There's a real art in positioning yourself correctly in the corral and in picking your race line over the first mile or two.

Love this race so much, every single thing about it is awesome.

44 second PB for me today, delighted. First race in the club singlet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dylanyahoo

First race event. Was good craic, never ran in a group before. Was sure I'd trip someone passing.

Actually managed a 5km PB between KM 3 - 8.

So whats the next Dublin event people are looking forward to?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Great event and I look forward to it every year.

One thing I would mention is the amount of plastic they're handing out. I handed in my bag to the bag drop and got given a massive clear plastic bag to put it in. Thousands of those being distributed. Could the organizer not get a few gazebos to shelter drop bags or just ask people to bring their own bin liners or whatever if they're concerned about getting rained on.

Then I walk down to the start and saw piles of plastic goodie bags (which already contain multiple plastic containers/wrappers) wrapped up in black binliners. It doesn't look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Rossi7

Class race and like Lazare said it's my favorite race on the year. Quality, debt of runners and atmosphere is 2nd to none.

My only bug bear was the cheap sticker on the plague that has replaced the club logo. It's the one "medal" I actually keep as I think it has more value than the majority of medals handed out given the history of the race. If it's a cost thing I'd rather they bin the tin water bottle and 4 drinks in the goodie bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

can't please everyone, I hate the plaque, ends up in the bin every year, but thought the water bottle and the healthy snacks (not tonnes of chocolate) were a big improvement for the goodie bag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

yeh agreed on contents of the bag and will make use of that water bottle too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Rossi7

More an observation than a critique, the Raheny plaque is as synonymous as the race itself. But like you said can't please everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Great race.

I ran Raheny last year. I joined my local club in April last year. I knocked just over 5 mins off my time!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Have run this since 2012 ish, but think it might be my last year.

Traffic to Raheny was a disaster, I left Lucan at 1:15 and was 2:30 when we got there

The starting location can't handle the size of the crowd now, it was very slow for the first k.

Road surface in spots is pretty bad, for the first time I was glad to get into the park.

The goody bag was alot less than previous years, no harm in that.

As for the Plaque, I would prefer if we had the option to say no when picking the bag up, it just goes straight into the bin, not really environment friendly.

What is amazing about this race, is the quality of the field, the atmosphere and the people out supporting it, plenty of noise all the way around.

Well done Raheny on organising, alot of work goes into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

It's my third time running it. I have to say I enjoy the race a lot, great atmosphere, huge crowd, great support and I like the course. There are probably a couple of things that might be improved like the sustainability aspect of the goodie bag but I think most races are working on that. I like the little plaque myself, it's a bit different from the medals. I'd have it as a must do for me. Well done to the organisers as it's no mean feat to get a race that large in Dublin across the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

That's strange as we left Bray at 1pm and we parked up by the tennis courts in St Anne's at 1.55pm. We came at Raheny from the far side and didn't really encounter any traffic until the car park entrance.

I lined up too late so was way too far back which wasn't ideal but coming back coming back from injury and just wanted a run at good effort which I got.

I really enjoy it despite the crowded start.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭CCR

Thought it was very well organised although the numbers could probably be reduced. Some target times sections at the start might help sort congestion.

Took the public transport option from Celbridge of bus/train/Dart and took about an hour and a half. A bit longer on way back but that's more due to public transport schedules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

I really like this race, has the feel of a giant parkrun. There is a different buzz at the start to other races, you have your serious runners trying to get the space to warm up, the not so serious like myself, trying to spot familiar faces. The craic in the coral, the club bibs beside the old charity t-shirt. The goodie bag, although I really miss the chocolate, the plaque, that one lone runner in the park who doesn't know or care, that a race is on as they run against the field. Trying to skip around walkers, or slower runners, I just love how one year, a walkers race time and chip time were the exact same, which means they started at the front with the 'elites' 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Did anyone get gored this year?

4280 odd runners finished it. I did laugh at someone saying here come the lunatics, when everyone was trying to get ahead. Took me 3mins to cross the start line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

The club logo was updated and modernized a couple of years ago, so the sticker is the new club logo.

Advertisement