Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Coaches Ireland

Options
  • 23-01-2024 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am looking for recommendations for a running course in Ireland.

I have run 2 previous marathons and generally run 2-3 half marathons per year. Currently running 5 days per week.

looking for more structure around my training.

Have heard good things about Evan Scully and Dave McCarthy.

Has anyone worked with Stazza before?

all recommendations welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭Trampas

Just use a plan from a book like p&d 55 I think it’s called or buy a plan online. Even follow the novices plan on here. Some coaches will give you a generic plan and make you feel it’s for you. Unless you’re getting some feedback and a weekly or fortnightly call and tailoring your plan then you’re wasting your money in my opinion. On the names you’ve mentioned I’ve nothing to offer but just some general suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

There are any amount of coaches out there really, some even post on here from time to time.

As point out "some" coaches will give a generic plan, but I wouldn't paint them all with the same brush.

A few other points to keep in mind are,

Just because someone was a good athlete, doesn't automatically make them a good coach, nor are some of the ones the shout loud on social media.

The question you would need to ask yourself is, what are you looking for in a coach. Do you just want a 12/16 week guided plan with minimum feedback, or someone that you can meet in person on a regular basis, or something in between. Do you want a coach that wants to train off heart rate or monitor lactate? Answering some of these questions will give you a base to start looking from.

BTW, personally I think having a coach is a great idea. It will keep you accountable for one thing, and also more than likely stop you from over/under training. It actually hard to believe the amount of athletes that regularly run to hard on easy and even hard days is all too common.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Hi, I’ve worked with Stazza for the last 2 years, having a great time, a great mix of easy and fast sessions….sure the time flies by I’m having that much fun!

ive previously used lots of books including p&d but being with Stazza’s plan has seen a significant improvement in my race results but also the volume of miles I can do each year.

any other questions just shout on private message

Advertisement