Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many people here have a landline?

Options
  • 23-01-2024 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭

My folks contract (broadband, landline) is up with eir so it's up to me to find a new 1. I could get a good deal if they would ditch the landline but no. Just curious how many people out there still have one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Set up a poll, then! I have a landline but I mostly use it to find where I left my mobile (when it's handier than using 'find my device' on the laptop). 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I should have done a poll in hindsight but I don't want to double post a thread.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I have one as it came as a part of the broadband package I initially signed up to when we moved in 10 years ago, and even bought a cordless phone to plug in and use the odd time, but that hasn't been plugged in for at least 6-7 years now.. so although technically I have a landline, it is not used.

My Mother continues to maintain a landline even though she's is fully mobile with both an iPad & iPhone..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭cml387

Landlines are on the way out anyway.

We have a landline number but it's through the Virgin modem now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

I rang eir yesterday about my bill being €22 pm more that what I'd pay Vodafone for the same package. They tried to get me to sign up to a landline for a discount and I flat out said no cos I don't want or need one. He insisted I had to get one for a discount, made no sense except that he was probably on a commission.

I told him I'd cancel so and move providers and miraculously he was able to get me down €20pm if I tied myself into a new contract for a year, which I'd no issue with.

So no, I don't have a landline but a lot of people on the phone yesterday would probably have taken one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

We have one, however, I don’t know what the number is. We only use it for outgoing calls or when the mobile signal is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

The issue I have is most deals I can find have limited minutes on the landline and they spend hours on it every week. All their friends are on WhatsApp they don't need the landline. Just stubborn old farts😜

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I have a landline but was stopped in the upgrade in modem and no longer needed and reduces Broadband fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Apparently I do. However there’s no phone plugged into any line. For many operators, a package with broadband + phone is cheaper.

It costs them nothing to provision a number over IP (broadband). If you use it, then it’s good for them as they’ll make money on the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Really forced to have a landline. No mobile coverage where I live and none for about 200-300 around me. Total pain in the arse when it comes to authenticating anything that needs a txt.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭jj880

I do but only because I cant get 500mb fibre. My parents got 500mb fibre recently which got rid of their landline. Their old house phones plug into the back of the Vodafone gigabox router. Same landline number ported over. They had a 6mb copper line before so theyre obviously very happy with it. They both have monthly bundle with their mobiles for data / calls anyway so they dont use the house phones much. They like having them as backup though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

You should go over and 'accidentally' take the landline phone out of commission (snip a wire or something), and promise them you'll fix it, as you just need to pop into a shop to get a certain wire on the way home from work tomorrow...... but tomorrow never comes..... keep it on the long finger..

The carrot of saving money isn't working, so try the stick and force them to do everything over the internet connection they are already paying for... Older folk can be very stubborn about embracing technology, but I always find once they get a few pointers, and start using it, they'll eventually accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

We couldn't function without a landline, as mobile reception is terrible. We've a legacy deal with eir where the fixed charge covers all calls to Irish and UK landlines and mobiles.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Had a VOIP 'landline' (01 number) with my broadband but never had a phone connected to it, dropped it when they stopped charging a surcharge for *not* having one about four years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I had a landline with vodafone and it seemed to be just part of the package, I am in a Siro area, but Sky asked for extra for the landline. At the time it was €30 per month for a new account.

No offence to your parents but if they are OAPs I think they get free landlines? or a discount from the Dept of Soc Protection.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I have one but it hasn't rang in years.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Long gone - was removed in 2014. It was 9.50 a month so didn't cover costs by then anyway.

People on living alone and fuel allowance get 2.50 extra automatically to 'cover' phone, nobody else gets anything.

Gov are such bastards, time to start protesting LANDLINES FOR ALL :)

Do they not still get the free TV licence?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have a landline number as part of my Virgin broadband and we had a phone plugged into the router for a while but then it died and we never replaced it, so another one who technically has one but never uses it.

• Advertisement

They do, and a contribution towards electricity, or gas - or bottled gas if they don't have electricity/mains gas!

I don't mean bulk LPG tanks there, there is a form to get a subsidy for standard Calor tanks for the ten elderly farmers left without mains power.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

No need for one in this day and age. Alarm systems etc can run on wifi/cellular.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Long gone. Was an absolute money pit, particularly when you have someone constantly on the phone to relatives abroad. No "special package" ever really covered it.

Now use Whatsapp on Wifi and despite endless hours of chat to people across the water, no enormous phone bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Stopped working a few years ago and was never repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Dont you have a landline automatically when you have broadband?

I'm on fibre for some time and with that comes a VOIP connection. Which is a virtual landline of sorts but its still what people would call a landline. And if you're not on fibre you're still on copper and while the attached voice service is still likely going to be VOIP rather than POTS its even more of a landline than fibre, no?

Anyone know why a Landline number can't be ported over to a Mobile sim card? For many it is just a case of wanting to keep the number.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I have the olde copper connection that I pay eir 10 euro a month on top of internet bill. They will have to strip the copper from my cold dead hands before I give it up. It works when the electricity is gone, I have terrible phone reception so it's a treat to have such a clear connection on the landline.

Having said that, it is painful being anchored to eir given others such as Vodafone usually have good deals on internet and are far nicer to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭blackbox

We gave it up when we moved house a few years ago.

We used to think it was necessary for a business but not any more.

No, but they can be to VoIP services like blueface

DSL can be provisioned without, cable and real fibre don't have a phone element

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Mine reminds me of this. You need to be an oldie to remember it!

Advertisement