Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Insured as a Learner Driver for One Month

Options
  • 23-01-2024 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hey all,

I'm a learner driver with a test scheduled in a month's time, and I'm looking to get insured on my friend's car for the month for practice/using in the test. I have been insured as a named driver on her car in the past for reasonably cheap, but she has bought a new car and wants to change her insurance over to it, meaning she would no longer be the main driver of this car.

Does anyone have suggestions as to the cheapest option here? She could 1) keep her insurance for old car for the month and put me on as named driver (and I pay her extra cost of staying as main driver for the month) 2) move her insurance over and make me the main driver.

Also, I understand there are companies that offer short term insurance as opposed to paying for a full year which I would rather do, but maybe that is likely to be expensive and moreso for people looking for emergency insurance cover.

If anyone has any advice it would be very much appreciated!

Comments

You’re not going to get insurance for a month.

That’s just about the end of it.

What you might be able to do as you suggested is see if your friends insurance will add you as a named driver in the short term. But policies are only as far as I’m aware 12 months.

Just to add as well, it wouldn’t be fair or right for your friend to leave her insurance on a car she’s not driving to work around you to be honest. Is she selling you the car or could you be in a position to buy it from her and insure it for yourself then for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭abcdefghijkl

Thanks, appreciate your input! I intended to pay her whatever extra she would need to pay to keep her insurance on for an extra month (if that ended up being more financially viable than being insured as a main driver).

It’s not really about the money though is it, you’re asking them not to drive their new car, so you can practice in their old one.

Buy their car off them and insure it would be honestly the best and fairest outcome imo.

If she’s otherwise happy to drive the old car for another few weeks you can likely be added as a named driver temporarily. I’m fairly sure insurers will happily add and remove named drivers there’s no need to take a 12m policy, but you definitely can’t get insured as a main policy holder for one month.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Looking to be insured for just a month puts you firmly in the frame as a suspect in the racket of staged accidents. Like it or not, that's how you will be viewed by anyone in the insurance business.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You should just insure the car you're getting in your own name, moving things around won't actually save you anything in the end.

So, insure the car for whatever the cost is now on your LP. Then, when you pass your test (assuming :) ) in a month's time, ring them up and send them the Cert and they will rebate you back any difference in cost for the remainder of the policy.

That way you'll be paying 1 month at the Learner Rate and 11 months at the Full Licence rate, and all in your own name and you're clocking NCB from Day 1.

No need to over-complicate things.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
Advertisement