Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards stalkers.

Options
  • 23-01-2024 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 66,934 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else got one?

I have one in particular who initially appeared on political/current affairs threads, never offering their own opinion but commenting on mine or my right to express it.

I get that kinda and am well used to it but they now appear on non political threads to comment again on me. Very odd if not creepy behaviour tbh. Anyone else have this happen?

Post edited by HildaOgdenx on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,414 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Hi!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Is it me?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭ULEZ23

Probably the case that with your 65k posts (fyi that’s on your OP before you accuse me of stalking) you are forever offering your input to multiple threads therefore it’s inevitable that your paths cross?

what’s your posting style like? Is it controversial and antaganising?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,934 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

As I say, I get someone being antagonistic, it’s them never offering a counter argument/opinion and appearing now on unrelated threads doing the same thing that prompted this thread.

Here’s somebody with no apparent opinion of their own trawling threads to have a go.

p.s. I do have what are called ‘strong opinions’ but so do many here. This particular poster seems devoid of any opinion on the thread subject, strong or otherwise, which is decidedly odd IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Advertisement

Maybe somebody could create a Boards posting analytic app to track your stalker 🧐 You might be able to make your own crawler with Python that could keep a track of poster and present you with a daily or weekly CSV report

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

There is a selection of posters who do the daily and indeed nightly rounds being obtuse, argumentative and disingenuous in posting with quite a number of posters, so it might come across as personal if you are a frequent poster and encounter another such frequent poster in this category.

Coding can be fun, Python is easiest, and using real life challenges can be a great learning exercise. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've yet to have one on Boards despite my many, many years of stalking others. I'm just not interesting enough I suppose.

I have had the displeasure of one in real life, that approached full on fatal attraction type lunacy. Apart from being friendly to the person? Never anything more, I was assaulted, I was stalked and surveilled. When I started seeing someone, they were threatened with disfigurement and worse. Went to make a complaint to the Gardaí and was given short shrift far too many times. It wasn't until I got hold of a female member on the desk that I was taken seriously.

The attitude of the earlier Gardaí was very much that it was a great problem to have and I was big enough to handle her if needed. As if her being pretty meant I should be grateful for the attention.l I suppose 🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Isnt that essentially what "now ye're lovin'" was supposed to do

I get all that. The odd/creepy thing is that there is never a comment or contribution to the actual thread topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I had a bit of a “fan club” for a good while but they seem to have moved on, for the most part.

There’s still 2 accounts I see pop up, from time to time, that seem to log on solely with the purpose of “having a go” at other users. They rarely, if ever, give an opinion, or comment, on the discussion. They only comment on other users.

Very negative people. Bit sad, really.

The tide is turning…

I hope you don't think I was trivialising a horrible experience like that. Not my intention at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Not at all Francie, it honestly didn't cross my mind. Moreso you gave me a segue to have a moan 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭chrisd2019

Take it as a compliment, no celebrity is complete until they have a stalker :)

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Been here since 2009 in some shape or form. Not so much stalking me now, but then the activity on the site has died down too especially since the vanilla conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

I'm looking for a stalker, preferrably female, non neurotic type, decent looking with a librarian demeanor, mid to late 30s - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I don’t think I’m being stalked or if I am I haven’t noticed it. 👀

there used to be a way to see who visited your profile, I can’t find that now, is that solely for subscribers ? or was it ninjad ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Yep, I have one who does similar.

They are more to be pitied than anything else, as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Someone came up to me in a pub in Dublin once and asked if I was Trigger Happy. Could be a stalker from boards or something to do with the shotgun in my hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Had to close down a previous account because some total oddball sent me a message claiming to know who I was. He’s banned now and hopefully getting the mental health supports he needs.

There was also some dude in current affairs who had over 50 accounts. Mad auld stuff when you think about it. No one changes their mind because of the opinions of a stranger on a message board.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - We'll leave it at that. 

Threads like this invariably end up with posters taking potshots at others, as is already happening. And discussing posters who are no longer on the site which is unfair. 

Hilda

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement