Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Small Japanese Car?

Options
  • 23-01-2024 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Need a small run around as a second car. Do very small milage. 60ish miles per week and short trips. Currently have an 03 Yaris which is unbreakable but rust in the back is going to finish it soon.

Looking at spending around 7k on either , Jazz, Yaris or Mazda 2. I believe they all have timing chains? Any issues to watch out for if they up around the 100k miles? Would burning oil be a thing with newer engines at that milage?

With the small milage would a Civic be a better bet? The price difference between a Jazz and Civic seems minimal.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭beeker1

Prius Aqua , 130k before break pads needed replacing ! The only maintenance other than oil changes was the electric watrrpump @ 180km , expensive €600 , but that's it ! Original rear tyres still , aces the Nct everytime , I couldn't say enough ! As for insurance co's with their "import" quotes disgusts me , we don't make cars in Ireland , they're all imports ! Tell them you've an after market immobiliser , makes quote reasonable !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭con747

60 miles a week I would be looking at a Nissan leaf or similar if it's not too big, it costs very little to run and maintain. Like this one https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-2016/36118092 I'm not saying that is a good buy though! It might be but I don't know.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭beeker1

If they're only doing 60 miles per week then electric , especially a leaf isn't worth the expense , they'll get 100 miles to the gallon from a hybrid without the worry of a clapped out battery that'll cost 10k to replace , Wouldn't touch electric doing such low mileage !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Mrdata.

Thanks for the responses. No interest in electric for now. Leaning towards a Mazda. I understand it shares same platform as Fiesta but different engines? Anything to watch out for if I go looking? Thanks for the advice.

Also with the low milage I could consider going up a class but Mazda 3s and Civics seem scarce enough. Anything else to consider?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭User1998

What a nonsense comment, you do realise a hybrid has a battery as well?

And no hybrid is doing 100 MPG

Family member has an older Mazda 2 for years, never had to do any engine work in that time, but the steering rack has been replaced twice, and it seems to go through suspension parts very quickly too

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive gotten 99 mpg in my Insight - but that was a Hypermiling test - just to see if I could get to the 100 mpg - 2.4l per 100kms

But you couldnt drive like that all the time - you`d go absolutely nuts. Drive up to motorway speed and let the accelerator pedal off and then let it drop to 80 km/h then do the same again and you can easily get 90+ mpg.

Around the town I usually get 55-60 mpg but hit the motor way and its probably closer to 45-55 mpg depending on how heavy your right foot is - they arent good for motorway driving unless you keep it at under 100 km/h and in eco mode. But its more fun to turn ECO off and use the sport mode though!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭User1998

Yeah I’ve hypermiled a Toyota Aqua too by not letting the engine kick in at all but as you say you can’t drive like that all the time. 60 mpg is more realistic

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Suzuki Swift is worth a look at too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭billyhead

For 60 miles a week, could you not consider a push bike or do you mean 60 miles in 1 trip?

• Advertisement
Advertisement