Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking about a Nissan Leaf for Mrs T.

Options
  • 22-01-2024 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for some opinions on this. I usually buy a bangernomics car for the missus. Her current 2007 Ford C-Max (bought four years ago for €1,250 & not much spent on it since) should really be replaced this year. Her annual mileage is about 5,000km so approx 100km of town driving per week. We have my ICE car for long trips. I see a lot of Nissan Leafs on the market from between €5k to €7k. While I'm a total petrolhead I wouldn't mind dipping my toe in the EV market without spending too much.

Most garages don't give much info on their ads re state of health of the batteries or expected mileage. Not sure if the knowledge is there or if they're being deliberately vague. One ad even says that their Nissan Leaf does 59mpg😁.

From what I can gather a 2014 24kw Leaf with 10 bars should be good for 80km to 100km on a charge. I gather better mileage is achievable in the summer. Does this sound correct. A 30kw would probably be better but not sure if I want to spend that type of money.

Question re charger: I think the Leaf can be charged on a 13amp plug (Granny charger) but I'm guessing that would take ages or would it work by plugging the car in every night. I guess getting a charger installed would probably be the way to go. Not sure re cost on that.

Sounds like it might be a cheaper way of getting into the EV market. What do you think?

Thanks,

T.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

Leaf 24 seems to suit her Milage. They were pretty reliable cars and if you ignore the Battery thermal management short comings, then as you say it is a good way to wet your toes.

Granny Charger provides about 2.2Kw average so looking at about 10 hour charge from empty to full. Only folly with this is there has been cases of melted plugs so fire hazard. Something to look out for.

Otherwise great car for this particular use case

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

You are correct. A 2014 with 10 bars would be more than needed and a great start. As a former petrol head, I advise you to stay away from EVs, or risk getting hooked yourself 🤣

Granny charging is OK, but don't use extension cable to plug in. Get an outdoor socket, or proper charger installed.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭_ptashek_

I've bought a Leaf 40 in December, still waiting to install a "proper charger". The 3kW "granny charger" does the job, especially if you're on an old meter, with one of the "urban saver" (day/night) tariffs.

Starting at 11pm at 30%, by 8am our Leaf is close to 90%. Getting the 24kWh pack from 10% to 80% overnight should be no problem at all. And you could spread your initial expense of going EV a bit this way. Remember about the SEAI grant too - it dropped to 300EUR in January, but it's better than nothing.

I got quotes between 800EUR and 1200EUR for a standard install (incl. the grant), depending on charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

Only going to offer anecdotal advice here on this topic, 2nd hand information from a work colleague not my 1st hand experience. Work colleague purchased a 2nd hand 2014 24kW Nissan leaf 2 years ago. Purchased for work commute 3 days per week, 60km trip to work approx. with charging facility available at work. His wife had an ICE car. Saw himplenty of times in his father's diesel golf in the car park so I asked him why. The battery couldn't get him to work in frosty weather unless he kept his speed under 80km/h. He found it OK in milder temperatures, again if he didn't drive too fast on the main roads, keep it to approx. 90km/h and he could get to work and back, just! He did say that he loved the responsiveness of the EV, super quick off the line or for overtaking but that buying one 2nd hand with no battery warranty or guarantee on battery depletion was a big mistake. He's after replacing it now with a 1.7 diesel Hyundai i40 so make of that what you will. I didn't even ask him what he got for the leaf, he was badly stung by it and I didn't want to rub salt in the wound.

Buying a new EV might make perfect sense given that battery technology has advanced a lot in 10 years and you'll be caring for the batteries yourself. But given my colleagues experience, buying a 10 year old leaf with little knowledge of the battery condition would be akin to setting fire to that €5-7k you've mentioned.

The OP ways the weekly use is about 100km....not the daily commute.

Your colleague must have purchased a Leaf with 8 bars remaining at most. Considering he then bought a cheap diesel after it, suggests he bought the cheapest 2014 Leaf he could find.

My 2014 Leaf has 10 bars (maybe 9 now actually....Will have to check) and it will do 70km at 90kph in sub zero temps. It gets 100km in milder weather above 10 degrees.

It's important to know the worst case range in an EV. Now is the weather to test em out.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

Fair point, on re read I notice that the 100km is mostly town driving. Was just offering the experience of someone I know. Not being anti EV for the sake of it. If the OP wishes to dip their toe into the world of EVs them maybe this is a low risk gamble, maybe not. Was offering a different perspective is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,859 ✭✭✭Soarer

Have a look at the Kia Soul EV too.

Would be more efficient and has a slightly bigger battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭sh81722

Is your colleagues car the XE model without heatpump? That could explain the poor range in cold weather.

And for the OP, avoid the base model. The heatpump heating is much more energy efficient on short distances. Also try to get one with seat and steering wheel heaters, they are just so nice in winter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You sound like a perfect case for a Leaf, as last poster said try and avoid the base model although having been a Leaf owner for 5yrs we did not feel the need for heated seats or steering wheel as we would just use the App to remote heat the car before heading off on the colder day.

It's an extremely comfortable ride and I would not be overly concerned on using a Granny Charger once it's hooked to a proper socket. There's a high probability a Leaf of that era will only have the standard 3.3kW on board charger versus the Granny at 2.3kW so there is little to be gained.

Also a Leaf 24 had 22kWh usable new so likely you are charging a lot less than 22kWh so a Granny Charger will suffice, preferably using night rate.

There is a €300 grant if you want to avail of a home charge point.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

I have a 2018 40kWh that I've driven for 5 years so - not a direct comparison however the range (and variance) described by Ghost for his 2014 is in line with my experience except the larger battery, and still having the full 12 bars after 70k driving, means higher numbers.

I regularly drive Greystones to Athlone (160km) when it's about freezing (max speed 95) and can easily get over 200km in Summer if need to (in reality, I just tend to drive faster)

Imo an old Leaf at the right price is perfect for short drives around town - and for that mileage no major rush on a fast charger either especially if you have an outside plug for the granny charger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭SharkMX

We have 7 year old Leaf 30. Charging it from an outside plug and granny charger only for the life of the car.

Never had a problem doing 500kms a week min on just the overnight charge. You wont ever be charging it from empty during the week anyway, especially with a small commute like your wifes.

Its always been fine for long trips too.

Always kept the diesel for long long trips but got another EV recently instead and now have 2 EVs.

The leaf is 7 years old, 10 bars on the battery and has done 140,000kms. Just did a round trip to Glendalough on Saturday of 135km, more than half of that on the motorway. The leaf did it with heating on etc and plenty left when we got home. Charged back up to 100% overnight then on the granny charger. Only ever cost us €120 per year servicing in the Nissan garage.

Normal tyres on it do the same distance as any other car before needing new ones. Had a 24kwh leaf before that one and it wouldnt even do 80kms after 2 years of ownership. Day and night difference between the 24kwh and 30kwh. Heat pump makes a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I have a 2011 leaf 24 with 9 bars as our third car in the family (Other 2 are tesla model 3 and ora funky cat, both EVs!).

The leaf gets about 80-90km in the summer and 50-60km in the winter. Especially the recent cold snap. Get a 2014 leaf or newer and make sure it's not XE spec so it has a heat pump and you can comfortably add 10km to the summer range and 20+ to the winter range..

We charge our leaf 100% of the time on a granny cable as it makes load balancing easier. I have 2 7kW chargers, a 3.7kW charger and a 13a granny cable plugged in.

The 10 bar 30 kWh has probably about 21-22 kWh usable, i.e. exactly what the L24 had when brand new. That's how our 8 year old L30 exactly behaves compared to back in 2015 when we had a brand new L24.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Thanks for all the replies. Some great info there. Is the XE the base model & is there a way of identifying the base model? Also how to I know if a car has the heatpump?

Thanks again.

T.

XE (UK Visia) does not have navigation screen and tinted rear windows and alloys so a pretty easy to spot. The top of the range is SVE (UK equivalent is Tekna) that has better headlights and leather, latter a really good upgrade helping to keep the interior clean with kids and pets and they also have the cold pack as standard, which could be had as an extra on the SV (Acenta).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

We have a 2012 8 bar Leaf and do about 100km a day (all school runs) with charges in between. It was getting about 85-90km in the summer and probably 65-70km in this weather. It's one of the older models without a heat pump, but also about half the price you mention in the OP. It'd do your wifes mileage no problem if you wanted to look out for a cheaper option again.

Hi All,

Still haven't bought a Leaf but not given up looking. Just came across 2 horror stories last week & hoping these are the exception rather than the rule. There was a 161 Leaf for sale on DD for €1,200 with the battery gone. Seller said it was a disaster & had cost her a fortune. The other person I came across had a 151 Leaf & would only do 30KM on a full charge. Hoping this isn't the norm.

Came across a really nice SVE Leaf & drove halfway across the country to view it only to discover on arrival that the "seller" didn't have the owner's permission to sell the car. Dodged a bullet there. Pity as it appears to be a really nice car.

Will keep looking.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

This one seems like a good option. Guy selling it has the full monte on the batteries.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/131-24kw-sve-soh-79-8-range-125-110/36496297

Full SVE trim.

Edit: Similar one here: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-e-tekna-5dr-electric-201515/36449815

Ad is hilarious. Described as a Tekna in the name, but as XE in the details (it's a Tekna)

Then has listed steel wheels when they're clearly alloys in the photos.

Thanks Prawnsambo,

First one listed looks nice but could be anywhere in the country!!

Mrs T doesn't like the red one😁

T.

Hi Tiger. I do think you were unlucky with those cars. Definitely the exception.

edited to remove details

Post edited by ...Ghost... on

Stay Free

• Advertisement

Thanks Ghost,

Will probably give it a skip but thanks for replying. I'm down in Kerry & also the missus isn't mad on the colour. Good luck with the sale.

Thanks,

T

I'm sure you'll get something a bit closer to home. Plenty of dogs out there. I looked at a 2021 SV today in a Nissan garage. There was mold all over the driver seat belt. Another one (2020) parked beside it had green moss all over the window trims. It's put me off looking for now, when my 6/7 year older car is in better shape than what I have seen so far.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Leave your car sitting up for a couple of months and you too will have mouldy seatbelts and mossy windows. 🤣

The conditions are always there, just need time...

Seriously though, washing your seatbelts is actually a thing. It cleans off the accumulated (and invisible) gunk and frees them up a lot.

From looking around for the past few months it looks like it can be hard to sell the Leafs. Also some of the garages have sh!te ads & description & make little effort so educate themselves on what they should share in the ad.

T.

I expect better from a main dealer. Have never seen mold in a 3 year old car. There was quite a lot of it on the belt.

It's a buyers market.

Stay Free

Advertisement