Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer lied on job advertisement.

Options
  • 22-01-2024 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all. Hope someone knows if I can do anything about this. So I applied for a job that advertised that it came with gym membership. I am employed there about a year now and I have asked my manager about this and basically was laughed at. It's misleading, I mean if I lied like that on my cv they could sack me? Any advice would be great. Thanks

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

If it’s not in your contract, you’re not legally obliged to have it as part of your benefits package I am afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭batman75

If you have a copy of the advertisement or can source it at this point you MAY have a case otherwise if really unhappy about this seek employment elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

• Registered Users Posts: 4 E11ie

Hiya yea I have a copy of the advertisement. It will do me no harm in looking into it before I join a gym myself 😁 thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 E11ie

Hiya, not in the contract but I do have a copy of the advertisement on the job site it was advertised on. Thanks for answering

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,662 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moderator: This discussion has been moved from Feedback to Work & Jobs.

-Shield

• Registered Users Posts: 25,713 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You can sack them!

Seriously if you're not happy with your package, just find another job you're happier with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Fair enough , but it would be fairly frustrating. There always seems to be a tough titties attitude when it comes to employees. Why on earth did they advertise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭cml387

Possibly some time in the past gym membership was offered but the arrangement ended and someone forgot to remove it from the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭blackbox

Yes, much more likely to be incompetence than conspiracy.

How much does gym membership cost? Is it worth an argument?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Do your colleagues have access to the gym membership perk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

if your employer covers health, with some health insurance deals in the past you could opt for limited cover with less bells and whistles but with benefits like free gym membership or a benefit to cover say 500(i cant remember the exact details).

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Perks in companies change all the time.

I imagine gym membership was a perk offered at some time, and could have existed when you applied for the job, but ended before you started.

If it's not explicitly in your contract, I wouldn't give it the time of day

Advertisement