Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceiling height in habitable room ?

Options
  • 22-01-2024 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

I've searched but didn't find a definitive answer.

Retention Planning drawing of cross section for a first floor bedroom ceiling shows 2424mm.

I inspected the house today and found the height to be just 2333mm.

I can see no reason why 2400mm could not have been achieved.

So, is 2400mm is recommendation or a requirement ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It comes from TGD part F. Section 1.2.1.7

Its a “suggested dimension consistent with good room design”.

What was the purpose of the inspection?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭joebre

Was looking at in in a pre-purchase inspection for a client.

Architect has signed off "substantial compliance with Planning and Building Regulations.

As he was seekng retention, why did he not dimension the ceiling height correctly ?

Did he qualify why it was substantially compliant and not simply compliant. Specifically in relation to ceiling heights.

If I was to give him the benefit of doubt, I'd suggest that the retention drawings were based on previous design drawings, rather than a specific detailed survey. If I was being cynical, a convenient typo obscured a element of blurry compliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

The Construction Professionals and Builder are obliged to know that the minimum height from finished floor finished ceiling in 2.4 m for ventilation purposes as per TGD.

It should be. I think even aiming for 2400mm exactly isn't very good. But wording of the TGD is broad enough to allow for considerable tolerance. It's, literally a suggestion, not a requirement. And as it's under part F, you'd have to establish that a lower ceiling wasn't achieving sufficient air changes. I suspect that's why is was qualifies as substantially compliant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement