Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inter connecting CO detector and Smoke alarm

Options
  • 22-01-2024 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I could only find a post from 2019 so not sure if the advice has changed. But I read that caution should be used when connecting CO detectors and smoke alarms because they go off for different reasons. Connecting them is not required and is usually only done to increase the chances of hearing an alarm.

Is this still the case?

I've to replace a wired CO alarm and when I hit test it sounded like the smoke alarm in the kitchen went off too. Wondering if I should ask the electrician to not connect them up when replacing them.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭meercat

I wouldn’t recommend interconnecting the co2 detector. When the co2 activates then that should indicate only.otherwise the occupants may think it’s a false alarm if all smokes/heat detectors activate

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I use the Nest Protect smoke and CO alarms. These interconnect wirelessly. These units also announce the nature of the alarm (smoke or CO) as well as the room that activated it. There are other nice features too, such as they connect to an app, self test, email you in the event that a unit fails a self test or is due to expire. In addition they have have a built in motion detector and pathway light.

The only downside for me is that there is no heat detector option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭10-10-20

just curious but is that the official guidance? I thought that point of having interconnected devices was that you have multiple sounders, but the triggering device within the group should show an notification by flashing an LED. It's mentioned in the EI documentation as follows:

With interconnected Alarms, when one device detects fire, all will sound. All Alarms will sound but only Alarms detecting the emergency event will be flashing their red LED alarm indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭meercat

I can’t find anything to back it up or refute it either

different actions need to be taken with a co2 detector than smoke/heat and if the co2 activates independently it should prevent the occupants ignoring it and resetting thinking it’s a false alarm.

I think if all the alarms are activated the occupants may not notice a small led light indication when they are in a panic to shush the noise

all habitable rooms now have a smoke or heat detector in them along with a co2 if required

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Oh, I think I get you now - so this doesn't apply to a mixed heat and smoke alarm group, it's just that CO2 would necessitate mitigation actions rather than complete evacuation, I suppose?

• Advertisement
Advertisement