Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How rural is too rural?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Lovely, did you move to Wexford?

The traffic is mental now in Dublin everywhere.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

14 Mins.. takes me 2 hours sometimes I Dublin just to go 23km.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭MacDanger

From the OP, the decision isn't rural vs (sub)urban; both are rural and it's 6km vs 12km away from the nearest big town - IMO, you won't even notice that extra 6km, go for whichever house/area you prefer

• Registered Users Posts: 33,769 ✭✭✭✭listermint

South wicklow probably throw a stone and hit wexford though 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭dennyk

Practically speaking, there's no real difference between 6km and 12km; either would be too far to reasonably walk to run your errands on a regular basis, so you'll be driving regardless, and the difference is completely negligible. Once you're in the car anyway, an extra five minutes or so of driving is nothing.

• Advertisement

Maybe, but one of these is a cheap taxi and possibly food ordering too. One isn't..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

This i live 1.8 miles from town (unfortunately uphill) taxi price puts you off going out. 10-15 euro each way. Still love where I live though

Biggest problem is actually no broadband and poor mobile signal. Wasn't an issue when we bought in 1997

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭MrRigsby

It can take 14 minutes to get through some sets of traffic lights in Dublin so I don’t see that as a big commute time . I live in a large house which I built in the countryside. The neighbours could be playing the drums and I wouldn’t hear them . I wouldn’t move back to the city for anything. Life is so much nicer in rural Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 19,888 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have neither, nor water, these past 20 years and genuinely pity those who do.

My taxi in Dublin cost me 26 euro 2 weeks ago each way. My taxi here is 11 each way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

But that's where you lived in Dublin. I haven't got a taxi in six years in Dublin, it's all walk, bus & DART.

Not sure why you're taking this opportunity to bemoan your decision on where you lived in Dublin, the op is asking about rural v more rural, not rural v urban.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭oceanman

Rule of thumb....always be within walking distance of a shop, pub and post office. a day will come when you and your partner may not be able to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Was about to say.

A real downside to rural is if you or your dependants or helpers can't or won't drive for health, financial, ... reasons.

Also, even safe walking and exercise space can be totally car dependent in rural areas

• Registered Users Posts: 24,766 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Or walking distance to a bus stop to those things. Some areas of cities don't even have those amenities within 15mins walking distance. Personally I could never contemplate living outside an urban transport grid but the OP's choice is between 2 rural houses so not knowing exactly where they are I would say both sound much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭suvigirl

If someone gets to the stage that they can't drive, they probably won't be able to do much walking either!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

6km from Shannon has a lot of villages in every direction, I doubt you'll be too far from anywhere.

Personally, having grown up out the country I would HATE to move back, I know Ennis isn't exactly a sprawling metropolis but being able to go for a walk without being in fear of your life (assuming there isn't a footpath near your house), being able to pop to the shop/butcher/pharmacy/pub whenever I want without having to use the car. BUT different strokes for different folks, friends of mine who grew up in Ennis couldn't wait to move out the country and would hate to live in town.

My suggestion, try it on a rental basis, if you don't like it you just have to see out your lease, if you love it then you can try to extend your lease or move somewhere else.

Definitely not true.

Normally it's vision problems or the person has lost either the physical or cognitive ability to react to situations involving high speed metal boxes but are well able to to operate at walking pace.

Living rurally can increase the care burden on your children later in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

There are many reasons people don't or can't drive but are still fully functioning and working full time jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

A big decision to make but things to consider when you are buying as it may not be as easy as you think to sell up and buy elsewhere, a few thoughts i had reading this thread if they are in anyway helpful to you.

• While the acre of land is a bonus, which one of you will be cutting the grass? it might seem trivial, but when you are cleaning a bigger house, and cutting an acre of grass/around tree's etc the novelty of the ride on lawnmower wears thin.
    • Can you walk/bus/taxi anywhere nearby? as said once you get into the car the rest of the journey time barely matters, what is important is what way are the roads, do they get treacherous in icy weather? (inclines?, too rural to be gritted? etc), What is your back up? what if one of you breaks a leg and an arm (it happens more than you'd think) and ends up in a wheelchair? or can't drive for whatever reasons? would you be fine to live where the house is? Do you have support/contacts?
    • Phone/broadband reception, so many people i know have bought recently and this seems to be an afterthought until they need it and they come looking for what they can get. Even in Cities/towns internet can be poor so what's it like in both locations. good mobile signal is hard to beat as you can personal hotspot if you need to. but poor mobile signal will have you forever with missing calls as they are going straight to voicemails and not being able to do simple things online on your phone. Check Siro/Eir fibre rollouts to see which if any each house has or if it is coming very soon. but nothing worse than moving in and finding your house has no internet or very very bad internet (has happened more than one friend)
    • are either houses on mains water or well water, when was the last time either was maintained properly (you'd be surprised at how many people are on well water that hasn't been touched since they bore the well) ditto for waste water, these are things that impact rural which city or town people take for granted. if you can talk to neighbours about power outages, how long do they typically last etc, some areas are slower to come back on board than others and if you plan to work from home this will be relevant.
    • If children are part of future plans how will they fit into each location, can they walk/cycle/bus to school/friends houses nearby or not. you'd be surprised how many rural kids feel a burden on mom and dad for lifts. it's a lot easier when they can walk/cycle/bus around with friends. (also for social reasons) Are you ok with playing taxi/school run person for years? bonus is though they tend to learn to drive sooner than their peers out of necessity.
    • Old age, you might be young and think its so far away but it catches up quick, and being rural and elderly is very tough, if you are considering moving back to town in old age will you find it easy to give up the homestead you lived your life in? it might seem an odd thing for me to type, but sentimental types are better buying their "forever home suitable for all stages of life" from the off if they can, rather than having to up sticks and move later in life or worse stay in an unsuitable home because it's too hard to leave (which so so many people do)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Good point -

OP, do you see this being your "forever home"?

• Advertisement

Jaysis, I wouldn't be happy with any relation of mine with physical or cognitive issues walking on the country roads near my homeplace!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I don't think having street lights and mains water is something to be pitied.

That's kind of ridiculous.

Which is why me and the poster I replied to earlier said this is a reason not to move to the countryside.

Your comment said nothing about country roads anyway. It just made an ill informed statement about ability to drive Vs walk.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Oh yeah, if you have children get ready to be a taxi service for EVERYTHING, even small things like dropping to parties can be a chore, if you are 15/20 minutes away you can't just go home and back so you have to find something, also getting lifts/car pooling can be difficult if you're remote. But all these things can be good things as well

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭bfclancy2

10 minutes from ennis town, ten minutes from limerick city, international airport, middle of nowhere my hole

The whole thread is about rural locations, would have thought it obvious it was rural roads. Sorry if I somehow offended you.

Yes il live in D4 or on the dart line, your contribution is buy a 700k house , gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I lived rural a few years ago, you had to drive FOR EVERYTHING... and that is just a hassle.

I now live near a Luas stop, with the office quite close to me, and shops are abundant, never again will I EVER go rural.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,322 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think we've seen similar threads here and in other forums over the years.

I think it really depends on the person regarding pros and cons.

• Advertisement

I guess back to the original op, is 6-12km from Shannon too rural, good god no, you have an international airport and might even have some public transport links while having all the main supermarkets nearby with a city not too far away.

Is 6-12km from somewhere like Miltown, or Kilkee or Doolin too rural, yes.

Advertisement