Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building on gifted site

Options
  • 21-01-2024 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Myself and my boyfriend are looking at building house together - his father is going to gift him the site and I want to use money I have previously inherited to contribute to building the house and remainder we will receive through joint mortgage. For tax purposes, my understanding is that only boyfriends name will be on the house. Considering worse case scenarios if relationship were to breakdown or one of us died I was wondering what rights would I have to the house or if there a way to safe guard my investment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭JVince

Draw up a simple loan agreement in that it is repayable if you split up and becomes null and void should you become married.

If it was in both names, you would be liable to pay gift tax on half the site value.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Dave_D_Rave

As your not married get a will drawn up this will ensure you have a right if he dies even though you are currently not married.

For the planning his name will be on the app solely more than likely as he will have the ties to the area.

Depending on how much you are contributing I'd be more wary of the loan repayment agreement money your putting in now might be worth a lot more to you if you were to be single and a couple of more years down the road. I'd put a bit more thought into it don devalue yourself.

Post edited by Dave_D_Rave on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

OP

You will not get a joint mortgage unless the site and house is in joint names. Is it viable for you to buy your half of the site from your perspective FIL and he and your MIL could gift the money back to you both (3K X 4 over 2-3 years)

The value of the site and the age of your FIL will be a deciding issue. If he is over 60 he can sell the site tax free using his business retirement allowance

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

Have you considered keeping your inheritance in your own account? Why not just add another sum of money to your intended joint mortgage? Or is your cash contribution an unofficial way of matching his ownership of the plot? Speak to a solicitor for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭SodiumCooled

I don’t think this is correct. The site wasn’t even in my name when I got the mortgage I had nothing expect a letter from my father stating the site would be gifted to me (no mention of my wife) and had no issue getting a mortgage. They have never looked for anything else and we have been drawing down for over a year.

The mortgage and house will need to be joint but the site shouldn’t matter and for tax purposes the site is often left in one name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

How long ago was that. My son is applying for a mortgage presently admittedly by himself. But every institution is requiring confirmation from a solicitor tgat tge site has been transferred. No requirement from us that it was gifted.

I am not sure did one require the stamp duty certificate. I cannot see a bank.veing willing to allow a site in one name. AFAIR historically they even looked for the sire in two name as inntge case of something happening to the site owner especially where the couple were not married it left them with a precarious lean on the property

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭SodiumCooled

We secured the mortgage approximately 2 years ago. I double checked again on the online portal and the site gift letter is all I ever gave the bank.

Advertisement