Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Bailey RIP - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The comparison of the Sophie case with that of Jill Dando is noteworthy in the sense that the main and only suspects in both cases got off scott free because of a combination of botched police work and freakish circumstances surrounding both killings. It is also noteworthy in sense that in all the intervening years not one single shred of credible evidence has emerged that might identify suspects other than Bailey and George as possible killers. All there is is hearsay. In the DuPlantier case theories about the Bantry Garda, Alfie Lyons, international drug traffickers and even an assassin hired by the ex-husband. All highly fanciful stuff, laughable really. As for Dando, executed by a hitman on the orders of the Serbian government or by M15 to prevent her revealing some story that was about to rock the foundations of the monarchy. Clearly, she was killed by some lone nutcase, a profile which fitted George perfectly. All the available evidence pounts to him being the killer, as is the case with Ian Bailey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Sure it was Bailey introduced the French hitman theory😁

It was then taken up by others . It's conspiracy nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dbas

Share the story then. Can't slander a dead man

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

How was there no physical evidence left behind if it was a case of him losing the head with her? I just don't get that. I am not convinced by his explanation for those scratches, but then again how would incriminating evidence not be left behind if the scratches were from her? He may not be guilty of murdering her, but he was most certainly guilty of being a lousy poet , as well as been a domestic abuser. Did he not put one of his Ex girlfriends in hospital? While he may not have killed her, he was not a guy I would be happy to be around knowing that he did things like this.

Any rational thinker will conclude that she was visited by a local caller with amorous intent

A chase ensued and she was killed in a violent rage

I just assume a lot of posters can't think logically . Maybe their brains haven't been trained to think clearly via work , training or education

It seems the only explanation for the Alfie and hitman theories etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I don’t think we’ll ever learn what evidence the Gardai have in this case- if they’re not certain that Bailey committed the crime, it will simply remain open as an unsolved murder.

While they may have compiled a level of circumstantial evidence it’s unlikely to be anything like the threashold required to convict - at this point we’d need at the scene DNA evidence and there just doesn’t appear to be that evidence in existence

I didn’t like Bailey simply because of his abuse of women - but I don’t believe he was a murderer - the Gardai and pathologist at the time had their chance to capture the vital evidence and they fcked it up - they’ve only themselves to blame- they should apologise to Sophie’s family but we know they don’t have the backbone to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

I was down there myself on the 27th of December that year and I would agree with you're late dad.

By all accounts he was alcoholic, and beat up his partner when things didn’t go his way. His own testimony was dubious, so was that of the Garda narrative, the Gardai really let down Sophie and her family by the lack of measures they took.

At least he was afforded the humanity of an attempted resuscitation, and maybe he only faces one judge now.

Unless overwhelming evidence emerges, we will not know one way or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭backwards_man

He was found guilty of her murder in a court of law in France.

He has never been found not guilty in a court in any country.

Don't think he was hounded really either

He mostly kept himself in the frame

What timeline? Please explain

I have followed this closely. Never seen a timeline contradiction. Happy to accept actual evidence but this thread has already got he was a wife beater, but he wasn't married, yes he beat his partner terribly if we are being lose with the facts of such obvious mistakes what hope is there for debate. Also that he was found not guilty, though that never happened. Lay out the timeliness. For the record I used to think he didn't do it. Now I think he did do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Christ he beat up his partner. Wife beater is a term . I wouldn’t get too stuck on it as some sort of major slip up of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

A criminal court case was never taken against him.

What made you change your mind around his guilt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I was referring to Barry George, main suspect in the Jill Dando case.

All the available evidence points to him being the killer, which is to say there is no evidence which points to him being the killer. There no evidence that really points to anyone, beyond something circumstantial like scratches on his arm, a report of a man in a hat walking on a road, and Bailey going on a drunk rant weeks after the murder.

IMO Bailey was his own worst enemy and went well out of his way to keep himself in the media and a person of interest over the years. A man who had no problem believing his own bullsh*t. If he had to keep his mouth shut and stay off the drink he would have been ruled out early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Bailey was convicted in court of assaulting Jules Thomas, beat her with a crutch and pulled out lumps of her hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,105 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There's a bit of a difference between being legally innocent due to lack of evidence. And being actually innocent, I feel that's lost a lot.

I agree the guards were incompetent. Especially the local boyos. That's not really evidence one way or the other, of guilt or innocence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

The man never helped himself. I always saw him as one of these English arty writer types who's happy to live in the ars@hole of nowhere doing as little as possible.

Still bad way to go dying on the street

Rip.

Anyone have access to the Indo? Would be interested in reading Senan’s article - I guess journalists will write what they couldn’t to date - we may get more information

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/senan-molony-i-never-had-any-doubt-that-ian-bailey-was-the-man-who-killed-sophie-toscan-du-plantier/a288271524.html

-Allegations of threats violence and forged life insurance with first wife

-Leaving the house that Sunday night after midnight to write an article for the sunday tribune there was no hurry with

-Told gardai he got the scratches chopping down Christmas trees on the 23rd for his sidebar selling them .Who buys Christmas trees on the 23rd ?

-No mention of the turkeys to gardai or maloney initially

-This was only mentioned to Maloney days later he believes to reinforce the "lie"

-Bailey wrote about a "champagne clue" 2 months before the bottle of wine was found

-Doesn't believe his claim that he never met Sophie .Alfi was 90% sure he introduced them.

- Detailed knowledge of the crime initially despite not appearing to have a relationship with the gardai at the scene.

That's the main points , mostly what I and a lot of others believe points to baileys guilt

Also the most likely scenario being a late nite caller rebuffed and killing her in a rage

Post edited by tomhammer.. on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Good riddance. Bailey was a violent man who severely beat his partner on many occasions. He’s not deserving of any sympathy and all those writing RIP and similar things need to give themselves a good hard shake.

I personally have always strongly believed and continue to believe that he did it. Yes the investigation was botched and the evidence only circumstantial but that doesn’t mean he didn’t kill Sophie. It just means he could never be convicted in a court of law.

And he certainly wasn’t hounded by anyone. He injected himself into the case intentionally from the start and continued to do so over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭farmerval

I read a book on it and the author believed that Bailey was the killer.

A piece in that particular book that the author placed a lot of emphasis on was Bailey being adamant that he only met Du Plantier once. He found it strange that Bailey hadn't made serious attempts to meet her as she was involved in films, he apparently was quite hard to shake off by people in the arts. In an interview with Du Plantier's son, the son said that at a time he was staying with his mother, I think he was about 14? she kept dragging him off to local pubs where a large guy would be reciting his poetry and playing his hand held drum, and that his smother would be talking to this guy, almost certainly Bailey a lot.

That seemed to blow Bailey's claim that he barely knew her out of the water. As far as I remember, he interviewed Bailey quite a bit, he was at the house he shared with his partner Jules, she had a family from a previous relationship, I think one or more daughters were there, the author felt there was massive tension between the daughter(s) and Bailey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Could you explain the huge difference you see when a man beats up his live-in partner, breaking her nose and leaving her scarred for life, and a man doing the same thing to a woman he is married to?

Do you think the fact that they went to a church or registry office at some point previous to the incident makes the beating worse/better?

I get that beating up a stranger met in a bar is different to beating up a partner - but not the difference here.

Advertisement