Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Isha - There's no branches down in my garden / Met Éireann were too cautious/not cautious

Options
  • 21-01-2024 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭

Mods delete if required.

Thought it would be an idea not to clog the main thread up with stuff like this.

I'll go first...

Viewpoint:- Not a storm.

Issue 1:- Not a storm, as a test i left the green bin in the back garden last night, when i got up this morning it had NOT been knocked down. I had also left the green bin in the same location on Friday night and it WAS knocked down...what does that tell you?? ( tells me i put stuff into the bin on Saturday).

Issue 2:- My dog walking class has been cancelled this morning, as a result neither myself or my dog will get a walk today.

Issue 3:- I have a flight to Nuremberg later today and Nuala Carey has yet to come to my house to tell me if it will be safe to travel to the airport, in addition to this Michael O'Leary is no longer answering my calls.

Ussue 4:- Martin King has drank all my tea.

Storm Isha - There's no branches down in my garden / Met Éireann were too cautious/not cautious 54 votes

Met Éireann should have had a red warning for my house.
    48%
    jhegartymike2084445279.ieGreyAlienGLaDOSDeedsieDavid1cherryghostredarmythomasking22008Sonocdsb46mountainy manGalwayGaillimhsaabsaabShponglerHobooThe MigDanzyTopgear on Dave 26 votes
    Met Éireann should have had a fluffy pink warning for my house.
    51%
    SpearhighdefRikandPolar101tb66derekbroMr.Crinklewoodalentejomr.stonewallfritzellyTelchakhuey1975john whyminibearrocky1813Pelvis Parsleybazza935topcat72Max HNigzcurran 28 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Nuala Carey bit, made me laugh..

Lid of my green bin blew open so it's currently a yellow warning for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Such a damp squid, as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭Xander10

Maybe, but are you ahead of the 11 am onwards starting time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

But the warning only comes into affect starting at 11am!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,393 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,871 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I want a dry squid level storm please! Or is it a soaking wet squid level I should be looking for. Anyone got the table for squid warnings?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭Northernlily

You might want to check that bin again OP...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,393 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Sure tis grand

• Registered Users Posts: 7,043 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'm nervous about this one, forecasted sustained gusts in excess of over 80kph for a 24hr period will no doubt cause damage, (East Wicklow if that matters).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

Ah jaysus bring the poor doggie for a walk yourself. You don't need a class to walk it!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Covid19

Ahhh, all the poor Dubs getting all bothered about a few gusts.

On a hill, near Knock airport here.

Seriously NOT looking forward to this storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

A lot of planes currently circling around Dublin airport as they cannot land due to high winds, plenty of storm activity happening already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭xper

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭TwoCats

My cat's ears are back at a 60 degree angle as he looks out the window, so I'd say we're a yellow here so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Met Éireann should have had a red warning for my house.

Of course you're right!

Met Eireann should switch over to your method of storm classification i.e. does it knock over a bin in a Dublin Garden. Simple and something everyone can understand. Amazing no one thought of it before all those coloured warnings stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

You could be correct. Cats for Wind. I find squirrels and magpies for cold spells are key indicators!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Same with my two. They have no interest in going outside. Tells me all I need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Condor24

Overhyped nonsense - at least for ninety percent of us. Coastal areas always get it bad agreed, but inland, meh, it's very rare to get a real bona fide storm, and actually in my time the worst damage has been done by a ten minute squall during the 'storm'. Those squalls can happen, but again, rare. I'm going about my business as normal anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

map to guide important decisions ...

................................................................ WAIT TIL ..................................

..................................................................LATER .....................................

.......................................QUICK BEFORE ....................................................

.......................................IT STARTS ...........................................................

................................................................................DAmP ........................

...............................................................................SQUIB .........................

........................WOULDNT SEND ...................................................................

.......................A DOG OUT IN IT ...................................................................

...................................................................................................................

...................................................................................................................

..............................................................SENT A DOG OUT ............................

............................................................NO SIGN OF IT NOW ..........................

.................................IS IT EARLY? ................................................................

....................................................................................................................

......................................................................................DAmP .....................

..................................................................................... SQUID ....................

.......................................NO JUSTIFICATION ...................................................

.........................................SPOKE TOO SOON .................................................

For everyone in west/north-west I wouldn’t be going out today, even if I didn’t have MS and can be blown over by a breeze. I’m not going outside of my apartment here in Dublin as I am. There’s a lot of people ought to stay in. It will be over in a day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,871 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

A Ryanair and Aer Lingus on go around again and Emirates which was supposed to be down at 11.20 having another go shortly. Horrible day to be flying

A lot of cancellations. Looks like Egyptair just aborted a take-off attempt, probably started to lose directional stability during the roll.

Correction - it landed successfully!

Ryanair from Warsaw going around a second time. Policy is usually no third attempt, so maybe diversion to airport less affected by winds.

edit - I see she’s flying east to UK

Aer Lingus Airbus just landed successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm over in West wicklow, hopefully the east west partition will protect me

A lot of diversions

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Condor24

I seen a few damp squids flying overhead, but we will wait until the rather rotund lady starts singing before I call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It's absolute bollix once again. Something serious will happen one of these days and nobody will pay any attention to a warning.

It's windy and wet. Enough said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,606 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Ride me sideways was another one

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Advertisement