Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive power usage, no one home

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,638 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Purchasing power is grid use. I just looked at another inverter i monitor and it shows up positive , How do other days look?

Do you have a battery?

What inverter do you have?

Have you caught it actually happening yet?

Has no one suggested the obvious yet, ghosts ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Easiest may be to check you meter in the morning, and check the following morning, see if the increase lines up with your app value, then start investigating the neighbours if it does

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

I think I will try this.

Failing that, a call to the installers.

I can also see similar usage patterns every day, a middle of the day large usage.

That said, I only have the system 5 days, so what do I know.

All days are similar, middle of the day large usage, then tapers off.

Yes 5Kw battery,

Alfore is the manufacturer of the inverter.

This solarman app is terrible, not even near realtime, need to see if I can get the data another way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I wouldn’t even do it over 24hrs, I’d do it in a 30-60min interval where the app is showing that you are using 8kW+

e.g. In a 30min interval where you are using 8kW+ according to the app, you will see 4 units clock up on your meter in that 30mins… if you, for instance, only see 1 unit on the meter then you know the app is showing BS and you need to get the installer back.

Did you get any spikes today on the app since it’s a very bad day for Solar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Can you check the inverter settings? See if its got a force charge or force discharge thing happening at midday. Disable it if it does.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

If it's bad readings, it should also be bad when the solar isn't producing.

It's a lot of power. If you can see it happening, start flipping breakers to see if it stops. (Leaving the inverter one on until last)

You will need to look at the screen if the inverter...

I wonder could it be the battery charging?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Surely the numbers don't add up? A 5kwh battery can't take 30kwh of charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

If it's bad readings, it should also be bad when the solar isn't producing.

Not necessarily. It could be interpreting/reporting the Solar wrong. Just making it up but something like it’s got Solar production set for 3ph or something odd like that. The high readings seem to be only during Solar production which was why I asked if he had any spikes today as there will have been little or no Solar today

8kW+ should be easy to find and he has ruled out all obvious things. Very few appliances would pull that level of power.

Well after a few days of turning stuff on/off and comparing the esb meter readings to the app...

The esb meter is not tallying with the consumption reported on the app.

Esb meter is on average 8-10 kW lower.

Suggests some misconfiguration I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭rameire

Could it be because the weather is terrible that its the pull from the network to the battery to keep it at the minimum charge.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's your App (or more specifally your CT clamping), I have my tails clamped into my Zappi and my Sofar inverter and of course the ESB meter itself, all three are different. I go by ESB meter.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement