Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suing Google (YouTube)

Options
  • 20-01-2024 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

The purpose of this thread is to see if there are others willing to join a civil case against Google if they experienced the same issue while using YouTube. The steps to notice this issue is the following:

1. Watch a video from a channel
    2. Subscribe to that channel
    3. Watch a few more videos
    4. Unsubscribe to that channel
    5. Videos from unsubscribed to channel keep showing in feed
    6. Click options on the video showing up and click "Don't recommend this channel"
    7. Videos still appear in Mix playlist as a suggestion in feed

Clearly, clicking on the don't recommend channel option on a given video should stop all recommendations from feed, though it is clear that Google doesn't want this to happen.

Anybody else annoyed who would like to join civil case against Google? The more the better as they're a powerful corporation with hundreds of lawyers. Mounting evidence in civil case against Google will rise the chances to win it.

-----

If you want to join the action class lawsuit and make it EU-wide (see EU directive 2020/1828), please message me here.

Post edited by alexgh on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Sue for what exactly?

Class action cases aren't possible in Ireland.

You can hardly sue because something is recommended. What's your loss or hardship as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 alexgh

Actually, there's a EU directive addressing just that: DIRECTIVE (EU) 2020/1828 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL

AFAIK, Ireland has taken steps to put it into law.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Still not law. And EU directive does make it so.

Still, what lose or harm would you be suing for?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 alexgh

Who wants to participate once the directive becomes law and extend the action EU-wide, please message me here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,108 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Class action or no class action, I'm not seeing a cause of action here. It's not against the law to give people recommendations they don't want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,532 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I wish I had so little to be worrying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Are you sure that you've cleared all browser cookies after unsubscribing from these YouTube channels?

Just a hunch but either way I doubt it'll stand up in any court.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Greengrass53

Yeah sign me up there. How much do you need. Would 100gs get it started. I'm good for it. Sounds like a really good plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bartkingcole

There is something here though. I use Google maps as recommendations for restaurants etc. visited a restaurant based on a recommendation and had a very poor (to say the least experience). I gave a 3 out of 5 (being kind) and then found that the review was blocked by the owner and I was banned from reviewing (even positive ones).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭con747

People, if you are on here reading this they will be following you through god knows how many legally acceptable ways and you will see god knows what based on all your online activity. I don't like it either but if you don't want that don't be online.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement