Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas boiler advice needed

Options
  • 20-01-2024 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭

I have an old Ravenheat boiler unknown model at this time as it heats rads in a 4 bedroom + extension + ensuite.

It also heats water in immersion large insulated tank as roof has solar panels fitted.

Not sure if i thought it was a combi or regular model as have to go looking for manual.

Is there a scrappage scheme going to upgrade my boiler and any good makes as dont/cant afford top of the line.

Any names to look for in getting a replacement up on wall.

Also need to know if the newer ones need to vent toxic water outside and this model pipe froze through the small pipe.

Cheers in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

MODEL

RAVENHEAT HIGH EFFINCENCY

PRIMARY BOILER

CSI PRIMARY A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

From your description it is most likely a regular heat only boiler - not a combi.

There is no scrappage deals / grants for fossil fuel heating systems currently.

Worcester Bosch & also Ideal are popular brands and decent machines. Also Viessmann but more expensive. Others may be an option too, but you would need to carefully check the warranties and service situation.

By toxic water I am guessing you mean condensate. Any modern boiler will produce this. It is not particularly toxic, but is slightly acidic and needs to be drained away. Any external pipe should be large enough to minimise the effects of freezing - so you wouldn’t run a small pipe outside.

Hope that helps.

Yes others have mentioned Worcester Bosch but photo does not show a dial gauge to turn up or down the heat.

Found the booklet for my model and assume about 13 years old so is that the lifetime of models?

Acidic yes that was the word i was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Yes, the Bosch and practically all others will allow for varying the water temp.

Modern condensing boilers don’t tend to last as long as older models would have in years gone by. But you would still expect to get 15-20 years out of a boiler with regular maintenance.

Ravenheat I don’t know much about. I gather they may have been on the lower end of the market cost wise and perhaps the quality may have followed, but I am open to correction on that.

What is wrong with it?

13 years old and has now developed another water leak and constantly topping up unit.

Flogas first bill was E747 with free brown underpants .

Previous service guys said it was a cheap unit.

Others have said to go with a Combi model but have a large insulated immersion tank that the boiler heats up , In summer solar panels come into use for heating water and if needing topping up switch on electric on immersion to boost temperature up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Lunar boy

I am considering to replace my house boiler, as this one is 13 years old now. Recently it was off and asked a trademan to fix it. The job done and worked for 2 days and it is off now. This person said to replace with a new one, as normally the gas boiler lifespan is 10 years. He recommends 25KW Glowormer condenser, asking 65% deposit to start the work. Is it normal to pay deposit 65% upfront?

Post edited by Wearb on

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lunar boy

What is the most reliable and popular boiler in the Irish market?

Advertisement