Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Two lanes into one road warriors

Options
  • 20-01-2024 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭

Right lads what are people views on this heavy traffic two lanes going into one about 1km ahead all sheep queuing in lane one .lane 2 empty passing away out and clown last time try block lane two pulled a bit into lane two I'm driving artic so can't stop easily nearly took door mirror off it happened few times now how are people so foolish 😑 if contact was made would it be there fault for unsafe Lane change? (truck has front and side cameras)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Very common in the UK. You are supposed to use the 2 lanes until the merge point but other drivers are just too think and ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Absolutely. Use it until the merge, then "merge in turn" or "zipper merge". Though these clowns are probably too thick to let you merge like that at the end.

If contact was made, you would have him bang to rights with your cameras. At the very least, an unsafe lane change.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The problem with driving up to the merge in the lane that is closing is that you have to slow down to merge, the person already in the lane that is open has no reason to slow down.

We don't have merge in turn or zip merging in this country. It's up to the person changing lane to do it safely by matching traffic speed in the lane they want to enter, the person in lane doesn't have to give way or make space.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If there was one thing I was thought learning to drive was never put a truck/bus driver under pressure. Mrs went to do something silly with one last week, I said stay back or he could squish you unknowingly, she said that makes sanse.

They're so foolish as they've never driven one. I was made get my car, rigid and artic all after each other. Never really used them except for the odd few jobs but it definitely makes you a lot more aware as a car driver.

Is it if you hit them in the rear it's 100% your fault doubt you can be blamed for taking the mirror though sounds like the car wasn't paying attention properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whocare

Yeah but nearly all time with truck someone let you in without any hassle as I guess they know you places to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,724 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've come across this a fair bit at busy times at Carrs Hill on the N28 from Ringaskiddy. Heavy traffic in lane 1 that will actively try and block cars in lane 2 from merging - including (for balance) a car carrier one day deliberately straddling both

Insecure asses are everywhere, regardless of the size of vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whocare

Carrs Hill for me too wear I run into road warriors

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Had someone try block me from merging over at a Garda checkpoint last year leaving Dublin city centre towards the N4 at Kilmainham. Everyone was in lane 2, so it meant traffic was backed up past Heuston and getting stuck at all the lights on the quays. I went into lane 1 once the bus lane ends at the Luas track and didn't even see a checkpoint up until I was approaching the traffic lights at SuperValu (500m away)

I drove right up to the check point and stopped, indicated to move over behind the second or third car and the guy behind them tried to block me. If it was someone driving down the bus lane to skip traffic I'd understand it, but I was just using lane 1 and have the common sense to merge.

He ended up losing me as he sat behind slow moving traffic in the outside lane of the N4, even though he was apparently in a rush...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

It's a common occurrence just past kilmaknjan heading down towards kilmainham. Amount of people who try to block. My understanding was the merging was a rule of the road? You're not crossing lanes (as most merges don't have white lines) and there's no yield sign?

Same as the junction in Sandyford heading down to Leopardstown

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

If i'm in the queue and the person tries to merge in a reasonable time before their lane ends, no bother, I normally leave a space but the people who drive past all the opportunities to merge then hold everyone up by trying to skip past all the traffic and force their way in at the last minute don't get much sympathy from me (unless its a nice car 😀)

My reasoning is that my lane would be moving much quicker if the last minute divers joined where the gaps allow instead of forcing someone to slow to let them in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭GTTDI GOD

Imagine getting it so wrong and boasting about it.

The zipper merge is the most efficient way of doing it. It is also the way it is supposed to be done in Ireland, but the Irish mentality of “I’m more important” prevails.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

'Your' lane would be half as full if everyone was using the roads properly. Nothing worse than people using bus lanes or hard shoulders to skip traffic, however staying in a lane until it closes doesn't qualify as skipping, IMO. People who refuse to let you in (when they should) are nearly as bad.

I drive through Raheny regularly and there's a section with two lanes directly before a traffic light, lane one going straight or left and lane two going straight (no right turn). Because there is a filter light for those going left, EVERYONE going straight queues up in lane 2, even if lane one is empty. This means you can get caught out and have to wait for an extra cycle of the lights if you're far enough back, so I go for lane 1 most of the time.

Once you clear the lights, lane 2 ends and everyone has to merge into lane one. All the lane 2 sheep presume they've right of way because they think the other lane is left turn only or some crap. The amount of aggro I've gotten from d1ckheads who don't know what they're at when driving through here is outrageous. I was even pulled up on it by a Guard once, at least he had the decency to look sheepish when I pointed out the signs painted on the ground. And this is on one of the busiest testing routes in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

Most people will see the lane ahead closed and merge into a gap in plenty of time.

Some will race from far back to try and get to the front.

The zipper merging makes sense, but people will take the piss as always. That's why people will block the lane usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Most people will see the lane ahead closed and merge into a gap in plenty of time.

Which is the wrong course of action, hence this thread.

Some will race from far back to try and get to the front.

This is only possible if people aren't merging correctly, like you suggested in your first point.

The zipper merging makes sense, but people will take the piss as always.

It's only possible for someone to take the piss if the others aren't driving appropriately. You can only go bombing it up the inside/outside if one lane has been left empty because of a load of early mergers. Just stay in your lane, wait til you get to the merge point and merge when it's your turn. Then you can't be 'skipped'. It's not rocket science, lads.

That's why people will block the lane usually.

I disagree. It's self-righteous pricks who are either mistaken about or oblivious to their own driving skills and effects on other road users that block lanes. It's punishment for trying to slight them, even though they're the ones slighting themselves. "Look at this cnut, trying to skip us all......not on my watch, sonny-Jim, I've had to wait for two sequences of those lights because I merged 3km back up the road, so you best believe I'll be making you wait too". The self-appointed arbiters of the road, determined to make everyone else get in line, no matter how wrong the line is. There is a list of stuff people get up to when behind the wheel that they wouldn't dream of doing in person. Deliberately blocking someone else while staring straight ahead is probably the most frequent entry on that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

The irony is quite amazing that you think the people who are in their correct lane are the ones who are the "I'm more important" mentality 😄

Like I clearly said in my comment I have no problem with the people who want to merge into lane 1 with due time and consideration as it keeps things moving but the reality is most are trying to shove their way into stopped traffic or do ridiculous dives at speed into lane 1 when they see some gap just to dodge traffic and then you have the lads who come right into your blind spot to divebomb in from the right, so this "zipper merging" you are talking about as if its some sort of traffic movement nirvana never really works like that in reality unless their is very little traffic and then its not required!

The worst offenders would probably stick in lane 1 and block people if lane 2 was full of zipper merging people anyway if its saves them 30 seconds, its just their mentality.

Where in our road law does it say that we should zipper merge? The only law we have is that the person merging has to give way to traffic already in the lane, which is the complete opposite of zipper merging.

Are you making up laws like the people who think they are supposed to drive in the middle lane of the M50?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭GTTDI GOD

I’m a driving instructor!

If people actually drive the way they are supposed to, there would be no problems! Both lanes should be full to the merging point, not an empty lane up to it.

Does everything have to be stated exactly in law for people to use common sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

It is also the decent thing to prepare to merge early and not at the last minute to get ahead of as many vehicles as you can.

Merging early is also a much more efficient way to drive.

This is so wrong. You should not merge early. Both lanes should be utilised up to the end. That is more efficient than merging early as it halves the queue length so it won't be going back further possibly affecting other junctions and whatnot.

Do people think they laid tarmac and marked the road all the way to the merge point just for a laugh?

In most merge scenarios causing tailbacks like you mention, blocong junctions is not the case, or may happen anyway due to the more stop start nature of traffic where vehicles merge at last minute. In most cases the queue jumper make the tail back much more erratic.

Signs warning motorists of traffic or lane management ahead are also placed well ahead of the merge to alert motorists in good time etc.

There is no one size fits all but where a vehicle can safely merge early, and not inconvenience vehicles already in that lane, common sense and courtesy towards other road users should prevail.

• Advertisement

Define who is in the left or right lane at a merge point? Because in my experience, the centre line defining the lanes disappears a bit before the merge point, effectively putting both rows of traffic in one lane, where they then have to merge into one line.

Someone using the lane to the end isn't a queue jumper. They're just driving in a lane. The fact you feel you need to label them a queue jumper is what's telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

In theory this sounds great, in reality there will be a pile up at the merge point. Zipper merging can I'll not work if people are thinking, leaving a gap for one car to go in ahead of them. Each one in turn. This doesn't and never will happen. Then as the merging has been left to the last few feet it means people will have to stop abruptly and wait for someone else to let them in instead.

That's why I and most others will merge in while we can.

We obviously see it different or you drive different to me. I am out.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭JVince

There's no law that states a shop must give you change if you hand over a tenner for a €3 cup of coffee.

In the UK they sometimes put signs up "use both lanes until merge" or along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭creedp

What's the old phrase often used... "it's why we can't have nice things in this country".

Similar arguments arise when reasonable people suggest its reasonable to let people out of junctions/parking spaces in busy traffic. Something lads will hug the rear bumper of the lad in front to frustrate this practice. Each to their own.

The default response of some to bad driving practice is the driving test😀

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If there was a universally established practice of zipper merging it's be fine.

But there isn't, and those who merge early are going to view those who shoot up the much less busy lane as skipping the queue and some will look for the chance not to let them merge.

No real difference in efficiency though, apart from a longer single-lane queue potentially backing up and blocking an earlier junction.

But that aside, if there are 100 cars ahead of you heading towards a bottleneck, it's the bottleneck that determines the time it'll take you to get through it, regardless of whether the 100 cars are in 1, 2 or 10 lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭kirving

Fair enough in slow, queuing traffic, but on a motorway you should merge left as soon as you see the signposts indicating that the lane will close ahead.

Invariably, there is a concertina effect in the left lane as drivers slow to 100km/h or whatever the road work speed limit is, and then you have some idiot thinking that then is a prime to skip ahead of 10 cars who are slowing in the left lane, before then trying to squeeze into your braking zone as they have nowhere to go.

The driving lane will always be the left most lane, so the overtaking lane will end at the merge. Only time the left most lane isn't the driving lane is for crawling lanes which will be well signed.

• Advertisement

The law on invitation to treat says that the shop can consider your €10 a counter offer to them asking for €3.

The law says that you have to give way when merging. We aren't the UK or Australia etc.

Advertisement