Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost in Translation (2003)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Gympodie

Just to psychoanalyze, it seems that Charlotte's mindset was prompted by feeling abandoned by her husband.  Her husband's shallow character is an obvious foil to her deeper nature, and all of the people her own age that she meets in Japan are equally vapid and immature. Thus her relationship with Bob takes on much more significance.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,441 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I was over in October for two weeks and the yen currency conversion was crazy good. Made the whole trip a lot cheaper than I thought it was going to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Astartes

I can't watch this film, it reminds me too much of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

I only saw the movie once when it came out and then coincidentally watched it a few nights ago.

I lived in Japan(not Tokyo but have spent a lot of time there) for a few years in the intervening years.

Sometimes if you watch movie 20 years later you might feel differently about it,you're at a different place in your life etc.However it still connected with me all these years later.It's a great film,the atmosphere, the music the chemistry and the star of the show is the city.

• Advertisement

Yes, I was the same. I re-watched it last year, after many years, and it still held up for me - it had the same impact.

I can't tell you how many people have told me that just don't get "Lost in Translation." They want to know what it's about. They say "nothing happens."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭McFly85

Watched this again yesterday, still a wonderful film that manages to evoke the same feelings that it did since I watched it last! Hard to believe Johannson was only 17 filming that too.

Also, I see the Park Hyatt is closing this year to be renovated, and the New York Bar closed earlier this month for the same reason.

I’d still go back whenever I find myself there again for the views alone but will be a tad disappointing that it looks different. Hopefully it retains the same feel.

Absolutely, LIT isn't for everyone. They will call it boring, lifeless, limp. There are people, I realize, who have never experienced that kind of longing, who had never sought meaning in their lives, and searched for their own lost souls. They live for the here and now, without giving a thought to the spiritual aspects of life. It is a love affair not of bodies, but of minds and spirits. Some this movie will make angry. Some this movie will make weep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I've often experienced longing. I think we all have. But it doesn't mean that guys in their 50's should be preying on teenagers to satisfy that longing desire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Pretty certain that this is probably trolling but just in case not...

She's at least in her 20's in the movie as she's already married and has finished college. As for "preying" on her, if you actually watch the film she initiates most of the physical contact between them and is constantly glancing at him, far more than him at her. The final culmination of her supposed victimisation is a hug leading to a 2 second kiss on the lips followed by a kiss on the cheek. That's it. I think you're being a smidge hyperbolic in your criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

Advertisement