Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best insurance deals for EVs?

Options
  • 19-01-2024 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭

Renewal for ID3 came in now: 526 vs 468 last year from Zurich

Any thoughts on alternatives?

Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Post edited by liamog on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I insured my 520D MSport with Aviva last year it was €550 for fully comp, protected NCD and limited business use. When I switched to the Ioniq 6 midway through the policy, I received a refund of €125, so that probably puts the annual policy cost somewhere in the early €400's at the moment.

I don't think Aviva have dedicated deals for EV's, but they seem to be quite competitive just at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I went with Liberty last year for my Kia Soul EV. Previously I was with "Its for Women" but their renewal came in at about €800 when the time came. Got the same coverage (or as close as possible) from Liberty for around the €400 mark in the end.

I think the general rule for EV insurance is the same as for ICE... Shop around and don't think that loyalty counts for anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Myself and my brother got good quotes from Aviva.....

I got 430 on a RWD Model 3.

My Brother sub 400 quid on BYD Seal.

Both were pre purchase quotes - ie we dont own the cars (YET).....

As always with insurers quotes will vary depending on cad, driver and even where you live.

I'm sure the risk factor is higher in Dublin City then it is in a rural area for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

Shop around, quotes seem to be random numbers. Try brokers, non brokers and haggling over the phone. I like chill.ie for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I have multiple policies with Aviva and I've paid €328 (2024), €310 (2023) and €310(2022) on the EV for the last 3yrs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Leitrim/Roscommon addresses?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Do you not want NCB protection? Usually an extra

Good question, just looked at the exiting, its 25 euro, but I dont know what level of protection it offers, anyway have 14 days....

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

My understanding is the insurance premiums for EVs currently on offer are competitive and in fact underprice the underlying risk insured. Issues such as cost of component replacement, potential fire risk, and greater severity in accidents due to stronger acceleration etc have yet to work their way through. It will be interesting to monitor in the years ahead.

• Advertisement

Advertisement