Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three blocking AIB verification texts

Options
  • 18-01-2024 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice.

Anyone ever had issues with Three blocking AIB verification texts. I changed provider and texts from AIB (so I can set up the app) wont come through on Three. No help from Three so far. Actually it is very difficult to get any help or advice as to what the issue is or how to fix it.

Only option might to be change provider again.

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭rhinosaurious

Happened to me aswell on three when I was shopping around and after dealing with support for hours on end they said buying a new phone would "fix" it. Enough was enough so I switched to Vodafone as I was also with them previously and it worked again fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

ah god. It is a new phone but I'm already tempted to switch back. Support are absolutely useless - shocking how bad they are.

Might be better off switching back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Happens on a few networks. I assume its a porting issue, since it only happens after a port.

cheers -Three do block the SMS from AIB so not porting issue as such. I got that confirmed but havent been able to sort out why or if there is a fix yet. Own fault I should have done more research before moving.

Cant sort much as weekend but might just have to move back. All very odd.

So your theory is one of the countries main phone provider blocks texts from one of the main banks, making them incompatible for half the population. How likely is that?

It's more likely porting issue, happens occasionally and not just with three. They will have to redo the port. You probably won't get them outside of mon-fri

https://community.three.ie/t5/Bill-Pay-Plans-and-Services/Do-not-receive-text-messages-from-banks-and-Apple-and-others/td-p/775480

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

I switched to Three recently and had this issue; just jump on a live chat and they’ll sort it for you, the guy gave me a ticket number and said they’d work on it. I was expecting a few days delay but it was sorted within an hour or two afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I have been on three for a good few years, and AIB even longer and never had this problem.

I only heard of it after porting. So if you aren't porting, you'd never see it. In my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Cyloncity

I have the same issue with eir, changed a while back but I think it was working after I changed for a while. Not now though. I have to open the app and then it pops to the correct screen. Would like to hear if you get it resolved op

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KildareP

It is a porting issue and a not uncommon one too.

Chances are people on one or more of the other networks can't call or text you either (but you'll be able to text them) nor can anyone who uses the same bulk provider as AIB, but you've only noticed AIB so far.

Each operator has a database they can look up to see where any given number resides at that time in order to route calls and texts to the correct place.

When you port each operator should receive an instruction to update their database to say your number is no longer with X network and is now with Y. Sometimes that doesn't happen properly so one or more networks will continue to try and route your calls/texts via your old operator which will fail.

If you port back to your previous operator then this often appears to "fix" the issue because the out of date database is now technically correct again.

If you port to a third operator Z this won't fix it either because the database sees an instruction coming from Y, but as far as it is concerned you are still with X, so the instruction is invalid.

Your only solution, bar going back to your previous operator, is to push Three to correct it - they can manually resubmit the update request to the various networks which will fix the problem.

wow - different experience for me. Chat, called, three care, posts on the community and 2 formal complaints. 5 days contacting them daily and eventually fixed the issue. When I logged it first they did nothing just closed the call and didnt tell me so glad I chased it. No clarification as to why Three blocked AIB so maybe I had a different issue.

thanks - I pushed and pushed and Three finally fixed it. It was only AIB and never got an explanation as to why they block AIB. They claim it isnt a porting issue but also claim Three block AIB (have both explanations in writing).

Three are absolutely shite - my bad for not researching them properly. Took 5 days to get fixed and that was me harassing them constantly to fix it. And I got a partial refund on the cost of the phone as I bought a new one too.

I wasnt aware that could happen or how bad Three are so lesson learnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

Glad you got sorted. When I ported, verification texts for everything (Steam, Revolut, BOI etc.) weren’t working for me. The only one I couldn’t get around via other means was BOI and I had to call them (BOI) to sort it in the end, likely a security protocol of some sort on their side I’d imagine.

all very odd. BOI app had no issues. Even when the SMS messaged was sorted I still had to wait for a letter from AIB before I could finally set up online banking again.

Decided to port back to previous provider but will wait until after pay day.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

A friend is having the same issue with GOMO and Aib. Problem ongoing now for one month now.

jaysus. Their app is stupid in fairness. BOI no probs - all set up in a matter of mins. AIB have to send you a feckin letter with a code and then finally you get access (but you need the SMS first).

Advertisement