Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Curtis

Options
  • 18-01-2024 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

So, im sure people have heard the news and thought are with Ryan and this hard time.

I was fairly shocked hearing the injuries he sustained at training nevertheless.

Broken back, dislocated spine etc.

Im at a loss to understand how this could happen at a training session and how hard youd need to be going to get such catastrophic injuries?I know my gym and others only spar about 60/70% so was shocked when i heard Ryans story.

Anyone know the backgroud and how he sustained those injuries?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Iv NO idea what happen or how it happened,

But at a guess you'd imagine a take down or a grappling scramble where he landed on his neck with someone else weight on him ? Hard to see how it happens striking ?

Again that is just a guess,

Best of luck to him & his family , its terrible news,

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭rondog

Yes ,be very certain it didnt happen striking .No doubt it was wrestling /BJJ but who would risk complete a takedown where you are driving the head into the mats?.If it was a take down from behind and the training partner completed the move knowing the potential results then i wouldnt be too happy with them. I was thinking if BJJ and it wa a guilluitine or something similar it must have been applied with some force but then again its all specualtion.Im sure his training partner feels awful but whatever happened it went very wrong.

Like you say yourself it would have to be grappling based,

No word of what gym ?

I hope it wasn't a neck crank or something stupid by a bigger stronger training partner but at the same time it could have been Ryan going for a take-down himself & slipping or bringing his partner down on top of himself , Or something they have down 100's of times together & a slip meant it went wrong,

Its impossible to guess , we all have no idea

I hope he can recover the best he can & live a good life, Its just very sad

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He's fighting out of fight academy in Belfast, think he was previously with Roddy @ SBG Charlestown

Thats right ,the same Gym as Leah mccourrt(who set up the gofundme).

Im sure whoever caused the injuries feels like sh1t and no one is looking for names just curious how training can lead to such a catastrophic injury.

• Advertisement

Turns out he was body locked (arm trapped on falling side) , he was taken down on to his head, so his own & his partners body weight landed on his neck ,

That is form Leah on MMA hour,

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

the gym has always had a reputation for **** behaviour and people taking liberties

WOw! So ,wasnt a freak accident or unintentional move, thats a d1ck move and anyone with a bit of sense or experience knows what that move can do.Id be EXTREMELY pissed off if i ended up in a wheel chair for th rest of my life over that.

Iv no idea but that is what Leah said on the MMA hour, She didn't say he was intentionally taken down on his head, Could very easy still be an accident ,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

In sparing/training with a person new enough to MMA German Suplex type move not overly used in MMA and definitely a very easy move to mismanage a very tragic situation but to think there was any intention to cause injury is just a snap reaction to the fact that it's actually ended up causing a tragedy. Gods help Ryan such a great fighter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

We're reading it that description in a very different way. What are you calling a dick move? That's usually to describe moves unnecessarily painful (grinding somebodys face with elbows, knuckles etc). I wouldn't put body lock TD anywhere near that. Sounds like it was a freak accident and a bad landing to me (unless there is missing info like the guy was a HW).

It's very hard to understand that first run on sentence. Are you saying somebody new to MMA suplex'd him on to his head?

Mellor i would imagine both replies are from people who have never grappled , ( nothing wrong with that ) ,

The mention of a German suplex is bizzare, In all probability it sounds to me like a quick scramble, Curtis arm got trapped & he he was accidental brought down on his neck,

Its just that 1 in a million time that it went badly wrong ,

That's how I imagined it. Sometimes an opponent reacts unexpectedly and a move goes awry.

It sounded to me like the guy went for a hip throw, Ryan maybe turning away, and they both go down. Ryan landing on his head/neck. Looks like he is out of ICU and the neck brace if off. Which is positive. I imagine recovery will be slow. I wish him and his family all the best.

I have grappled, basic enough wrestling and BJJ for years.If he was body locked and an arm trapped on his falling side as was described above then to slam someone down that cant at least break a fall with their hands /arms is a complete d1ck move.If there was a stronger term id use it.When the arm is tapped in a body lock and the person doing the throw /slam is elevated in any way then its a very high probability that you will come down on the head/neck area and the only outcome there is an injury, i cant see any other way .Even if there is no force applied its still two peoples weight coming down on a very fragile area of the body.

Rondog if you have grappled you know yourself that its not a WWE move where you get into position take a second or two and then go for the move,

The guys could be in a scramble,Your behind your opponent trying to take his back he starts to getting up to his feet & you have a body lock with your hands to drag him back down , he puts one hand/arm in to break the lock but as he does you've already started the motion to trip him back to the mat & boom you land on his neck with his hand trapped,

These things happen within split seconds in a scramble your both flowing from one trip / lock/ position / defence , You can't blame someone without being there and seeing exactly what went on ,

I just pray the lad makes a full recovery ,

In a body lock you are aiming to take somebody down to the side or back. Most hip throws involve taking away the use of the falling arm (think of a simple judo hip throw). Trapping the arm is normal and not some dangerous dick move. I think it’s easier to turn them right on to their back with their arm in as you have better control on the shoulder. But it’s easier for them to defend with their arm in.

You don’t use the arm on the falling side to breakfall. You turn in and breakfall with the far arm. Please don’t make a habit of posting with the falling arm to catch the impact. That’s a dangerous mistake that causes a lot of broken arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

And torn rotator cuffs 🤕

Seems Ryan might be moving on to rehab soon, hopefully he gets all the help he needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Some very encouraging videos of Ryan the last couple of days. I really hope he gets out of hospital soon

Advertisement