Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clogherhead for hols

Options
  • 18-01-2024 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

I'm thinking of taking the family to Clogherhead on our summer hols this year and there looks to be a few nice places on Air B&B. Apart from the beach and cliff walk is there anything else to see and do around? What about shops, restaurants etc? There's no much showing up on Google maps apart from a few takeaways.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

lol, there is not much showing up because there isn’t much there.

Drogehdha close for restaurants. Fantasia for the kids. Newgrange close by, by car.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,980 ✭✭✭✭event

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

Clogherhead is a lovely spot for a couple of hours - but wouldn't be bringing the family there for a holiday ! I live a few miles away and walk the beach there most days .. its lovely and nice coffee shop .... smugglers rest for some pub grub .. but get in to the car and drive home afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭krusty411

Go to somewhere up in cooley, my friend got an air B&B in carlingford last summer overlooking the lough, said it was great. I like clogherhead for the walks but I wouldn't want to stay out there as a holiday.

Carlingford is great, but plagued by stags and hens all summer unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

It's a small village that used to be touristy back in the 90s.

There's a cliff walk and La Pizzaria is good restaurant, but that's the height of it. The beach is alright, but there's nothing that really stands out about clogherhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Do not stay for any length of time in clogher , I live close by too , it’s fine to walk the pier / rocks area / nice beach , but a holiday there defo no no , unless you get a heatwave ( unlikely ) and could flake out in the sun for the week .

My advice , don’t do it to yourself, you’ll end up basing yourself in clogher and getting in the car every day to find fun / adventure elsewhere .

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭krusty411

Yeah, that's a bollix but it's a great area to holiday in as there's plenty within short driving distance to do with kids.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I've a mobile in one of the parks on the beach.

There's not a lot to do, especially if the weather isnt great. You will also get bored of the beach even if the weather is good.

You could use it as a base, but you'll spend a lot of time driving..

Yeah fair point. Its a lovely part of the country

• Advertisement
Advertisement